atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom portable printer - 04/29/15 11:19 PM
I need to start printing work orders in my van. I would like something that operates on 12vdc and can print from my phone or laptop. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: portable printer - 04/30/15 02:21 AM
I was looking for a portable printer at one time too, but gave up. All of the portable ones I found cost 4 times as much as a regular printer, used special ink cartridges and had a terrible page count to ink use.

I ended up buying a cheap HP LaserJet P1102W printer and a true sinewave inverter. Something in the 1500 to 2000 watt range.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: portable printer - 04/30/15 09:55 AM
I found a Canon IP100 for less than $100.....then I had to buy a battery for another $80. It's great because once the battery is charged, it lasts for weeks on standby. It has a bluetooth option, but I've not had good luck trying to use it. I'm trying to go the eBay route for a cheap interface, but for now, I can only print via the USB port from my laptop.

I'm still using my starter ink, but the consumables are about $40 for 2 cartridges. Except for the size, a full-sized Canon inkjet is less money, usually on sale for about $60 and the ink prices are comparable. It has a wireless print function. I print to my friend's via my iPad.

Carl
Posted By: Silversam Re: portable printer - 04/30/15 03:50 PM
How would a small inverter for the truck price out?

Sam
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: portable printer - 04/30/15 11:41 PM
Always cheap. I'd spring the $25 for the 400 Watt/800 peak unit. https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=inverter

Also, except it's even pricier, the Canon ip110 has WiFi.

Carl
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: portable printer - 05/01/15 08:59 AM
You need to be careful with those inverters as they are modified sinewave ones and electronics don't normally like that type of sinewave.

The Hp LaserJet has a power draw of around 8 amps which means you need a 1000 watt inverter at the minimum to cover the power on surge
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help