atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: aweaver File Sync Software - 05/05/05 04:58 PM
I'm looking for software to synchronize the files on my laptop & our server. When I come back to the office & log in to the network it would be nice if both my laptop & server had the latest information. Looking for something that works like Microsoft Active Sync. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: Z-man Re: File Sync Software - 05/05/05 09:56 PM
Are you trying to sync Outlook files?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: File Sync Software - 05/06/05 04:43 AM
Why don't you use Windows Briefcase?
Posted By: Xaqte Re: File Sync Software - 05/06/05 05:04 AM
How about offline files:
https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;307853&

Or if you really wanted software to do this:
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/
Posted By: aweaver Re: File Sync Software - 05/06/05 05:09 AM
NO. Not Outlook files. I'm trying to keep my server updated with all the PBX & VM backups I have stored on my laptop and these files change every day. I don't want to use Windows Briefcase becuase I can't be restricted to this directory.
Posted By: bullcube Re: File Sync Software - 05/06/05 09:26 AM
If you change the target of "My Documents" to a network drive, they should synchronize automatically during logoff if the resource is available.
(The backups would obviously have to be stored there.)
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: File Sync Software - 05/06/05 04:44 PM
I do this on my laptop. Then, when I connect to the office network, either locally, or by VPN, my files sync up. It works pretty well. I use offline files. My laptop is running WinXP Pro, but I also had done it on a Win2K laptop. I do it for the same reason as you stated: to have phone system backups put up on the server, and my other files available and up to date on my laptop. Files on the server get backed up regularly, which is the main reason. I also burn a CD now and then, just as an extra precaution.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: bradleyland Re: File Sync Software - 05/16/05 12:36 PM
I second Xaqte's recommendation for offline files. It will even alert you of version conflicts. For example, if someone edits a file while you're out and your laptop attempts to sync with a version you've edited.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help