atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ABLE1 SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/14/20 12:44 AM
Hello all,

I am being asked to install a Polycom SoundStation 2W on a NEC SL2100.

I know that it will have to be connected to a SLT Port. But, I need a little
insight as to how the SLT Port would be configured to work with
the Conference Phone with multiple (2 or 3) remote users.

Anyone have any experience with this application??

Thanks in advance.

Les
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/14/20 03:16 AM
Like a 3 way conf?
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/14/20 03:29 AM
Hi Coral,

Yes, in the respect that at the office conference room there might be
4-6 individuals sitting around the desk and the 2 or 3 connected
via the CO Trunk Lines.

All would be part of one conference call.

The desk conference phone would be connected through the SLT Port
on the SL2100.

Thanks,

Les
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 03:07 PM
Interesting, I don't see where the SLT port can do a 3 way conf.in the user manual. Does the SL2100 have a conf bridge or can license one?
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 03:26 PM
Coral,

That is a interesting question. Or should I say dilemma.
Personally I never thought of that kind of issue.

Maybe the question would be: What is the proper(best) solution
to install a Conference Phone on SL2100 with Digital Phones.

Using a IP based unit comes to mind but what is required to that
on a SL2100??

Is this even possible??

Thanks in advance.

Les
Posted By: Ken B Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 03:45 PM
Get yourself a copy of the Single Line Terminal User Guide - it has the procedure to set up a conference call from an analog device.
Posted By: dans Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 04:20 PM
Doesn't matter if the conference phone is analog or IP.
What does matter is knowing how to establish conference calls and how many trunks ports are available.
Analog trunks: Regarding the system setting up the conference calls, in this case the SL2100, DB levels will drop with every call added to the conference.

SL2100 comes standard with 8 VoIP channels, anything needed over that will require the VoIP daughter board.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 04:49 PM
https://telecomsystemsuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SL2100-SLT-User-Guide-English-Issue-1.pdf

Is there another manual? I was looking at this, I remember on the UX5000 it was a bit to do but could be done.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/16/20 09:18 PM
Ok, so this is encouraging!!

However, what needs to be known here is are there any specific program
changes that are needed to make the Conference call on a Non-NEC
Single Line Phone to function as desired??

Or will it work out of the box??

Also, I have found now two(2) SLT User Guides that say two(2) different things
on the page with instructions about Conference Calls.

Issue 1.0
May 2017
Press HookFlash followed by #1

Issue 1.0
September 2017
Press HookFlash followed by 8 - 2 - 6

I can only "ass'u'me" that the September version may/might be correct.

My concern is as above any program changes that would be needed.

Also these keystrokes seem to be for the actual SLT phone from NEC.

Will this also apply to any Non-NEC analog conference phone that is connected to this SL2100 SLT Port??

Where I don't want to is the get a unit only to find out later I should have purchased this other
unit because the first was not compatible.

Again, any hints or suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Les
Posted By: helpifican Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/17/20 12:45 PM
Many operations in this system can be done using more than one set of codes. Both should work.
I suggest testing with a butt set before purchasing the conference unit. We have used them on many systems with no issues. IP units require a license.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/17/20 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by helpifican
Many operations in this system can be done using more than one set of codes. Both should work.
I suggest testing with a butt set before purchasing the conference unit. We have used them on many systems with no issues. IP units require a license.

Hello helpifican,

Thanks!!! The butt set thought is most helpful.

So if I am getting the drift correct, the SLT's do not need to have
any programming done?? They are already in a functional state??

Thanks again.

Les
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/17/20 01:53 PM
It needs an ext number to be active. There are things you can program on an SLT. Only system I ever worked on that didn't need an ext # to be active was Tadiran.
Posted By: dans Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/17/20 02:47 PM
SL2100 by default assigns station numbers to its analog ports.
2 analog station ports are built into the 8 port digital station card
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/17/20 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by dans
SL2100 by default assigns station numbers to its analog ports.
2 analog station ports are built into the 8 port digital station card

Yes, looking at PCPro the extension numbers for the SLT ports are listed
as Ext. 181 to Ext. 184

So, if I understand correctly if I would connect my butt set or a plain telephone
I would just dial 181 from any other extension phone and the connected phone
would ring??

