atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tempcall Aspire v. IPK II - 11/16/06 11:12 AM
Thanks to those that have answered my earlier questions, This is a bit more specific. I've been pitched an Aspire, which probably would work, but am not clear on whether the IPK II would be better (or worse). Any key differences?

Here's my needs: We're currently at 21 extensions and 11 lines. Probably putting in a dedicated T1/PRI for a new system. Over 5-10 years, we need to grow to about 50-60 local extensions. Need VoIP extension capability in a few years (up to 200 IP ext. in 6-7 years).

Have a small call center going from 4 to maybe 10 people. Need solid ACD that can handle multiple ACD groups and even multiple trees (for different businesses). Need good reporting tools. Need to be able to record calls for training. Need to allow multiple people to manage the system (thus need a user friendly interface to manage most functionality, so we don't spend all our $ on service calls to make design changes to the ACD or VM system.). Need multiple MOH channels. Need to be able to move extensions easily. And don't want to pay an arm and a leg in licensing fees.

Thanks!
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/16/06 11:52 AM
NEC Aspire new release 6 is out and it REALLY makes the system everything you would want.
Posted By: Mike Bardsley Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/17/06 04:20 AM
Since I am a NEC tech, not a Nitsuko(Aspire), would go with IPK-II, love the IP phones, Megaco stations using a PVA card, 16 ports per card, card can be used for SIP, or Networking. Multiple MOH using extension ports, and a seperate device. Really slick, with solid ACD. Its an Aspire programming base, but takes the tried and true NEC I-series phones, and the IPK/Elite hardware, and runs with it. over 200 extensions, and 200+ vertual extensions.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/17/06 04:39 AM
The Aspire is an NEC product BTW.
Posted By: Mike Bardsley Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/17/06 05:24 PM
Sold under a completly Different Dealer line-up. We sell IKP, 2000, 2400.
Posted By: IPKII Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/18/06 05:16 AM
The Aspire is Nitsuko design with NEC's logo stamped on it. The IPK II is also Nitsuko designed software to work with traditional NEC hardware.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Mike! welcome
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/18/06 07:14 AM
"Sold under a completly Different Dealer line-up. We sell IKP, 2000, 2400."

That is correct. Just like the DS series is ANOTHER dealer lineup. Some dealers carry BOTH Aspire and IPK. The NEC Aspire series really only goes up to about 512 ports. The bigger NEC systems get bigger. As far as I know, Nitsuko/TIE never built a Nitsuko Aspire. To say it's not NEC is simply not true. Parts are systems are made by NEC, shipped by NEC etc. If you don't believe me here it is from NEC.

https://www.necunifiedsolutions.com/main/
Posted By: IPKII Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/21/06 04:16 PM
NEC bought Nitsuko several years ago, but, kept the equipment lines separate until spring of this year with the roll-out of the IPK II.

The Aspire is not "traditional" NEC, nor are the "other Nitsuko-based" systems like the DS line.
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/21/06 04:43 PM
Traditional NEC went out back when the 8/24 came out. NEC moved the key system and phone manufacturing to Malaysia.

When labor costs began to rise along with import/export costs, NEC stsrted looking at Nitsuko who OEM'd the E-pro series.

When NEC formed NEC Infrontia with the buyout of Nitsuko they had NEC Infrontia build the Elite, IPK, IPK II, Aspire, DS 1000, 2000 and now the DSX. NEC Infrontia's factory is in Thailand.

If you don't believe me, go look at the nameplate on the Elites, IPK & IPK II. " Manufactured by NEC Infrontia"

NEC Japan still does manufacture some of the 2400 and 2000 PBX's
Posted By: dans Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/27/06 05:23 PM
Nitsuko beginning with the I series was strong on software but phone quality was low. After NEC bought out Nitsuko the quality has gone up, the DSX model shows that.
My vote goes for the IPK II, I like the phones better.
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/27/06 08:19 PM
Let me correct the record.

