atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: RRino VGA to Ethernet - 12/03/09 06:58 AM
Any recommendations on a VGA to Ethernet converter? I have a customer that has a conference room with a flat screen on one wall and want to locate a pc on the opposite wall and use the flat screen for the monitor to do presentations. There is plenty of cat5 data jacks on both walls so they would like to utilize that instead of having to run a whole new VGA cable. I did a google search and came up with many different products. Anybody using something like this? How about wireless?
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: VGA to Ethernet - 12/03/09 07:18 AM
I have used these many times https://muxlab.com/products/ve_vga_balunII.html

I do not think you need powered baluns if the cable is in the same room. These are passive but will work up to:

SXGA: 1280x1024 pixels (100MHz) 200ft (61m)
WXGA:1366x768 pixels 180ft (55m)

One CAT5 is all it takes. If you have multiple CAT5 cables you could also do HDMI but those extenders are more expensive.
Posted By: Z-man Re: VGA to Ethernet - 12/03/09 05:11 PM
I would be concerned about image quality and such. I always use VGA and HDMI cables instead of converters. They cost a lot less too.
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: VGA to Ethernet - 12/03/09 08:21 PM
If you have to access the ceiling and it is a return air plenum, your VGA cables are going to be very expensive. Not only does the cable jacket have to be plenum-rated, but all the conductors do too. It is actually cheaper to use baluns.
Posted By: keytel Re: VGA to Ethernet - 12/04/09 03:46 AM
Travis,

I recently installed these at a dentists office with great success. He was using his pc/laptop to display xrays/charts etc to his patients on the lcd tvs that are mounted on the walls.
Distance between the 2 was about 35 ft and image quality was no problem.
https://www.campney.net/vgcat.php
It was a far more cost efficient solution over ordering custom length vga cables.

Paul
Posted By: RRino Re: VGA to Ethernet - 12/04/09 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the info. We looked at custom vga cables and they werent all that expensive themselves, but add in the cost of labor to install them and the price gets comparable to using one of the products above.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help