Or from the phone go off hook, press 9 and dial an outside number and it
should start ringing that number.

If that be true then this gets much easier. The only challenge would be to get
the proper timing on a HookFlash. That is not easily possible on my butt set.
I will have to give it a test shot to see what happens.

Thanks,

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/20/20 12:38 PM
Sorry, late to the conversation, but I have a few customers with this exact set-up on the 1100 and 2100 with the SoundStation's and it works fine using the built-in Conference on the system. There is no need for hookflash or codes.

Set up your conference groups in 20-34 with passwords, conference length, etc.

Set up the group number in 11-19

Local users on MLT or SLT will just dial the conference group number, enter the password and they are connected.

Remote users can call in and enter the conference group number, enter the password and they are connected. I have a couple of systems that have DID's I have just forwarded to the conference so all they have to enter is the password. Multiple users, it works great. If they have analog lines and experience dB loss (which I have not come across), you can increase the conference gain in 14-01-04 and 05, but I think that only effects if it is done via phone and not the conference group.

If you are only going to have a single conference room, you can set-up the bridge button on the Polycom to automatically dial the extension and password with a single press of the soft button. Otherwise, you can set up each room in the phonebook and they would select it from the list.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/20/20 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by cswroe
Sorry, late to the conversation, but I have a few customers with this exact set-up on the 1100 and 2100 with the SoundStation's and it works fine using the built-in Conference on the system. There is no need for hookflash or codes.

Set up your conference groups in 20-34 with passwords, conference length, etc.

Set up the group number in 11-19

Local users on MLT or SLT will just dial the conference group number, enter the password and they are connected.

Remote users can call in and enter the conference group number, enter the password and they are connected. I have a couple of systems that have DID's I have just forwarded to the conference so all they have to enter is the password. Multiple users, it works great. If they have analog lines and experience dB loss (which I have not come across), you can increase the conference gain in 14-01-04 and 05, but I think that only effects if it is done via phone and not the conference group.

If you are only going to have a single conference room, you can set-up the bridge button on the Polycom to automatically dial the extension and password with a single press of the soft button. Otherwise, you can set up each room in the phonebook and they would select it from the list.

Hi cswroe,

You are not late to the party. Actually you are right on time. Thanks for the input.
I have the SoundStation 2W on the way and I should have it next week.

Presently I have the SLT port patched through to a RJ11 jack. I have tested it with my
butt set and it is good. Have not done anything else at this time.

As for the programming you have provided is exactly what I needed. I will set those
locations as suggested.

Question: Locally there are only 4 CO lines so the number of remote users will be limited
to two(2). If the are calling in they would be answered by the receptionist. The receptionist
will then transfer to Ext. 181, will the remote user then be asked to enter the passcode or
will the receptionist do this when transferring??

Once I get the unit connected I may have other specific questions. grin

Thanks for the assist.

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/20/20 01:57 PM
In that specific scenario, the user will need to enter the security code, supervised transfer into the conference group does not work so the receptionist will transfer to 181 and hang-up.

I have tried different workarounds without success even trying to manually conference the conference group in will not work....the system knows.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/20/20 02:08 PM
In that specific scenario, the user will need to enter the security code, supervised transfer into the conference group does not work so the receptionist will transfer to 181 and hang-up.

I have tried different workarounds without success even trying to manually conference the conference group in will not work....the system knows.

Thanks for the extra input.
The more likely procedure at this location will be staff will make the calls to the remote user
using the Conference Room phone. I assume that will connect them directly with out
the use of a passcode. Other local users will just dial the Ext. 181 and enter the passcode.

If that is correct then it will be very easy to set up and make functional.

Thank again.

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/20/20 06:19 PM
There may be some confusion; hopefully, I can elaborate.

The Conference Room phone (Polycom) will dial the number for the Conference Group (whatever number you designate in 11-19) and the password specified in 20-34. They are now part of the conference Group Call on the SL2100.

