atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello,

Six years ago, we bought an Electra Elite 192 with a bunch of phones and a NEC VMS(2)-U10 with the 4 port activation code upgrade for about $15,000 including installation. The hard drive failed a few weeks back on the VMS. The dealer never gave us the upgrade activation code and they now claim to have no records relating to our installation.

Our dealer said our only option was to replace the VMS card for $3500 and pay them $350 for the labor to install and configure it. I decided it wasn't worth that and decided to figure out how to repair it. I suspect that they are just money grubbing because they think we won't wise up.

I've managed to replace the hard drive (a $14.95 used part, by the way) and restore the VMS software, but when viewed from Cosession, it is prompting me for an activation code before it will let the system start.

Is there a way to get a replacement activation code for this card? We don't need a whole new card because the one we've got works just fine now that the hard drive has been replaced. We just need to reactivate the VM software.

I'm fine with the grey market if necessary. We legitimately own the hardware and are now legitimately trying to repair it so I have no problem with getting an activation code in a less than formal manner if required.

Paying $3500 for a new card when a $14.95 hard drive failed is simply not a reasonable option. As it is, I'm already paying for the trip the dealer took to our office to tell me something I already knew - the hard drive failed.

Can anyone help me out here?

------------------
Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney

[This message has been edited by advantagecom (edited April 18, 2005).]
you'll have to get nec to give you the code. they are the only ones able to give out that info.
I can't seem to get anyone at NEC to return my calls, emails, or the forms on their web site. Is there a trick to reaching someone at that company?

They like to refer you back to your original vendor, but our original vendor is completely unresponsive on this issue. They're annoyed that I won't just shell out the $3450 to replace the entire card when it was just a $19.95 hard drive that failed.

Anyone have any contacts within NEC that might be able to help us with this?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help