atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom Extend DSL - 11/15/20 02:32 PM
I have a location that has two PCs that I remote into. They put in a DSL connection for one of the PCs but I would like to connect the second PC to the same DSL. There is about 600' between the two PCs. How can I extend the DSL to the second PC (cheaply) ?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Extend DSL - 11/15/20 05:58 PM
I don't think you can share a DSL line. What you could do is network the two PCs and the DSL router. Then use a couple of ethernet "extenders" (really your own DSL) to extend the ethernet over a single pair to the remote PC.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Extend DSL - 11/16/20 09:07 AM
I second the idea of an Ethernet extension setup. They make them now that will operate over a single pair and not too expensive either.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Extend DSL - 11/16/20 03:00 PM
I thought it was possible but I was hoping to find someone that had done this and could tell me a good product to use. Would like to have something that does not need repeaters just one device on each end of 600' cable.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Extend DSL - 11/16/20 03:15 PM
Black Box has some pretty good gadgets for this. Not the cheapest out there, but likely the best.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Extend DSL - 11/16/20 05:46 PM
Would like to have something that does not need repeaters just one device on each end of 600' cable.

That's exactly what we're talking about.

-Hal
Posted By: Daniel Re: Extend DSL - 11/17/20 07:12 PM
https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/stor...Kit-G-SHDSL-2-Wire-15-Mbps/LB512A-KIT-R2

https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/stor...r-Kit-3km-144-Mbps/LB200A?item=LB200A-R4
Posted By: metelcom Re: Extend DSL - 11/17/20 10:52 PM
Thanks Daniel and the rest of you. I was hoping to find something cheap <200 Do you think I could get enough connection for remote programming by just running a 600' Cat 5
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Extend DSL - 11/18/20 05:56 AM
If you're willing to run a 600' cable, it would cost about the same for 600' of two-strand fiber. A pre-terminated cable wouldn't be too much more. A pair of media converters can be had for under $200.00.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but if the power is served by the same transformer, you might get a set of these to work. I've used something similar at a country club where they needed to extend a network connection to a pump house. It wasn't lightning-fast, in fact it was kinda slow, but for something like remote programming, it did OK.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...CISXkNSzi-0CFZTbDQodkbYB3w&gclsrc=ds
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Extend DSL - 11/18/20 06:02 AM
I've used NetSys extenders before. They can go almost 1000' if I remember correctly. The ones that we've used, are essentially setting up a VDSL circuit between the tow units. The trick is to make sure that they are not on the same pair as the original DSL circuit feeding your Internet connection. They can potentially interfere and reduce your signal.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help