atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: djweis Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 02:00 PM
I've got a customer with a Qwest Integrated T1 that needs to move soon. If I were to order a point to point T1 from their old location to their new location, should I expect it to work to put a crossover cable between the live circuit and the PtP and plug the router into the other end of the PtP? It seems like it should but I wanted to sanity check it.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 02:17 PM
why not just have quest move the T1 to the new location?
Posted By: djweis Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 02:55 PM
It's about 45 days or more for the move but they are moving in 10 days.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 03:11 PM
I would not think that would work but, I've never tried it. Hopefully, JustBill will stop by and see your question. I'm confident he'll have an answer.

BUT, even if it were to work, I would not do it. Too much potential for problems. PLUS, you MUST consider 911 issues. What happens if someone calls 911 and the Police show up at the old address? Do you want to have liability?

I realize you're just trying to do everything possible to help out the customer, and I applaud that clap But, the customer should have notified the phone company earlier. Let them work out that issue with the customer.

-Larry
Posted By: justbill Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 04:33 PM
I too have never tied two T1's together to basically extend the existing T1. You'd be putting the output of one conditioned circuit to the output of another conditioned circuit. I honestly don't know if it would work or not, I don't think I'd try it, although in theory it wouldn't be much different than passing it from CO to CO. I've never heard of tying two NID's together, my main question would be, even if it worked, if you had errors which T1 would you report? Maybe someone can give you a more definite answer.

If they can put in a new T1 in time they surely can move the existing in time.
Posted By: djweis Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 05:04 PM
I stopped in and spoke with one of the central office techs and he seemed to think it would work fine. Both locations are served from the same CO. They don't do hot cuts of this type of circuit, it's an entirely new circuit. The Integrated people get an Internet port that's hooked to a DS1 from the regulated people. That many ducks can't be lined up in less than a month I guess... I can get the new circuits as a CLEC in a regulated amount of time :-)
Posted By: whynot Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 05:14 PM
Great site. I have been lurking for the past couple months and have finally decided to register. To answer your question yes you can do it the way you described but, you must make sure that the LBO in the NIU's at the site where you are going to do the patch is set to 0. If not you will take errors. Now, like others here, I would not do it that way but,since you are on a timeline it should work fine for a temp. solution.
Posted By: justbill Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/18/07 06:08 PM
The LBO's to zero is a very good point, if you are on fiber it will already be zero if on copper it will probably be set to -8. Now another problem arises, you get in the NIU to change the line build out and once again you're in trouble. If it belongs to the LEC, I or CLEC, best rule of thumb is don't touch it.

By the way welcome to the board whynot, you are now officially hooked. welcome
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/19/07 07:42 AM
Will a separate customer be occupying the old location? Even though patching the current circuit to a PTP may work, it's best to have the customer address this directly with their provider. I doubt that they will approve it, but if they do (and it's provided via copper), they may require a designated rack & small patch panel be installed at the old location's demarc.

welcome aboard, whynot!!
Posted By: justbill Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/19/07 08:03 AM
One thing throwing me on your post. You say you can get them to throw in a new T1 from old to new location, but not get the old moved in time. All that's being moved is the "last mile", same CO per your post. So unless the T1 is from a "long haul" carrier there should be no difference in new and last mile. If it's from a "long haul" then yes they will order a whole new circuit. Just have my curiosity on that part of your post.
Posted By: djweis Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/21/07 02:14 PM
It's all in which part of the ILEC orders it. The good and bad part of a process is that it's consistent...
Posted By: djweis Re: Integrated T1/extension - 06/26/07 04:55 AM
Follow up - I talked with the sales engineer and he said they would need 45 days to move the circuit because "they are low on T1's". It's one of the five biggest CO's in Iowa.
Posted By: djweis Re: Integrated T1/extension - 07/04/07 04:40 AM
Just to finish this out, everything worked fine. I put a crossover cable between the two circuits at the old location and hooked the router up at the new location.

We were able to get this going before we even received a due date from Qwest to move the other line.
Posted By: justbill Re: Integrated T1/extension - 07/04/07 07:47 AM
Thanks for the follow up, glad it worked out for you.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help