atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tylan Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 08:54 AM
How do you backup the config of a DOS VM? I've notice directories named backup1, backup2, etc.

Basically, I want to backup a client's config before I go in and start working on boxes and the trans.txt. The other posts about using a hdd are good, but I'm talking about backing up the configs just in case I SCREW SOMETHING UP when I'm making changes.
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 09:24 AM
what are you talking about exactly. the mailbox structure?

If you copy out every .dvm file. these are your mail box structure. But if you want to really back things up to cover you a**. Just xcopy yor vm directory to a back up vm and you will be fine.

------------------
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]

WWW.THEBESTPHONESUPPORT.COM
Posted By: tylan Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 09:28 AM
I'd like to have two working copies of the VM. The original and the backup. I can work in the backup, and if it gets hosed I can always just switch to the original. I tried just making a copy of the VM dir, but you can't run it from another directory. Seems like it looks to c:\vm. It didn't like c:\vm2.

Does that help clarify my question?
Posted By: Bigkayeh Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 10:07 AM
Do your changes in the c:\vm and if you hose something xcopy the vm2 back to the vm and you will be right gack were you started.

Kerry
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 12:27 PM
Then just xcopy your vm directory to a backup directory.

use this command. You need to be on dos 6.22 for this command to work.

xcopy c:\vm\*.* c:\tvm\*.* /s /e /y

This will copy everything in your vm dir. to the tvm dir.

Then you can test away.

P.S. PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE SO WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!

------------------

Posted By: tylan Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 03:25 PM
I knew how to do the xcopy thing. I was wondering if I could have to runnable VM dirs. I tried the xcopy the other night, and I just got tons of errors when I ran govm from C:\VM2.
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: Comdial DOS VM - 01/12/05 06:10 PM
It should work as long as you boot up on the autoexec.bat and config.sys for the system.

I do it all the time with my back up files.

------------------

© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help