atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: soyons-expositifs think ill be alright - 03/04/10 08:04 AM
i have an old dell server. There is a bay for 6 hard disks in which i only have 3. On top of said bay there are 3 cooling fans. the one on top of the empty bay died last night, i dont think it should be a problem, the RPM's and temps are in spec.
should be ok?
Posted By: Clinton Re: think ill be alright - 03/04/10 09:04 AM
I don't think it would be an issue, but I would still look for a replacement. Your remaining fans may be on their way out as well. I just replaced 3 out of 4 fans in a switch that all died or started to die around the same time. A few days later, another fan in another switch the same age.

I would keep an eye out for a replacement fan. If you get a good one, use it for the bay that needs cooling and move the old fan to the empty bay, or keep it for a spare.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: think ill be alright - 03/04/10 11:07 AM
funny thing, the fan in the back of old dell dimensions has the same part number but the pinout is different, i re pinned, the fan runs but doesnt inform of the speed. I turned the fan speed down to the quiet one since its not a huge issue, the ambient temp in the room is 9 celcius and the temp in the server is 15
Posted By: rustynails Re: think ill be alright - 03/04/10 01:28 PM
Typically fans attached to the mother board header come in three ways.

2 pin - always on

3 pin - On with sensor to report back to mother board that its on and functioning.

4 pin - On, w/sensor and control. The motherboard has the ability to throttle the fan up/down depending on ambient temps.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: think ill be alright - 03/04/10 02:15 PM
yeah, these are three pin, with the white signal wire in the middle instead of the outside, they are variable speed with the poweredge software.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: think ill be alright - 03/05/10 08:12 AM
What sort of environment is your server in? I have seen servers installed in:
  • Closets
  • Bathrooms
  • Under Stairwells
  • Warehouses
  • ...and sometimes a climate-controlled room

Environment plays a hugh factor in the longevity of electronic equipment.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: think ill be alright - 03/05/10 01:51 PM
haha an airconditioned server room that is kept at 14 celcius, this server is 8 years old, its due!
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: think ill be alright - 03/05/10 01:52 PM
haha an airconditioned server room that is kept at 14 celcius, this server is 8 years old, its due!
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: think ill be alright - 03/07/10 12:38 PM

ECHO
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help