atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: crisco3 Going to start the online training! - 09/29/11 05:28 AM
I am getting ready to start the online training for the 8100, 8500 and one of the voicemails. Does anybody have any tips? I am currently Asprire certified.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Going to start the online training! - 09/29/11 07:07 AM
It will take you 15 minutes to figure the SV8100 out. The biggest difference is STUPID cap keys and the new card names.
Posted By: paulw Re: Going to start the online training! - 09/29/11 12:47 PM
When the 8100 was being evaluated back in 2008 NECJ suggested that CAP keys be dropped but there was an outcry from the KTS boys at NECAM and NECAU that you can't remove CAP keys from a key system. So you can blame them for CAP keys being retained..
Posted By: doghart Re: Going to start the online training! - 09/30/11 06:06 PM
I took a lot of screen shots of the Power Point presentations when doing the online training. It made the online portion take a bit longer, but I could go back and reference them when taking the tests. I believe the new tests are timed and you cannot really go back through the power ppoints and videos when doing the test.

I've done the UCB, Inmail, Netlink, UM8000, Com Analyst and a few others online. The presentations are well done and give a good overview of what to expect when dealing with an install.

D
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Going to start the online training! - 09/30/11 10:39 PM
Between you me and the wall I think the UX5000 is a better system.
Posted By: madwok Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/01/11 05:43 AM
Coming from IPO,BCM,Cisco world, it took me a while to remember all the SV8100 cards and which one can be combined together . Lots of question on them as I remembered when I took the test last July.

Yes, the test is timed but you should do fine as it is really not that hard. I practiced a lot on my SV8100 lab as I just like to break and fix to reinforce what I learned via the online training

The voice mail UM8000 is way too easy to pass , IMHO .
Posted By: Deltron Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/02/11 08:34 AM
We just signed up ourselves, Vertical went ways we didn't want to go.

Demo kit on it's way and we'll start the online training shortly.

By the way, what's CAP keys and the problem with them?

We've installed a number of DSX systems and they've been quite good but very limited on programming.
Posted By: fonemanlee Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/02/11 10:31 AM
CAP keys= call appearance, if you don't have a CAP key and answer a ringing line at your phone, there will be no place for the call to reside. I have always asked how many calls the phone is expected to have at one time,,,2, 3, 4, etc. Then program that many CAP keys on the phone. Also, each phone will need a dirrerent CAP number. If the phones have the same number, they will appear like CO line buttons. It will make more since after the class...
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/02/11 03:40 PM
Dont get me started on CAP keys.........

Loop keys do it better!!!!
Posted By: Deltron Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/02/11 07:16 PM
I thought virtually everything of any size had loop keys.
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/02/11 07:30 PM
Cap keys are just like loop keys, but they are numbered & are not normally duplicated on phones. The sv8100 has a multiple assignment feature that makes them easier.
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 09:41 AM
CAP keys will not let you direct select the key and make an outgoing call via ars like the loop key will.

You can set the loop key as:
1-Outgoing Only
2- Inbound Only
3- Bothways

CAP keys were a direct result of the old Electr-pro series of having more CO lines available then ther was buttons available on the sets.
Also starting with the old 8/24 and on up they did not have a dedicated intercom/call key.

DJ
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 12:47 PM
If I remeber correctly, the UX5000 also has the option of CAP and CAR keys.....
WTH didn't NEC incorporate the built in CALL 1 and CALL 2 keys and let the IPK guys use the CAP key if they wanted to ?
Posted By: Rickman Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 02:21 PM
I never had any problems with cap key's they work fine. I don't see the advantage of "Loop Keys" when they do the exact same thing.If you want to have Direct select, why not just make it a Square key System? You pick up Your Hand Set Press a Line Key or Pick up the hand set and Press 9, I've been using cap keys since the EPII, I think they serve their perpose.
Just my 2 cents
Posted By: fonemanlee Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 02:57 PM
I agree with Rickman, the CAR and CAP keys work great,,,when you understand their operation. I have had several techs from the Toshiba or Nortel side of things that just can't get it.
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 03:13 PM
This will be an ongoing deal forever about CAP CAR and Loop keys.

I understand completely about both having done NEC equipment since 1978 and they do have both there places, but if you upgrade or replace a "Square" Key system with lets say 10 or more lines and and go to a PRI and the customers are adamant about not having to dial "9" for an outside line then CAP keys are out.

DJ
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/03/11 08:16 PM
CAP keys make zero sense in the PBX world... The UX has 2 loop appearances already on the phone (built in..require NO keys) AND you don't need an intercom keys. Sorry, but the CAP keys are just weird, and their limitations are silly. I work on have a dozen large systems and have never seen something as silly as CAP keys.
Posted By: paulw Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/04/11 12:57 PM
Agree with Coral Tech completely..
Posted By: dans Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/04/11 03:01 PM
You can have CAP keys and PRI and not have to dial 9
Posted By: paulw Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/04/11 05:33 PM
Originally posted by dans:
You can have CAP keys and PRI and not have to dial 9
Are you meaning have a Trunk Group key as well as a couple of CAP keys??
Posted By: RyanTheTech Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/05/11 01:18 PM
Originally posted by paulw:
Originally posted by dans:
[b] You can have CAP keys and PRI and not have to dial 9
Are you meaning have a Trunk Group key as well as a couple of CAP keys?? [/b]
look up hotline
Posted By: paulw Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/06/11 12:42 PM
Hot line is the last method I'd use as you have to use a convoluted method of calling internally and not practical at all if you have analog fones..
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/07/11 08:59 AM
From CAP keys

Originally posted by Rickman:
I would start by checking to see if you have duplicate cap keys on all the phones.
I can't say that I don't get loop keys locking up, but it is usually the result of a telco issue, not because I repeated a number on a button on 2 phones out of 100.

Yes Rickman that was a snide remark, but meant with the utmost repect :toast:

So here is a Question for all the IPK/8100 guys and gals....
Would it be better if you didn't HAVE to deal with the CAP and CAR keys? I am not saying they are bad...just that they are unecessary since Nitsuko incorporated the technology to not need them at all. (CALL1 and CALL 2 keys built into the phone and multiple directory - AKA call coverage keys)
Posted By: Rickman Re: Going to start the online training! - 10/07/11 09:38 AM
I can understand what you mean Bill, I too sometimes have my frustrations when using Cap and Car key's. But unfortunately, they are needed for The Key Systems from the Nec Neax Line. The Nec Guy's have been using this stuff since the EPII-SV8100. IMHO, (For Me) its easyer to Deal with the Cap & Car's if I Like Them. As far as The Nitsuko Line I don't know any thing about them other than they bought Tie. And as far as I know, they are nothing Like Neax.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help