atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: CNetworx Something New - 12/09/11 02:45 PM
https://www.necsl1100.com/
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/09/11 02:50 PM
Yep, going to see how it prices out.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/09/11 03:05 PM
Looks like a replacement for the XN120 or Topaz as it was called down here. Not sure if I want to see another smallish system that can't be upgraded to a 8100/ 8300 and retain the digital sets..
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 12/09/11 03:06 PM
It should price out like the DSX. I know my distr just got their 1100 stock in yesterday.
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 12/09/11 03:17 PM
5 Year Warranty There is a NEC SL1100 group on Linkedin.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/10/11 07:17 AM
I have the pricing. It's slightly higher than the DSX.

We set ours up yesterday. It's pretty much an SV8100 lite. They disabled the ability for the third expansion cabinet in the US market for some reason. Anybody know why one couldn't load the Euro software to gain this ability? Are Euro systems different than ours?

It's set up like the DSX 40 for cards versus using card slots like the 80/160 or SV. This might make servicing slightly more difficult if you have a card failure.

It seems to fit between the DSX and SV for those that need additional software features but I think DSX dealers won't be too excited to learn the new programming. For areas where the trunkers are killing you with the DSX this system would be a good replacement for sales. We picked up the SV and are pretty happy with it too.

Hopefully NEC will enable the third expansion cabinet option. Kind of silly not to.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/10/11 08:56 AM
Is this available over the counter? If so, it'll be the same story as the DSX.
Posted By: junkbox Re: Something New - 12/10/11 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Coral Tech:
it would appear so...

https://www.adamtelco.com/nec-sl110...ml?___store=default&___store=default

Question is how similar is the programming to the SV8x . I can think of some locations of ours where we could use em where an 8100 is overkill as an alternative to DSX
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/10/11 01:20 PM
Possibly, but how close does it price out to a UX or an SV would be the question.
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Something New - 12/10/11 03:55 PM
What are the main differences between DSX and the SL1100? I haven't had much time to study this SL1100 yet, but am trying to determine if it would fill any voids in our current offerings. At first glance, the phones look similar...but the programming looks more complicated.
Posted By: STS E Re: Something New - 12/10/11 05:23 PM
It will provide advance applications such as Networking, Hotel/Motel, ACD, and desk Top suite.
It will not replace the DSX.

The programming is in much more depth and detail.
Still over the counter product.

The off shore SL1000 has been in distribution the
past year.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/10/11 05:41 PM
I don't think it will. Too many so called phone guys will freak over the programming. Trunkers won't want to make the effort to understand it and on the surface it doesn't look much different than the DSX to the customer. The old Vodavi dealers are still wrestling with the SBX which has been out for a few years.

Look on the bright side, dealers used to the SV series are going to pick up work from trunkers screwing things up and customers giving them a call to fix it.
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 12/11/11 06:32 AM
I just became an NEC dealer after servicing a few DSX systems over the years. I spoke to my dealer rep and informed him that I was concerned about picking up a product that was released in 2007 (voice mail in 2006). He then let me know the DSX was midlife that it would not be end of life for another 5 years or so. The problem is that the DSX Thailand plant is under water and production has been halted.

He told me to look at the SL1100 but it would be a little more difficult to set up. The SL1100 web site has a support video on anything you would wish to provide the customer. You have a new product and that should help us all close more deals the next few years.
Posted By: junkbox Re: Something New - 12/11/11 07:56 AM
Originally posted by STS E:
... Networking, Hotel/Motel, ACD, and desk Top suite...
Networking as in CCIS or networking as in Web Pro? these little switches are looking better and better. ACD on a $XXXX switch? The inline mail I would assume is a UM spin off if Hotel/Motel is in the mix and the Desktop Suite is already built.
As Deltron said, "an sv8100 lite"

edited for pricing
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/11/11 08:14 AM
I didn't see ACD on the system feature list.
Posted By: STS E Re: Something New - 12/11/11 08:36 AM
ACD, Networking,and My Calls (future).

The SL1100 was brought out a little early here in the US,due to the situation in Thailand i assume.
Yes,a sv8100(lite).
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/11/11 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Deltron:
I have the pricing. It's slightly higher than the DSX.

We set ours up yesterday. It's pretty much an SV8100 lite. They disabled the ability for the third expansion cabinet in the US market for some reason. Anybody know why one couldn't load the Euro software to gain this ability? Are Euro systems different than ours?
If it's anything like the 8100 then no. The CPU is hardware locked so that you can't install software from another country..
Posted By: Tip&Ring Re: Something New - 12/11/11 03:53 PM
Same software set that has been added to and tweaked on since the I series.

