atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: monwen PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 08:33 AM
help!! - moving office in Jun - have quotes for SHDSL & pri - new office is close to CO. SHDSL providers claims his service is superior to having my own PRI trunk. NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS DECISION.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 08:39 AM
are you going to be using this for voice or data?
Posted By: monwen Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 08:48 AM
both
Posted By: jwooten Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 08:56 AM
SHDSL has been around for many years in the European market. I would suggest you have your local service company in to discuss compatibility issues with your current equipment.
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 10:02 AM
In addition to discussing your local equipment's compatibility, you should also discuss your office's actual needs and use for this circuit.
In terms of total bandwidth, the SHDSL circuit is superior to the PRI:

A PRI provides a total bandwidth of 1.544 Mbps.
A 4-wire SHDSL Circuit can provide anywhere from 384Kbps up to 4.6Mbps.
Posted By: monwen Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 07:41 PM
my concern is which is more stable and reliable ... the t1/pri or the shdsl?
Posted By: ALLN1 Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 08:23 PM
Depending on the entrace cable into your complex would depend on the reliablility.

If all you have is copper then they would be about as reliable at each other. As long as your loop length on the SHDSL is less than 16K ft. It seems to have issues past that point. Also if you are past that point then it would probably be better to use T1/PRI.
Posted By: monwen Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/23/07 09:02 PM
we are going to be less than 10k ft from the co. However, iyho, $$$ not being an issue, is the t1pri preferable?
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/24/07 07:03 AM
IMHO, for normal voice and data applications, I prefer the ISDN PRI. However, SHDSL is preferable if you'll be requiring advanced services such as VPN, Remote LAN Access, Web Hosting, etc. Your voice services would then be provided via Multi-Line Voice over DSL [VoDSL].
Posted By: monwen Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/24/07 07:18 AM
Thanks. That seems to be the overwhelming concensus ... that a t1/pri is preferable if one is willing to spend the $$$
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: PRI OR SHDSL - 04/24/07 08:40 AM
Anytime monwen. Here's to a smooth and successful upcoming move to your new office! :toast:
© VOIP Business Telephone Help|Sundance Forums