Anyone else on-site wishing to attend will dial the Conference Group Number (11-19) and the password (20-34). They are now part of the conference Group Call on the SL2100.

Off-site users will need to do the same. If they call into the receptionist, they can be transferred to the Conference Group by the receptionist pressing transfer and dialing the Conference Group Number (11-19), the off-site user will need to enter the password (20-34). They are now part of the conference group call.

Off-site users can be called by the receptionist and the same steps above will work.

There is really no way for the off-site user to not enter the passcode as far as I can tell. Maybe someone has a suggestion, but I have never been able to get around that limitation.

The only other option is to do a conference bridge outside the SL2100 using something like freeconferencecalling.com or another provider.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/21/20 01:39 AM
Hi cswroe,

Sorry that I am being confusing...................... laugh

SOoooooo, am I wrong, that a call from the Conference Room Phone at Ext. 181
with a number string like 9 717 XXX XXXX will not work to connect a remote
off site user??

If the answer to that is "yes" then I am wrong. Then it is also true that pressing the Conf. Button on the
PolyCom phone and dialing a second number to link to a 2nd user will not work as well??

With this specific application there might be maybe 4 to 5 users on site and will most likely be
in the conference room at the time off the call sitting around the table. Small office and shop.

They want to connect to a maximum of two remote users. I don't see a big problem with the
procedure you describe with connecting to the remote user. I just thought that going by the
way of the Polycom manual in connecting users to the discussion the simpler way to do it.

If the only way as you describe is the way it will work then so be it and it shall be.

I really appreciate the discussion here. Very helpful.

BTW the source that I purchased the Polycom from, turns out DO NOT HAVE stock even though the
website clearly states they had stock. I cancelled the order and have received a refund.

I have found another source and it is to be on the way. Will receive later than desired. mad

Thanks again!!

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/21/20 02:10 PM
The Conference button on the polycom is basically a flash button, so you will have to instruct them to press that plus the appropriate feature code as described below:
Single Line Terminal
1. Establish intercom or trunk call.
2. Hookflash and dial #1.
3. Dial extension you want to add.
- OR -
Access trunk call.
- OR -
Retrieve call from Park orbit.
4. Hookflash and repeat step 3 to add more parties.
- OR -
Hookflash twice to set up the Conference

Hookflash is often an enigma as it is a balancing act between PBX and Telco and within those two there is an additional timing condominium of spinning plates.

I have found the group conference to be easier personally and I don't get blamed when the conference room folks hang up on everyone when setting up the call or by accidentally hanging up since the conference button is just below the answer/disconnect button, but you have options. The Group Conference is basically getting to the Group Extension (transferred, dialed directly, forwarded via DID, button on Auto Attendant, etc) and enter the passcode which can be 1-1-1-1 and you are all set.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 11/21/20 02:28 PM
Ok,

I am getting the drift that there will be some interesting challenges
during the training. Especially mine!!!

I may just go in at night and play until I find the easiest solution
for connecting. Then make up a good cheat sheet to present
to the powers that be.

Needless to say, it will have some of your wordage included. grin

Thanks for the extra tidbit's of input.

Have a good weekend.

Les
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/02/20 01:11 AM
Hello cswroe,

So after the office closed today I was on site and connected the Polycom SoundStation 2W.

Unit connected to the base and I got a dial tone. I pressed a 9 and got the second dial tone.

I then dialed my home number and................................ well lets just say it would not ring properly.

I tried several times with several results. I concluded that the DTMF through the SLT port is
somewhat incompatible. I connected to their Fax Line and dialed the same number and it
rang through just fine as it should.

Moving on to the conference call set up. As you suggested from the Polycom I entered the
Conference Group Number of 401 (default) 11-19 and password 1111 (default) 20-34
Extension 111 rang and went to speaker phone. ?????

Then from Ext 104 I pressed Speaker and 401 and got a busy then 1111 and still busy.

