atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Al Dukes DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 08:53 AM
I am having my first problem with a DSX 80 installed 9 months ago. It has, until now, worked perfectly. I just added two more digital stations 311 & 312, placed all six line appearances and enabled ringing on all 6 lines (2132) to Always. No matter what I do, I can't get these two new phones to ring. I left the 3112 at default and was able to program the rest of the stations to ring per need in each department. I thought it might be a port problem but after swapping ports and phones, the problem persists. What am I missing. I know the DS and the DSX series quite well. I sell the NEC line exclusively and am surprised by this trouble. Any suggestions? :shrug:
Posted By: skip555 Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 09:00 AM
what does tech service have to say ?
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 09:07 AM
They say it may be a defective station card. I have ordered some spares and when they come in I will try to replace the card. This just happened yesterday so I am unsure how to procede. Everything else is working great including the voicemail.
Posted By: skip555 Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 09:54 AM
have you tried disabling ring , reseting the system then enabling ring ?

also try taking ring away from a couple of stations , maybe there is a limit to the number of stations that can ring at one time
Posted By: jayman Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 04:00 PM
Have you tried frogging cards to see if the problem follows card or slot? Thanks Jason
Posted By: 94astro Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 04:16 PM
Are the lines set to key ring or are they ringing a ring group? If they are ringing a ring group make sure 311 & 312 are in that group.

If you've checked all this I'd definately try resetting the system, maybe even upgrading to the latest software...
Posted By: walterv Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jayman:
Have you tried frogging cards to see if the problem follows card or slot? Thanks Jason
"frogging the cards" , I know what you mean (swap cards, take a working card in the system and swap it with the questionable card. By the way good advice smile )

But let's get back to this word "frogging", 30 years in the businees and I have never heard that word, is that a redneck word smile

Walter
Posted By: KLD Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/08/07 08:00 PM
Walter, "Frogging" goes back to "leap-frogging" cable pairs to make a line work. (White-Blue pair bad, cut to Violet-Slate from pole 1 to pole 2, cut back to White-Blue)

Now then, topic , Al, the suggestions here are all good. Do you have a test jack to test the output of the card at the backboard? Does it work there? Make a test jumper to plug into the station card with only this port wired out to the jack. Does it work? By then a spare card should be available, try it. Until you know if the problem is software or hardware you are not going to be able to follow this through. By testing the hardware you are left with software if the sets do not ring. That is where the ring group, et al, comes in. Go to a correctly ringing set, do a "Copy" and see if it is ringing now.

Good luck.
Posted By: KENB Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/09/07 03:23 AM
So no one has confidence in the Tech support answer ??? :shrug:
Posted By: JordonJ Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/09/07 05:13 AM
Speaking for myself, I had a persisten problem with a loud hum on the line (system grounded, updated, tested at office/no hum there).

In the end Tech support sent a modified line card (This was a known problem). Problem went away.

We also installed a 40 where line 1 would drop the call after a few seconds (no variations in line voltage). We called and they sent us a replacement system. Again, problem went away.

I'd be inclined to follow tech support...
Posted By: DaveS Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/09/07 05:57 AM
If the phones work normally in all other respects, then it is not the station card.

The CPU sends commands directly to the phones to make them ring, and the station card is simply relaying the commands!
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/09/07 01:23 PM
Great suggestions, guys. I set all the ports from the DSX-80 on a patch panel and tested the ringing problem right at the board. Problem persisted. I put two of the lines in a ring group. The rest are default to key ring. I will print and follow up with the suggestions listed here. I really appreciate your help. As familiar as I am with the programming and the systems themselves, I am a bit surprised by this problem. Will let everyone know the resolution. :bang: Al
Posted By: jayman Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/09/07 05:11 PM
Yes Walter,I am from Chattanooga TN,so I may be a little bit on the red side(lol)frogging rocks!! see ya Jason!
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/16/07 08:58 AM
Originally posted by KLD:
Walter, "Frogging" goes back to "leap-frogging" cable pairs to make a line work. (White-Blue pair bad, cut to Violet-Slate from pole 1 to pole 2, cut back to White-Blue)

Now then, topic , Al, the suggestions here are all good. Do you have a test jack to test the output of the card at the backboard? Does it work there? Make a test jumper to plug into the station card with only this port wired out to the jack. Does it work? By then a spare card should be available, try it. Until you know if the problem is software or hardware you are not going to be able to follow this through. By testing the hardware you are left with software if the sets do not ring. That is where the ring group, et al, comes in. Go to a correctly ringing set, do a "Copy" and see if it is ringing now.

Good luck.
Geez, what a dope I am. I erred in my programming. The problem is that I used 3112 to terminate day and night ring on 4 of the 6 lines coming into the system to specific extensions (DILs). the other two lines terminated to a ring group with three extensions assigned to the group (600) and each assigned a message center key. I resolved it my 2121-01 06 CCK-R. Problem solved. I was not thorough in my troubleshooting. I will be more careful in the future.

Thanks for all of your help.

Al Dukes :db:
Posted By: STS E Re: DSX ringing problem - 08/16/07 09:17 AM
KLD

We used the term Shotgun.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help