atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom Will this work ? - 09/23/10 04:58 AM
I was asked to connect up a data rack and get the T1 fired up.

Telco has DSU at demarc location and the data rack is about 150' away. 25 pair,Cat 3 is all that connects the two locations so customer has me punch down a Cat 5 cable to the last 4 pair to connect the DSU to router in rack. It come up OK and customer was happy but won't this give them errors?

I wanted to have telco move DSU to rack location or run Cat 5 cable but IT guy said this will work.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Will this work ? - 09/23/10 05:56 AM
It will probably give them errors. For a 150' run I would put in two runs of shielded cat 3 and put the transmits on one and the receives on the other.

Has the circuit been tested? (sunset, t-bred, etc.). If it hasn't and the customer doesn't care well, don't worry yourself- you've got enough on your plate right now. You advised them and they know best.

You can't win with IT guys who know everything.

Sam
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Will this work ? - 09/23/10 07:34 AM
But Sam, the T1 got to the building on Cat3 or less, in all probability. If the 25pr is a good clean cable, and the connections are all clean .....?
Posted By: jwooten Re: Will this work ? - 09/23/10 10:29 AM
I've bumped many T's this distance without issue. 200ft gets iffy and 300ft just won't sync. You'll be able loop-up the circuit though! The newer cards can be adjusted remotely for LBO and even CSU's have a LBO function.
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: Will this work ? - 09/23/10 01:25 PM
Meh, no worriers Merritt... Typically 655 ft is what the customary max. spec is from HDSL remote card to DSU/CSU.

At 150 ft, there is a possibility of needing ad optioned setting changed on the card itself to be bumped up. On Like Adtran units, 0-133 ft is the default optioning out of the box, with 133-266, 266-399, 399-533, 533-655 being other option settings.
Posted By: ILECTECH Re: Will this work ? - 09/24/10 11:21 AM
"metelcom": You won't have any trouble. Just make sure the pairs used in that 25pr cable are free of metallic faults & Hi-res opens. FYI, most Telco's are more than happy to extened the NCTE to your desired location. The problem is that 75% of the time the customer/vendor makes little to no effort to provide the necessary transmission path(conduit/duct)or grounding block(connected to the electrical/building ground)at the new location. All we usually get is a 3' by 3' backboard and you pointing and saying I want it there right next to my equipment.
Posted By: ILECTECH Re: Will this work ? - 09/24/10 11:27 AM
"CnGRacin": What you are referring to on the Adtran units is the transmit LBO setting to the CSU/CPE. The default setting from Adtran is either "External or 0-133'", which transmits the DS1 signal at full strength(0 dbsx/6vpp)toward the CPE/CSU. All other settings will pad/attenuate the pulse strength.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Will this work ? - 09/25/10 07:24 AM
Merritt it will work just fine. We've done this when we have to with no problems.
Posted By: podnuh Re: Will this work ? - 12/04/10 10:04 AM
My concern would be the location of the last telco repeater/regen. if it's fairly close to the premise, you probably won't have much of a problem. If it's a long way, adding another 150' of copper might be the straw that breaks this camel's back.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help