I double checked the programming for 11-19 and 20-34 and they are still default to 401 and 1111

So I am thinking I am missing a keystroke some where.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/02/20 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ABLE1
Hello cswroe,

So after the office closed today I was on site and connected the Polycom SoundStation 2W.

Unit connected to the base and I got a dial tone. I pressed a 9 and got the second dial tone.

I then dialed my home number and................................ well lets just say it would not ring properly.

I tried several times with several results. I concluded that the DTMF through the SLT port is
somewhat incompatible. I connected to their Fax Line and dialed the same number and it
rang through just fine as it should.

Moving on to the conference call set up. As you suggested from the Polycom I entered the
Conference Group Number of 401 (default) 11-19 and password 1111 (default) 20-34
Extension 111 rang and went to speaker phone. ?????

Then from Ext 104 I pressed Speaker and 401 and got a busy then 1111 and still busy.

I double checked the programming for 11-19 and 20-34 and they are still default to 401 and 1111

So I am thinking I am missing a keystroke some where.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Les

Check 11-19 again. As far as I know, the default is blank and 401 would be in the system numbering plan. Depending on the system, try using a number that would be more in line with that location. If it is a small system, remove 190 from the extensions numbering in 11-02 and put that in at 11-19.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/02/20 04:56 PM
Ok I put 190 in 11-19 as suggested.

BTW some of what might be going on is that this system was initially programed by another.
When i went to 11-02 only the Existing Extensions were numbered.
Port 001 is Ext 100
Port 002 is Ext 101
Port 003 is Ext 102
--
--
Port 008 is Ext 107
Port 009 is Ext 181 SLT
Port 010 is Ext 182 SLT
--
--
Port 018 is Ext 115
Port 019 is Ext 183 SLT
Port 020 is Ext 184 SLT

After that all has been cleared out up to Port 112 to Port 128 which are
at what I would guess are default Ext 413 to Ext 428.

I will try the new setting later this afternoon.

I am a bit concerned about the DTMF potentially being off tone on the SLT port.
Do you know if that Is something that can be adjusted or corrected??

Thanks for the assist!!

Les
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 02:53 AM
Ok cswroe,

Today, I connected the Polycom to the SLT port Ext 181.

I tried the suggested dialing 190 but all I got was a fast busy. Pressing the Passcode of 1111 just rang Ext. 111

I then from an extension phone dialed 181, took a bit but the Polycom rang and I answered by
pressing the phone button on the unit to answer the call.

Then on the extension phone the display showed CONF I pressed the button under it.

I then picked a CO line and dialed my home number and my wife answered.

Then on the extension phone the display showed ADD I pressed the button under it.

I then pressed the Speaker button and dialed another Extension phone.

That phone rang and I answered it.

Then the first extension phone showed ADD and I pressed the button under it.

Then on first extension phone the display showed BEGIN I pressed the button under it.

Then all parties were connected in a Conference Call.

It took a while to run through the steps to get it to work. A wrong key press and had to start over.

So I think the above will work. Do you see a flaw in the process??

As always I hope the above will help others faced with a similar challenge.

Let me know your thoughts. Also would like to know your thoughts on the DTMF question.

Thanks for the assist.

Les
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 08:41 PM
Ok cswroe,

Today, I connected the Polycom to the SLT port Ext 181.

I tried the suggested dialing 190 but all I got was a fast busy. Pressing the Passcode of 1111 just rang Ext. 111

I then from an extension phone dialed 181, took a bit but the Polycom rang and I answered by
pressing the phone button on the unit to answer the call.

Then on the extension phone the display showed CONF I pressed the button under it.

I then picked a CO line and dialed my home number and my wife answered.

Then on the extension phone the display showed ADD I pressed the button under it.

I then pressed the Speaker button and dialed another Extension phone.

That phone rang and I answered it.

Then the first extension phone showed ADD and I pressed the button under it.

Then on first extension phone the display showed BEGIN I pressed the button under it.

Then all parties were connected in a Conference Call.

It took a while to run through the steps to get it to work. A wrong key press and had to start over.

So I think the above will work. Do you see a flaw in the process??

As always I hope the above will help others faced with a similar challenge.