The DS and DSX were designed by the "Nitsuko" team in Shelton. The merge with NEC had nothing to do with the quality of these products. (The DS-Series has the lowest return rate of ALL NEC key systems.)

FYI, the IPK-II software is the same as Aspire, which is based on the i-Series. The Aspire hardware is based on DS-Series. You do the math.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/28/06 03:51 AM
Was the DS series available before or after the Aspire came out?
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/28/06 11:56 AM
The DS-Series came out before the Aspire. Here are the release dates:

DS2000 Sept 1999
DS1000 Nov 2000
Aspire-M June 2003
Aspire-S Feb 2004
Posted By: dans Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/28/06 03:15 PM
DSX Deus,

The NEC hardware on all their switches and the dterm phones were higher quality by far than the Nitsuko brand. (I have worked on both sides) You put the DS phone next to the dterm the DS phone looks and feels cheep, the legs would break off, clip under the handset would come off, little things like that set the 2 apart.
DSX phones, thats a different story, if Nitsuko was not bought out by NEC those DSX phones would be at the same quality as the DS ones, cheep!
NEC unified has put their standards on the Nitsuko brand
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/28/06 06:44 PM
dans,

I respectively disagree with your assessment of who is responsible for the quality at Nitsuko and NEC. Your comments are typical of the old NEC dealers who have always looked at Nitsuko as a low-cost, low-quality manufacturer. (I guess this bias may be a result of sales competition throughout the years.) The truth of the matter is that both companies produced some very good products and some below average products over the years. However, the merger of NEC and Nitsuko (NEC Infrontia) has produced an outstanding organization, that by combining the strengths of both companies, has achieved the highest key system market share in the US.

Regarding the phone comments, I'm the guy who created the DS/DSX/IntraMail system architecture and designed the DSX phones (thanks for the kind words), so I know a little about what the real story is. Back when we were designing the DS system, we needed a phone quickly, so we used the i-Series phone that was in development for the Japan and European markets (those markets used a slimmer, K2-style handset). This phone was very successful for Nitsuko. However, it might have been a bit too dainty for the US market (fat hands need bigger buttons).

With the huge success of the DS behind us, we (i.e. the "Nitsuko" guys) were able to design the best phone possible, exclusively for the new DSX system and the US market. We received many favorable comments about the design (the dealers and end-users love it) and think it may be one of the best NEC phones yet. With all due respect to my fellow colleagues who were with NEC before the merger, the DSX phone and system design had nothing to do with them.

I suggest you take a look at the DSX system and IntraMail. Your customers will thank you. (More surprises to come.)

p.s. Feel free to PM if you need more info.
Posted By: dans Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 11/28/06 08:12 PM
DSX Deus
If you go back in the NEC forum you can read my comments on the DSX system. I said you at NEC Infrontia hit a home run.
As for the company I work for we have sold the DS systems for over 5 years. What I have seen out in the field the Nitsuko I series phones were junk compared to the dterms. The DS phones were not much better. The DSX phone are the best you guys have put on the market!

Now I'm going to say it again, I have serviced many systems and can say with ease you hit a home run with the DSX

Dan S
Posted By: BillyBob Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 12/01/06 03:40 AM
DSX Deus,

You said,
FYI, the IPK-II software is the same as Aspire, which is based on the i-Series. The Aspire hardware is based on DS-Series.
Please clarify for me the part about the Aspire hardware is based on the DS-Series. Do they share the same PCB's, chassis, backplane, or what? I've never had my hands on an Aspire so I am curious as to what you meant.

Thx,
Bill
Posted By: DSX Deus Re: Aspire v. IPK II - 12/01/06 04:26 AM
Bill,

Let me clarify. The Aspire hardware architecture (backplane protocols, DSP, etc.) was based on the work done on the DS-Series. The boards themselves are a different. The Aspire has much more capability since it's a converged (TDM/IP) system.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help