No cross platform availability (SL1100 sets dont work on any other systems and vice versa) and no real networking to other NEC platforms(SV series, UX series or Aspire)
A midlle of the road system to fill the gaps.

DJ
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/12/11 12:00 PM
I think that the lack of networking between other SV systems will be the killer in this part of the world. I mentioned this systems at a sales meeting here yesterday and they were not keen on another different system with more logistics and stock to keep..
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/12/11 01:45 PM
They might not have had a choice. Apparently the floods in Thailand have wiped out DSX production. Already there's shortages of equipment, especially DSX40 cards. I just bought out the entire inventory from two suppliers of CO and digital station boards for the DSX40. I think 34btn phone stocks are a bit low too.

We're ramping up as fast as possible on the SL in case we can't supply the DSX on outstanding bids. Any new bids will probably be the SV. I've been told it may well be the end of February before the supply chain is filled.

Talk to computer guys about the hard drive shortages. One large white box distributor here in Kansas City of computer equipment told me this morning that unless something quickly changes they will essentially be out of business within 90 days.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/12/11 04:07 PM
Maybe NEC will use the Thai floods as an excuse to run down the DSX. They are reopening some of their old manufacturing plants in Japan for the SV range and getting temporary work visas for Thai workers to go to Japan and keep product being manufactured. They need the Thai workers as all the Japanese skill sets went when it was move to Thailand..
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/12/11 04:51 PM
Very unlikely. The DSX is an inexpensive easy to program system that sells very well. I think a number of DSX sellers would consider something else other than NEC if it went away. The SV and SL isn't nearly as friendly programming.

We've put in a fair bit of DSX and been quite happy for a low end system. It's one of the best I've ever seen.

They'll have the plants back on line and I suspect, just like the computer manufacturers, they'll have a strong plan B now to prevent something like this in the future.
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Something New - 12/13/11 08:36 AM
yippee....https://www.necsl1100.com/Resources.html
Now there are tutorials on how to do most things on the Aspire/UX5000/SV8100.

Is nothing sacred to the dealers?
Posted By: junkbox Re: Something New - 12/13/11 09:05 AM

Talk to computer guys about the hard drive shortages. One large white box distributor here in Kansas City of computer equipment told me this morning that unless something quickly changes they will essentially be out of business within 90 days.
Applied Computer Technologies? (Independence, MO)

I can see how it's gonna hit big time white boxers and OEMs who buy in a 100K drives at a go. And eventually that'll trickle down to 'big box' suppliers like New Egg as the HD manufaturers start routing that limited inventory to the big OEMs. It'll essentially manifest as a price hike to the little guys and those ordering a grand or so at a time, all the way down to a higher increase to end-users buying a new drive. I don't believe all of the hype however as the scramble to snatch up all the remaining hard drives hasn't hit any of my big box vendors where I can pick up a 500GB seagate for ~$80 as we speak. Supposedly the shortage may last well into 2013...bah.

...The DSX is an inexpensive easy to program system that sells very well. I think a number of DSX sellers would consider something else other than NEC if it went away. The SV and SL isn't nearly as friendly programming.
I guess I'm a bit unclear as to how the programming is any more or less 'easy'. I've never had the 'pleasure' of working with a DSX, but have experience with the IPKII and the SV. So are you saying the programming for the SL is quite similar to the SV8x ?
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/13/11 12:43 PM
junkbox: Yes the programming looks the same as the SV8100/XN120/Topaz apart from the PCPro login..

looking at the hardware manual the basic design of the KSU looks very similar to the XN120/Topaz. One concern for me is the lack of a basic Rate ISDN card. I only see analog Co and PRi ISDN..

Would be nice home system :-)
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/13/11 02:47 PM
I've never even seen a BRI and I've been in the phone business since 1971.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/13/11 05:06 PM
I mean, did they REALLY need another system in this market range? NEC is only hurting itself.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/13/11 07:00 PM
I've never even seen a BRI and I've been in the phone business since 1971.
Really. What sort of trunking do you use up there?? Basic rate ISDN has been around since the late 1980s down here and still very popular and more reliable than some of the newer flavors or Primary rate ISDN...
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/13/11 09:55 PM
Either POTs lines, T1 or PRI. Why would one even bother with BRI when PRI circuits are so cheap? (At least here)
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/14/11 06:48 AM
BRI costs about the same as POTS here in this area. I used to use them on ISDN routers through the PBX for internet access for people that couldn't get anything else.
Posted By: junkbox Re: Something New - 12/14/11 07:11 AM
Originally posted by paulw:

Would be nice home system :-)
totally.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/14/11 11:49 AM
Either POTs lines, T1 or PRI. Why would one even bother with BRI when PRI circuits are so cheap? (At least here)
I think that that is the difference. Here PRi is way too expensive compared to BRi though PRi is way easier to deploy..

