atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Computer help - 12/15/04 07:53 AM
Hello everyone, I have posted a few things on the computer forum, as that is my expertice but I just wanted everyone to know a little about what I do. Currently I am having a few problems with my DCS Compact phone system so I came accross this site and you guys have been great with all the help so I figured I would offer some of my services to you. I am a windows system administrator with MCSE, A+ and network admin certs. I have a few years of experience with web design and Cat 5 cabling. If anyone has any questions, please e-mail me and I will see what I can do for you.

-Austin
Posted By: Toner Re: Computer help - 12/15/04 08:08 PM
Hey Austin,

I'm setting up a NAT router and I have a few questions about it. When I do a tracert to a public address I get the response from the first hop OK (192.168.X.X) but I can't get any responses after that. Internet access works OK along with SMNP etc. The tracert worked fine with the old router. What would the problem be?
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Computer help - 12/16/04 05:01 AM
Well, there could be a few different things that could be wrong. The first thing that I need to know is what kind of router do you have? There is a big difference from diagnosing a Cisco router compared to a Linksys. Also what type of Broadband connection are you tieing it in to? Unfortunately without knowing those couple things, there are too many possibilities. It sounds to me like a common problem of the router not being able to retreive an IP address and DNS IP's from your local ISP. Just let me know though and I will see what I can do.

-Austin
Posted By: junkman Re: Computer help - 12/21/04 11:13 AM
I've also had a weird problem with traceroute. Using Linksys routers and cable modems at 3 locations, when I do a traceroute from windows it reboots the router, but when I do a traceroute from linux, it works fine. It is a consistent problem. Not really a big issue, but I'd like to know what causes it.
Posted By: Toner Re: Computer help - 12/21/04 06:05 PM
My problem is not a DNS problem - web pages work perfectly. I can tracert to my ISP's router but no further. I doubt you will know any specifics about my router, but it's a Nortel BCM.
Posted By: BesTechIT Re: Computer help - 03/08/05 09:05 PM
The problem sounds to me like traceroute is blocked on the router.
Traditional trace route sends out UDP packets until it receives a ICMP Echo Reply packet from every host along the way.
Microsoft Tracert is different it sends out ICMP Echo Request packets, rather then UDP packets. More than likely ping (ICMP) is disable on your router or on the ISP's routers. Setup a rule to allow ICMP traffic originated from your network to receive ICMP traffic in return. Not familiar with your router but test by sending ping command first. If you can ping yahoo.com this will verify that dns is working and that you can ping from behind your router. Tracert -d can also be used to make tracert a little faster and leave out the dns resolution. But you are right, DNS has nothing to do with tracert. Tracert will function regardless of DNS functionality.
Happy pinging!
Posted By: BesTechIT Re: Computer help - 03/08/05 09:06 PM
The problem sounds to me like traceroute is blocked on the router.
Traditional trace route sends out UDP packets until it receives a ICMP Echo Reply packet from every host along the way.
Microsoft Tracert is different it sends out ICMP Echo Request packets, rather then UDP packets. More than likely ping (ICMP) is disable on your router or on the ISP's routers. Setup a rule to allow ICMP traffic originated from your network to receive ICMP traffic in return. Not familiar with your router but test by sending ping command first. If you can ping yahoo.com this will verify that dns is working and that you can ping from behind your router. Tracert -d can also be used to make tracert a little faster and leave out the dns resolution. But you are right, DNS has nothing to do with tracert. Tracert will function regardless of DNS functionality.
Happy pinging!

------------------
BesTech IT Solutions
url=https://www.bestechit.com]BesTech.com[/url]
Cisco, Watchguard, Microsoft and Novell Servers
Posted By: dtmf Re: Computer help - 03/09/05 01:01 PM
BesTechIT
What's up with your site dude, it's only half there. Is the other half on a Win 98 server. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Computer help - 03/09/05 03:51 PM
probably needs some help with it.
Posted By: BesTechIT Re: Computer help - 03/09/05 06:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dtmf:
BesTechIT
What's up with your site dude, it's only half there. Is the other half on a Win 98 server. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
</font>

My website says BEST not fastest. I'll get it done here soon.

------------------
BesTech IT Solutions
BesTechIT.com
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Computer help - 03/09/05 08:58 PM
BT IT I could help ya finish your web site for a large nominal fee. What are you using for a plug tonight??
Posted By: BesTechIT Re: Computer help - 03/10/05 05:53 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Punch Down:
BT IT I could help ya finish your web site for a large nominal fee. What are you using for a plug tonight??</font>

No Thanks, I've seen your website...LOL

------------------
BesTech IT Solutions
BesTechIT.com
Posted By: dtmf Re: Computer help - 03/10/05 01:52 PM
BesTechIT
I checked you out because I seem to remember you from my LSU days and do recall you getting into some trouble there. i hope that was a one time deal. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help