atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: zachdha Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/25/07 02:05 PM
I have an Elite IPK which I recently had our techs install an ESIB(8) and an SLIB(4) into. We already had an ESIB(8) with an ESIE(8) installed which were full, hence the addition of the new ESIB(8).

The tech successfully installed the SLIB. He installed the ESIB, but could get no extensions to work on it. The known good DTerm80's say "initialize" and then go blank. His conclusion was the card was defective. The LED lights up on the card just as the others in the system, but that appears to be the only indicator.

I can only find one other post on here of that happening, and it was mysteriously solved once the user reinitialized the entire system (hard reset w/o battery attached).

My next step is to have the tech order a new ESIB to try. (The tech did not supply the ESIB he installed.)

I have also thought about just swapping the two ESIBs.. but haven't yet. Does anyone have any ideas?
Posted By: dans Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/25/07 02:51 PM
I would rotate the ESIBs first. If the same problem than have the tech check station number to port assignment.
Posted By: doghart Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/25/07 04:29 PM
Also check your software level, go to any phone and press [feature] then 3.

Version 1.02 had a known issues like that and was a free upgrade to 1.04.

D
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 05:02 AM
My software is 1.3.

The tech installed the cards w/o powering down the system. Is it safe to rotate the ESIB's with out powering down? If not, is there any procedure I should perform to power down w/o losing my configuration info?

As for checking the port assignments .. How can I check that w/o altering any settings? I have the programming manual -- and from looking at it, it seems that mem block 4-10 is where I should look.

Apparently, my first ESIB(8) runs from 01-08, the ESIE(8) from 09-16, and the ESIE from 17-20. I would assume then my new ESIB(8) should start with 21 through 28, and new ESIE(4) from 29 through 32?

I'm questioning what the tech did b/c I found a note he scribbled on.. which said "ESI - 010" "SLI=17" "CARD 5 = 25" "SLI=33 200"

None of which really seem to fall within the ports I would assume they would be. but then, I'm just making assumptions .. I don't have a ton of experience with this system.
Posted By: dans Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 06:00 AM
Yes you can install and remove cards with system powered up. 4-10 is the correct memory block to confirm or change station to port numbering. Write down your port numbers starting with 01, as you go threw 4-10 document the station numbers.

7-1 will tell you the port assignment to each card
Posted By: zsmilessss Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 06:31 AM
I don't know if your problem is the same as one that we had, but there is a jumper on the ESIB to select either U20 or U10. I believe the software version dictates which position the jumper should be in.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 08:05 AM
My ESIB has no jumpers. Just two LEDs and a button. (although the pn is ESIB(8)-U10)

I have the port->station assignments identified from 4-10.

I'm a bit confused with 7-1 though.
LK7+LK1,[RECALL]+LK1
I get:
1->01:ESI 8
on the display, and I'm not sure where to go next with that to get the info I need.

FYI: ports 01-08 are my 1st ESIB(8), 09-16 are ESIE(8), 17-20 are 1st SLIE(4), 21-24 appear to be for voicemail, 25-32 appear to be the new ESIB(8), and 33-36 appear to be the new SLIB(4).

I guess I need to verify 25-32 are indeed assigned to the 2nd ESIB, and that the ESIB is indeed assigned to the cabinet slot 5.. ?

And thanks for the help.. I appreciate it.
Posted By: dans Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 08:07 AM
zsmilesss,

You are absolutely right, the newer ESIB cards have to be set to U10 when installed in a IPK.
Posted By: zsmilessss Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 08:29 AM
Change the Card to an ESIB8 by going to LK7 LK1 press recall btn until you get to page 5 then press LK1 and it should change it to an ESIB8.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 08:50 AM
Thanks, zsmilessss. I was going after the wrong card. But again, I'm not sure what to do after getting to the point where the display shows:

5 09:
1->01:ESIB 8

The manual doesn't really tell me how to display the slot #. what am I missing?
Posted By: zsmilessss Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 09:17 AM
5 09:
1->01:ESIB 8

01 is the slot number. If you press 2 at this point then it will tell you what is in slot 2 and so on and so forth.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 09:38 AM
I suppose this falls under "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

The tech configured the ESIB as an ESI. They are apparently not compatible.

After swapping my ESIBs and noting that they both function. I changed the card assignment to ESIB. Now my new extension functions properly.

He didn't assign an extension number to the new extension, and I'm sure didn't configure voice mail for it either. I guess I'll thumb through the manual and try to figure out those processes. (If anyone has any pointers on which mem blocks to look at, I'll be grateful for the help.)

I appreciate those who responded. I learned a lot -- so maybe next time I won't have to spend $XXXX to have someone install something incorrectly for me!
Posted By: doghart Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/26/07 04:15 PM
Originally posted by zachdha:

He didn't assign an extension number to the new extension, and I'm sure didn't configure voice mail for it either. I guess I'll thumb through the manual and try to figure out those processes.

so maybe next time I won't have to spend $XXXX to have someone install something incorrectly for me!
I'd call and ask for my money back. First of all, $XXXX for an hour service call to add a card and 8 stations is ridiculous. If it took longer than an hour, that is also ridiculous.