I did a quick comparison between the US and Euro versions of the SL1100.
The US and the Euro versions seem to have quite different hardware specs

1.US: no BRI but have PRi. Euro: BRI but no PRi . Both have analog and IP trunking.
2.US: 32 port IPLA card (16 basic with 16 port expansion license = 32). Euro: 16 port IPLA.
3.US: 64 IP terminal . Euro: 16 IP terminals
4.US: SIP trunks 32 . Euro: SIP trunks 16

The rest seems fairly similar..

Every time I read the letters SL in front of a system name I think of Nortel SL1 systems..
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/14/11 04:39 PM
They dumped the option for the third expansion cabinet. I hope they will re enable it for the US version.

PRI is dirt cheap in my area. They'll occasionally run contracts for under $299 a month on a three year contract for a full PRI.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Something New - 12/15/11 04:55 AM
Originally posted by paulw:
[b] Either POTs lines, T1 or PRI. Why would one even bother with BRI when PRI circuits are so cheap? (At least here)
I think that that is the difference. Here PRi is way too expensive compared to BRi though PRi is way easier to deploy..

I did a quick comparison between the US and Euro versions of the SL1100.
The US and the Euro versions seem to have quite different hardware specs

1.US: no BRI but have PRi. Euro: BRI but no PRi . Both have analog and IP trunking.
2.US: 32 port IPLA card (16 basic with 16 port expansion license = 32). Euro: 16 port IPLA.
3.US: 64 IP terminal . Euro: 16 IP terminals
4.US: SIP trunks 32 . Euro: SIP trunks 16

The rest seems fairly similar..

Every time I read the letters SL in front of a system name I think of Nortel SL1 systems.. [/b]
Thanks for doing the comparison! When I see the SL it makes me think of the Tadiran Coral SL. smile

Steve
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Something New - 12/16/11 10:12 AM
Kinda makes you wonder where manufactuers get the letters to use.

I remember Sprint's protege line actually made sense.
CTX (Compact Telephone Exchange)
MTX (Medium Telephone Exchange)
LTX (Large Telephone Exchange)

Actually I don;t knoiw if that is what the acronyms stood for but that is what I taught myself them to be smile
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Something New - 12/16/11 12:11 PM
Bill, In the Portland area of Oregon we get the letters from the English Alphabet, but I know in Eugene after a 'trip' in the woods I'm not exactly sure where you get your letters from. Also you forgot the XTX.

What about cars, not only for the Trim, but sometimes the model.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/17/11 09:36 AM
Well, ours isn't doing so well. It re-initializes on power up every time. I replaced the button battery on the CPU to no avail.

Not a good start.

On another note, everything on this system is apparently made in China.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/17/11 12:50 PM
Arrr........ don't let other techs mess with something you're working on.
Posted By: STS E Re: Something New - 12/17/11 03:34 PM
Bill, your private message box is full.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Something New - 12/17/11 08:33 PM
Most convoluted $#%$^^&^%$ I have ever seen.
Programming software. But as said before, may keep trunkers away.
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Something New - 12/18/11 08:33 AM
Job security.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/18/11 09:21 AM
Originally posted by STS E:
Bill, your private message box is full.
Not now. Heck, I didn't know mods had a limit. I'm a mod on another board that doesn't have a limit.

Fixed now.
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/18/11 09:23 AM
Originally posted by brokeda:
Most convoluted $#%$^^&^%$ I have ever seen.
Programming software. But as said before, may keep trunkers away.
Did you enjoy getting the voice mail to work? wink
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/18/11 11:53 AM
Well, ours isn't doing so well. It re-initializes on power up every time. I replaced the button battery on the CPU to no avail.

Not a good start.

On another note, everything on this system is apparently made in China.
Thought that there may have have been a Hot/ cold switch like the XM120 but looking thru the install manual a Cold start requires pressing of the load button but after that just normal power on..
Not a good first time experience..
Posted By: Deltron Re: Something New - 12/18/11 02:48 PM
I guess I wasn't too clear in my subsequent post. One of the other techs was playing with it when I was gone and kept reinitializing it after he was through playing with it.

