atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: answersman DS cable connection - 11/27/09 10:38 PM
Couple of basic questions about our aging, but reliable DS-2000 system. Finally installing 3.22.12 software. I believe it now has 3.14.xx. First of all, do you feel this is a wise move, or might I be inviting potential problems by disturbing our current status-quo? Secondly, I need some advice about making a connection between this older system and a new laptop. Access into the CPU is through a standard (NEC) 8-lead cable w/RJ45. The original specs called for this to terminate at the PC via a serial jack. Problem is, my new PC has USB, Ethernet & HDMI connections, but none of the older style. The Ethernet connection would appear to directly accept the RJ45 cable and I believe the wiring config is the same. Question is, can I "talk" to the DS system this way, or will I risk frying something? I'm certain you pros have already remedied this problem, so I'm asking for your help. Thanks in advance! Dan
Posted By: skip555 Re: DS cable connection - 11/28/09 06:24 AM
pick up a USB /Serial adapter

the pin out for the serial adapter and the cable is in the DS hardware manual

as to upgrading the software I wouldnt do it just to do it if there are features you need in the newer release than go for it otherwise I wouldnt
Posted By: Toolie Re: DS cable connection - 11/28/09 08:19 PM
I concur with Skip. Lots of older gear uses a DB-9 serial port interface, but the new PCs just don't have them. I use an inexpensive USB to DB-9 serial adapter, and it serves me very well.

Trying to make this go to an Ethernet port just flat out will not work.
Posted By: answersman Re: DS cable connection - 12/02/09 08:46 PM
Skip/Toolie,
Thanks for your help. USB to Serial connector certainly makes sense. However, if I use this, I still need to connect from the Serial to the RJ45 cable extending from the box. I gather that is the purpose of Skip's reference to the wiring diagram. As an alternative, can I go directly from the USB to the RJ45 cable, or must I go through a Serial connection? Using one connector rather than two seems cleaner, but you're the pros. Please clarify. Thanks again, Dan
Posted By: skip555 Re: DS cable connection - 12/02/09 09:02 PM
Dan

buy a usb/serial connector there cheap

get a serial to 8 conductor adapter and a 8 conductor cable to go the KSU you can make your own or buy them from nec (again cheap to buy ready made)
Posted By: answersman Re: DS cable connection - 12/02/09 09:10 PM
Skip,

Quick response, you're really on top of your game tonight!

I added the cable at time of install. Looks like I simply need to get two connectors and I'll be in business.

Thanks again, you're the best!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help