Let me know your thoughts. Also would like to know your thoughts on the DTMF question.

Thanks for the assist.

Les

Check the COS at 20-13-46 for that SLT. That should be enabled to use the internal Conference Group. If those are all in COS 1 then that will also fix the MLT issue calling the Conference Group. I did not even know that was there until I looked in the manual trying to figure out why it is not working for you. Seems like the previous tech turned and disabled a lot of stuff.

The other way will work too, just more buttons to press.

As far as the DTMF, you could try re-doing the line calibration in 90-68-01tio to see if that helps. I am not sure what issue you are experiencing. There are some settings in 80-xx regarding that, I have never had to change from the default.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 09:45 PM
Check the COS at 20-13-46 for that SLT. That should be enabled to use the internal Conference Group. If those are all in COS 1 then that will also fix the MLT issue calling the Conference Group. I did not even know that was there until I looked in the manual trying to figure out why it is not working for you. Seems like the previous tech turned and disabled a lot of stuff.

As far as the DTMF, you could try re-doing the line calibration in 90-68-01tio to see if that helps. I am not sure what issue you are experiencing. There are some settings in 80-xx regarding that, I have never had to change from the default.

Ok, I checked 20-13-46 and the Remote Conference block is checked.

I looked for 90-68-01 but it does not exist. Typo??

As for the DTMF issue. It seems that the numbers entered into the Polycom is not what is transmitted.
At first I tried to dial out to my home number. I pressed the phone button (dial tone) 9 (dial tone) 717-XXX-XXXX
Received a recording saying that I need dial a 1 before the area code. So I tried again thinking that the local
CO area may need a 1 first. So I pressed the phone button (dial tone) 9 (dial tone) 1-717-XXX-XXXX
To my surprise the person on the line said. "9-1-1 Do you have an emergency??"
CRAP!!! Made my apologies and wished her a good day.

I had other issues from a busy, to dead air, etc. At one point I connected direct to a CO Line and dialed out
and it worked as it should. So as I said before it seems the DTMF on the SLT Port is out of sync or something.

It seems there are adjustments in 10-09 84-34 84-36 84-37 But, I feel that making any changes may
cause other bad things to happen. Don't want to go there!!!

Thanks for the any insight.

Les
Posted By: Yoda Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 09:57 PM
90-68-01 must be done from a phone onsite.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 10:30 PM
Oh right!! The phone line calibration procedure. Sorry, I missed that point. blush
Posted By: cswroe Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/03/20 10:36 PM

Ok, I checked 20-13-46 and the Remote Conference block is checked.

I looked for 90-68-01 but it does not exist. Typo??

As for the DTMF issue. It seems that the numbers entered into the Polycom is not what is transmitted.
At first I tried to dial out to my home number. I pressed the phone button (dial tone) 9 (dial tone) 717-XXX-XXXX
Received a recording saying that I need dial a 1 before the area code. So I tried again thinking that the local
CO area may need a 1 first. So I pressed the phone button (dial tone) 9 (dial tone) 1-717-XXX-XXXX
To my surprise the person on the line said. "9-1-1 Do you have an emergency??"
CRAP!!! Made my apologies and wished her a good day.

I had other issues from a busy, to dead air, etc. At one point I connected direct to a CO Line and dialed out
and it worked as it should. So as I said before it seems the DTMF on the SLT Port is out of sync or something.

It seems there are adjustments in 10-09 84-34 84-36 84-37 But, I feel that making any changes may
cause other bad things to happen. Don't want to go there!!!

Thanks for the any insight.

Les

Is it checked for the corresponding COS for that extension? It may not be in that first COS.

The manual has the default settings so may want to compare what is in that to the system. Seems like a small system, may download the programming, default the system, and see if all is well. If so, just reload what you need.
Posted By: ABLE1 Re: SL2100 and Polycom SoundStation 2W - 12/04/20 01:08 AM
Just checked, all COS 01 to 15 blocks are checked in 20-13-46

Yes it is a small system. 4 CO's and 13 Digital Stations.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help