I thought I was crazy.
Posted By: dans Re: Something New - 12/19/11 07:02 AM
If the SL1100 programming is similar to the SV8100 and they have a free online course what is going to keep the trunk slammers from moving in on the SV8100 or UX5000 customers? Nothing!!
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Something New - 12/19/11 08:15 AM
Precisely. The guy working out his trunk, no expenses, no insurance...just amazing.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Something New - 12/19/11 01:32 PM
I'd try that trunk thing, but I'd lose the ability to subcontract :-)

Still, it would save me about $500 a quarter. Hmm...800-SAFE-AUTO here I come LOL

Carl
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 12/29/11 11:42 AM
I started this topic so I better give my update. I just installed my first SL today (4 lines, 9 phones & Inmail). Actually this is the first traditional phones systems w/ vm I have installed in a long time. I figured if I had to pick up a hybrid it would be a new one.

Anyway I did get tech support to introduce me to WebPro and it is not like the DSX thats for sure. Next week I will order my backup system and continue training and continue training and continue training. My NEC rep claims it is critical to know the product and that there has been approx 100 systems sold so far.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 12/29/11 09:12 PM
Nice to see getting a backup system. It's something the dealers down here don't seem to want to do and use NEC as a spare parts depot..
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Something New - 12/30/11 04:06 PM
Thanks for the update. Please share your thoughts on it, good and bad, as you move forward. I am looking at this product but have not made a plunge yet.
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 01/02/12 01:25 PM
So I cut the system over Friday w/ no problems (2 hours). Went back today to train, enable CID and record the AA greeting. Everyone seems to like the phones, I did notice the speaker acting a little funny while I was on hold with ATT for about 30 min (regional Internet outage).

I think the system will be favorable to the end-user and I do not see any reason to have to tell anyone "no" when they ask for something. Now I see why they have a tutorial on everything to setup the system, well everything but how to record the AA greetings. LOL

Basic programming & desi of 9 phones, vm, install & training = 10 hours.
Posted By: CNetworx Re: Something New - 01/17/12 03:04 PM
A visit to my SL1100 customer today. They like the phones & functions very much. I am registered for the SL1100 "Meet & Greet" coming to Charlotte.
Posted By: Brandon S. Re: Something New - 01/18/12 12:44 PM
I mean, did they REALLY need another system in this market range? NEC is only hurting itself.
From an inventory, stock, and technical perspective - no.

From a price/feature perspective - maybe. Many of our SMB buyers are very price sensitive right now. By the time you load up an SV8100 with networking, IP, or ACD and include software asssurance, it starts to price out higher than much of the competition.
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 01/18/12 03:56 PM
What is the considered crossover size for the SL1100 Vs the SV8100?? Would hate to put in a 1100 and then find that the customer has soon grown beyond it's capacity and you have to upgrade to a 8100 and buy all new fones..
Posted By: RonP Re: Something New - 01/18/12 04:15 PM
84 phones is the max capacity. While it has many of the software features of the 8100, its clearly geared to smaller offices that can take advantage of networking, ACD and such.
Posted By: doghart Re: Something New - 02/17/12 10:22 PM
https://www.necsl1100.com/Resources.html

Step by step guides and the PC pro software for SL1100
Posted By: paulw Re: Something New - 02/19/12 04:50 PM
It's a good resource not only for SL100 but for SV8100..
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Something New - 02/20/12 11:30 AM
I disagree about it being a "good" resource.
What it does do is give free access to any trunker that wants to know how to program other systems, without needing to become a dealer.
Posted By: RonP Re: Something New - 02/20/12 05:12 PM
Most trunkers won't make the effort learn the system inside out like we do. They'll learn enough just to get by. Having said that, the SL1100 is not something that a trunker will have an easy time learning anyway. More involved than say the DSX or an Avaya Partner.
Posted By: doghart Re: Something New - 02/22/12 05:35 AM
There were 3 or 4 trunkers in th the SL1100 rollout I went to at Graybar a few weeks ago. They made comments that the system looked nice and had a lot of flexibility, but seemed complicated to setup.

I have installed 3 SL1100's so far, mostly because of backorder shortages on the SV8100 parts.

Its decent, but everything (PBX cabinet, Phones, cords) feels less polished and slightly lkower in quality than the true NEC SV stuff.

D
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help