atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: infringer Dual Monitor Question - 11/06/07 11:30 AM
Hi Guys, I have a question for you.

I've been using dual monitors for quite a while. I couldn't work without them any more. I love the screen real estate.

Anyway, that actually has nothing to do with my question.

The question is, I have a public computer that our employees can access and use. We've been talking about an electronic message board for us to use to communicate messages to them, while in the office, news updates, etc. Then I had the idea of setting up a second monitor on that computer and forcing it to look at a webpage that just constantly refreshes every 5 minutes or so. Or something to that effect.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to set up dual monitors and run a program so that it runs on the second monitor and then NOT allow anyone to change anything on the second monitor?

I've not really come up with anything other than setting up an older computer to act as the message board only.

Thanks,
-David
Posted By: Kumba Re: Dual Monitor Question - 11/06/07 01:50 PM
Well, I dont have a very graceful solution, but I do have one.

Install the machine "Headless" except for the second monitor and install VNC on it. Then all you have to do it figure out a way to make the page auto-refresh. If you have access to the HTML page you can insert a javascript into the header to auto-refresh every 5 seconds or so. I'll leave google to show you how to do that.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Dual Monitor Question - 11/13/07 04:54 PM
install the second monitor and MAKE the employees keep the browser open all the time. You would be amazed at the results. I had a company who told their employees to never use email for personal use. One did...they got fired...problem never occured again. You just tell em to keep the browser open or else..You could also do group Instant Messaging if you think that would work.
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: Dual Monitor Question - 11/14/07 07:06 AM
And morale is at an all-time high!
Posted By: Z-man Re: Dual Monitor Question - 11/14/07 03:29 PM
well....I am sure the beatings help with the moral...haha....maybe that was a harsh example, but my point being is employees are obligated to follow directions......that is what they are paid to do.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Dual Monitor Question - 11/14/07 03:32 PM
I don't know about harsh, but one of my customers owns 6 fast food restaurants. One guy was fired on the spot for coming late to training. Kinda tells the riff raff who's boss.

Carl
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help