atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mezzaman Extending a T-1 circuit from a Smart Jack - 04/11/10 05:53 PM
Hi guys, when extending a T-1/PRI circuit under 100 feet, should I run seperate cat5 cables for transmit and receive? If not what kind of problems may occur?
Thanx Pat
I wouldn't use Cat5 period. Search this forum on extending T1's you'll find a lot of information.
Posted By: SST Re: Extending a T-1 circuit from a Smart Jack - 04/11/10 07:27 PM
I've never seen a problem detected back to the use of cat5e on a t1.
Didn't say you couldn't use it, just said I wouldn't. Depending on length I either use two cat3's or two shielded cables made for T-1. For that distance two cat3's would be fine. Main thing don't put transmit and receive in the same sheath. T1's have been running just fine many feet from the NID long before they could spell Cat5.

EDIT: for that distance you could probably get away with the same sheath, but Cat3's cheap why risk it.
Thanks guys!
Posted By: nb402 Re: Extending a T-1 circuit from a Smart Jack - 04/12/10 02:32 PM
I recently just did a similar run. Approx 120ft, ran two seperate Cat3, one for xmit, one for receive, works like a charm! This was on a PRI.
Thanks nb402.
Pat
Posted By: CC12 Re: Extending a T-1 circuit from a Smart Jack - 05/13/10 12:20 PM
Hey all -

I need to extend a PRI from the demarc to an MC which is nearly 2000' away. There is a Cat3 house cable in place but I think the distance is far too great to use it. The house cable also has at leat on transition point where it goes from OSP to ISP as the demarc is in a different building than the MC. Any suggestions?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help