atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ateletech NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 04:14 AM
I have a DSX-80 that is equipped as follows;
8 CO trunks
16 Digital Ports
8 Analog Ports
4 Port Intramail

System has been in service for approximately two years and works like a charm. I have (2) 22 Btn Display sets and (1) Analog set in an adjacent building (122' 25 pr UGC). I was called to the site today and when I arrived at the remote sets, both of the displays said INITIALIZE and were in OOS condition.

I have Edco lightning protection on the UGC and is bonded to cable sheath on one end with verified earth ground. The protectors were not blown and there was no physical trace damage inside the cabinet or cards. I performed a complete power down and reboot to see if the issue was cleared. When the system came back online, the two 22 btn kts were in the same condition.

I have installed many, many of the DSX series systems and prior to today, had never saw this on a display. Have any of you guys ran into this issue? If so, what did you do to resolve the problem. I appreciate your help in advance.......

Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 10:40 AM
what happens when you connect the 22 button phones directly to the DSX 80 at the MDF ?

does the analog station still work in the remote building ?

Posted By: ateletech Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 11:39 AM
The 22 buttons still show initialize on the display. The analog port is inoperative as well. I suspect the cards in both failures.

I just find it strange that the cards show no visible signs of damage and the protectors are not being blown. I guess the core issue is what is happening to these stations to cause this? I have verified grounding, changed cable pairs and certified the pairs/terminations with a LAN test set.

Thanks for your help, Skip.

Posted By: STS E Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 12:26 PM
Make sure the protectors are installed at the KSU and the far end.

Check that you have the proper rated protectors installed.
The analog and the digital ports will be rated at different voltages. That is the key. This is a very common problem if
phones are not feed by same power source, which creates a ground loop.

Review your grounding practices as well.
Posted By: skip555 Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 12:47 PM
its a perfect application for a fiber link and VOIP phones no protectors needed and as a bonus you get the LAN at the outbuilding.

Posted By: Ken B Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 12:54 PM
Are there other working phones on the same card?

If not, have you verified that the service switches on the cards are both set to the "in service" position?

If so, are there spare working ports you can move these sets to?
Posted By: ateletech Re: NEC DSX-80 Strange Issue - 05/01/14 01:50 PM
Thanks to all for your quick replies. Let me address the responses as follows;

Ken: Yes, the other ports are working on both cards. As a quick remedy, I will move those ports this morning.

STS: Believe me brother, this grounding, protectors and ratings have been checked and rechecked. I do notice a slight hum with the fluorescent lighting that also comes across the speaker of my butt set, ever so lightly.....

Skip: There is currently fiber between the buildings being utilized by the LAN......VERY Good Idea. I will approach the customer with this scenario this morning.

Again, thanks to you all for your input. Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes.......

ateletech
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help