atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: boxster NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/07/06 02:21 PM
I have a NEC Aspire (IP Phone) which I am using to connect to my office where we have a NEC system IP phone system setup.

Here is my setup.

I have a DSL line coming from (SBC) with a DSL modem. I have hooked up my Linksys WRTP54G router (which supports VoIP and QoS) to this DSL modem. And then I have connected my NEC IP phone to one of the Ethernet ports on this linksys router. But this phone is unable to get a pvt IP from this linksys router. I am getting the message while it trys to find DHCP server. Message :"DRS (1) First ....Connection Timed out".

My laptop and desktop is able to surf internet fine using same router (router assigned 192.x.x.)to these devices.

I know we have to have a VPN tunnel in place which we do but my understanding is that this IP phone is like just any other computer and router should assign a pvt IP internally before it goes out. Any suggestions?

For test purposes I took the same IP phone to my office LAN (where we have this NEC system setup) and hooked up to one of the wall jack and it grabbed the IP.

Any help on this would be great..

TIA.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/07/06 10:47 PM
You can turn off DHCP and manually assign an IP address to your phone. You may also need to eliminate a prior IP address. Either of those may solve the problem. Also verify subnet mask and gateway.

I typically assign IP addresses manually because DAta people are not above making changes to the DHCP server or changing the available IP range.
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/07/06 10:49 PM
Also, make sure that the Phone is looking for the right IP addresses (CPU and IP-PAD). All of this is in the setup portion of the IP System Manual.
Posted By: smoom Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/08/06 08:14 AM
once an IP phone has registered itself, you need to log into the Ip card and delete the ipaddress that it connected with and clear the MAC address.
Posted By: grumpyenglishbastard Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/08/06 10:38 AM
Is the phone not able to get a DHCP address or can it get one but still unable to connect to the DRS? A way of eliminating the DHCP server as mentioned is setting a static. I believe if it can't get an address it would be that error message displayed. In any case you will probably have to enter the DRS address manually as I doubt the Linksys DHCP server supports the neccesary custom options.

What is your VPN is it a hardware device or a software client?
Posted By: boxster Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/08/06 11:26 AM
Well when I hooked up the phone to my router first it said connecting to DHCP server and then got the message "DRS(1)first...connection timed out".

I am not sure if phone even got the IP address. I checked the DHCP log of the router I didn't see any ip allocation to this phone.

We are using a cisco 2400 series router on the other end.

thx
Posted By: grumpyenglishbastard Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/08/06 12:42 PM
"We are using a cisco 2400 series router on the other end."

But what is at the end of the VPN tunnel at your end?
Posted By: Extreme Re: NEC (IP Phone connection) - 08/09/06 06:44 AM
Seeing that your using a Linksys on your end, I'm assuming your using a VPN Client installed on your laptop...which only gives your laptop access to your work resources.

If you have a site-to-site VPN connection then you won't have any probs.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help