I would argue the fact that the tech was obviously not certified or familiar with the product. This is basic stuff, covered on the very first day of the certification class.

Your tech was obviously a noobie, which is fine, but should of had some resources to help him with his task at your business.

D
I see it as this guy is a tech "wanna be". Yes I agree, call the tech back and don't get charged for a return trip. $XXXX is just plain stupid. The tech may not have been certified, but neither is this person trying it on his own!!

My .02

Scott.
Posted By: Keighlar Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/27/07 10:13 AM
I've edited the above posts to remove pricing only. As this is a public forum and service rates vary greatly across the country, and even to our international associates, we like to keep service and equipment prices confined to PM's and private forums.

Thank you all for understanding.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/27/07 04:19 PM
Originally posted by scotttoolguy:
I see it as this guy is a tech "wanna be". Yes I agree, call the tech back and don't get charged for a return trip. $XXXX is just plain stupid. The tech may not have been certified, but neither is this person trying it on his own!!

My .02

Scott.
You're kidding, right?

The difference is this person, "trying it on his own" is not charging a third party for his expert services..
My point being that if you already paid for a service call, instead of " trying it yourself", why not call back the people that started it and MAKE them finish it on their dime. Instead of just letting them get away with screwing your switch up. How long have you been working on NEC systems, or any other for that matter before you came here asking for FREE help? How long have you been in the telecom biz? Just to satisfy my own curiousity. And yes, I was joking, however I am concerned that you are willing to pay someone to do work that didn't do it right, then decided to fix it onn your own.

Scott.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/27/07 06:52 PM
There comes a point where my time is better spent fixing the problem myself than dealing with someone else who is much less motivated to fix it.

I have enough experience with my NEC and a previous Intertel system to get by, and to do so without fuxing anything up. It's unfortunate when the techs you rely on have less technical ability than yourself. Note I said technical ability, and not training. My background is in IT, and not telcom. But a computer is a computer. The idea of programming a phone system is quite trivial to me, even though the interface to said programming may be unfamiliar.

Judging by your "member rating", I would have to assume you're a fairly helpful guy around here. And I'm sure that's quite appreciated. That's the beauty of forums such as this.. that one can come here for "free" help when necessary.

That said, your entry into this conversation was unnecessary, and your comments inflammatory. Your elitist attitude does nothing to benefit this forum. Fortunately, there are others more willing to help than to make snide remarks about some non-telco person wanting "free" help.
The only reason I even started a comment was your attitude that you were better than the one who started the work. " want it done right, do it yourself" I believe was your statement. If you are IT, don't expect any sympathy around here, or just don't tell everyone I will suggest.The reason also for why I asked background was for the prime example of some IT professionals with the " it's just a computer that controls a phone" attitude. Just like I will never say "it's just dialtone" to you.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/27/07 08:12 PM
Look, this is serving no purpose. I'm assuming a mod will be by to clean up this thread anyway...

We've all been the victim of incompetents posting as professionals at some point or another. In my experience, true professionals who care about how a job turns out are far and few between. I'm assuming you're a true professional, yet you choose to align yourself with or identify with a tech who was too lazy to solve an issue he was working on? That thought would never cross my mind if I ran across some random thread with a telcom guy bashing an incompetent IT guy. It wouldn't even occur to me to compare myself with the incompetent IT guy. And if you took the time to read the initial messages in this thread, you'll observe that I'm quite thankful for the help I received here.
I test ALL of my work before leaving a job site, like most of the people here. I hope with all my heart that you do not hire the same company to do work for you, because it seems that they don't check their work, or care enough to see that their reputation banks on how they complete work. I am NOT aligning myself with substandard work, however you seem to believe I am, As stated before, I would have had the company, maybe not the same individual, come and complete what they started. Maybe you should send them a bill since you had to do their work for them. And so to say, PART of it is a computer, not all of it. Just like a network isn't ALL just a computer either.
Posted By: zachdha Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/27/07 08:25 PM
For what it's worth.. I hope I can find another company to take care of the system in the future.

This company installed the system a few years ago.. but was recently bought out by another company. And as usual, things change when that happens.. and in this case, employees have been replaced or have quit. So.. whatever.
Posted By: Keighlar Re: Dterm80 says initialize then blank.. - 10/29/07 06:16 AM
Originally posted by zachdha:
Look, this is serving no purpose. I'm assuming a mod will be by to clean up this thread anyway...
You're absolutely right that this is serving no purpose. I think any reasonable person can see that you both have valid points and that some hot buttons have been pushed. Let's keep this discussion on topic and civil.

Thank you.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help