atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Phil Windows 7 - 01/02/12 10:43 AM
Are there different versions of Windows 7? If so, which version would I need to keep up with Windows XP Professional? I guess that should read, take the place of....
Posted By: Derrick Re: Windows 7 - 01/02/12 11:29 AM
Win 7 Professional. Anything with "home" is not going to allow you to log on to a domain server.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Windows 7 - 01/03/12 11:49 AM
Here is a good overview of what each has.
I prefer professional versions of operating systems, even if for home use.
https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare
Posted By: Phil Re: Windows 7 - 01/03/12 11:50 AM
I was kinda thinking that - the Toshiba software I need to use needs the networking capabilities, too, not to mention the Mitel stuff, and all the other programs I have for administering phone systems and voice mail. Thank you Derrick!! clap And thank you, Jeff! Much help there - I can compare versions, and determine what exactly I need! :bow:
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Windows 7 - 01/03/12 12:35 PM
I don't think you would see a difference between home and pro for that type of connection, but when connecting to a Windows Server Active Directory domain, you need a professional OS.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Windows 7 - 01/03/12 04:31 PM
Phil,

Long time no see...Hope all is well. You definitely want to get 7-Pro, not home.

-Larry
Posted By: TheRealAndyCook Re: Windows 7 - 01/03/12 09:51 PM
i suggest dualbooting into windows 7 for a few weeks, just to make sure everything works

drivers/etc

And that you remember to get all the software you need, then once you are sure, reinstall with a clean copy of windows. Nothing sucks more then realizing you cant get ABC to work on XYZ because you deleted it from 123
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Windows 7 - 01/04/12 07:25 AM
honestly, for what you are doing you dont really need pro, as a network admin i can tell you the only plus to pro is the active directory integration, and unless you are connecting to a corporate network daily, its not realy needed for you.
Posted By: Brian H Re: Windows 7 - 01/04/12 09:56 AM
I would DEFINITELY go with Win 7 Professional. It allows you to run older programs in XP mode without having to go through the hassle of installing a virtual machine.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Windows 7 - 01/04/12 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian H:
I would DEFINITELY go with Win 7 Professional. It allows you to run older programs in XP mode without having to go through the hassle of installing a virtual machine.
Windows XP mode is a virtual machine.
Posted By: Brian H Re: Windows 7 - 01/04/12 01:49 PM
I should have been more clear. What I meant was not having to install Microsoft Virtual PC (or VMware) then do an installation of XP in the virtual machine.

With Win 7 Professional or higher, all you have to do is install XP mode and it automatically installs an XP virtual machine.

You don't have to search for your XP disk and COA.
Posted By: TheRealAndyCook Re: Windows 7 - 01/04/12 05:15 PM
I'd actually suggest to just get win 7 Ultimiate. Trust me, nothing sucks more then trying to hack unsigned drivers into any other os.
Posted By: J-Jank Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 05:14 AM
If to speak about the future you'd better intall Windows 8 )))
Posted By: metelcom Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 05:25 AM
Originally posted by J-Jank:
If to speak about the future you'd better intall Windows 8 )))
NO...Avoid Windows 8 as it has Spyware built in to it. MS can not only see what you are doing and what is on your computer but can also take control, delete and install what ever they want.
Posted By: Keighlar Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 06:38 AM
Nothing about Windows 8 looks appealing to me on a desktop.
Posted By: justbill Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 06:42 AM
J-Jank is a spammer.
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 07:57 AM
Merritt, I'm not sure if you were being serious but none of that is true except for the following. There's been some drama raised about the ability to remove apps downloaded from the Microsoft app store. It is apps installed from there that Microsoft has the ability to remove. Google actually has this capability and so does Apple in their mobile platforms. If you have a tablet then yes both Apple and Google can reach in and remove apps. Google has used this feature twice to remove rogue apps.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 08:55 AM
tito, my experience with 'they can only' is that 'they' can do any ---- thing they want! If they want, they can install software to allow themselves any activity they want! Not a slam on M/S specifically. 'THEY' is your friendly, neighborhood catchall.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Windows 7 - 04/17/12 09:24 AM
I'm not sure where I read it but I'll try to find the article again. It was from the Internet so it must be correct laugh It was about MS being able to see all software installed and also able to shut off any software that is not certified with MS.
Posted By: www.telcom1.net Re: Windows 7 - 04/24/12 06:25 PM
Originally posted by soyons-expositifs:
honestly, for what you are doing you dont really need pro, as a network admin i can tell you the only plus to pro is the active directory integration, and unless you are connecting to a corporate network daily, its not realy needed for you.
You will need 7pro for the Toshiba programs, plus you will need xpMode for netmeeting to log into the os of the earlier IES's, the dialup is a little bit of a pain but it does work.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help