atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ctgsteve message notification won't dial all digits - 04/03/05 09:44 AM
I've got one that's kicking my butt-- hopefully you smart guys can help. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

I have a G1632 Comdial DSU (v 20A) with a Key Voice Corp Office Dos (v 8.2) with Rhetorex boards. The system will not reliably dial all digits of a phone number (usually a cell phone) when notifying of messages in the voicemail box. I figured that out by monitoring a SMDR port and noticing that all of the digits are not dialed. Also, random internal extensions are dialed when the failure occurs.

Any ideas? This system used to work ok, but now doesn't. I tried reloading an old COS setup into the DSU, and have tried several other vmail PC's and Rhetorex boards to no avail...

Thanks for any help!
Can the number be dialed from your butt set clipped onto the CO line that it's seizing when trying to dial out? Did you check for toll restriction on the extension? Did you check for toll restriction in the voicemail?

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Yes, the number can be dialed directly from the CO line. I haven't checked for the toll restrictions, but it will sometimes dial the complete number and the call will go through... Doesn't that preclude the toll restrictions? I do appreciate the reply!
Maybe the voicemail is dialing too fast for the KSU to keep up. Have you tried monitoring the vm ports with a buttset when the vm does the outbound notification?
The VM ports are IVPC (digital) ports so I can't do that. (Right?) Do you know a way to slow down the dialing on the Key Voice system? Thanks!
Have you tried running defrag on the VM?? I bought a new butt set the other day because I hadn't had any neat new toys for awhile. It is the LIL'BUTTIE RANGER by U Test-Um, Model LB255. In monitor mode it will detect and display all 16 DTMF tones being dialed on the CO line. Alot easier than transporting my other digit grabber toy around. With problems like this I always ask myself, what happened and what changed to make it stop working?
Slowing it down is not really possible. You could try adding a pause at the beginning of the dialing string. Double check what it is set to dial for outbound calls. Usually it is set to 9, (nine comma) but it depends on your programming. I can't remember off the top of my head where to find this in VM, but it should be easy to locate in there.

I was thinking monitoring it on the C.O. that it grabs, while it is dialing. I figured they were digital ports and couldn't be monitored right on the station port, so this is your next best option.

Here are some scenarios that would be worth checking into...

1. Voicemail is not allowing time for the phone system to grab a line before it starts dialing the number. Voicemail should be doing something like dialing 9, then pausing before dialing. See my comment above on checking this.

2. The phone system has a non-existent line in the line group that is being grabbed when dialing out. If someone else were on this line (attempting to dial out), the next call would go through as it would be grabbing a working line. This might explain the occasional successful notification.

3. You have a dead line in the line group. The explanation in #2 would mostly apply.

4. You have one or more of your LINES or one or more of your VM ports (in the DSU) toll restricted, which could explain the intermittent problem. Do a line printout and station printout of your VM ports to check for toll restriction. To test for toll restriction on LINES, you could manually access individual lines from a digital phone and dial your notification phone (cell or pager) number, exactly as VM is dialing it, from each line.

5. One or more of your lines requires an account code or additional 9 before calling out. Test this by calling the number from each line, as described in #4.

Check on those. If that still doesn't find and fix the problem, I'm sure we can still help point you in the right direction.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Some very good ideas here-- I will try them on Monday and let you know... Thanks!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help