atcomsystems.ca/forum
Trying to figure out what two entries in my phone record mean:

FIRST:
10/09/12 18:53 ET - NPC 699 GETTING FAIL/CGA, OOF, ES,CRC'S

SECOND:
10/09/12 18:54 ET - M 18:02:02 01,00 3 UTL QRY STATE NPC 0699TYPEOOS FAIL PEST CGA OOF SLIP ER ES SES0 1 - R 008 000 CL 00020 000THRESHOLDS 255 004 3 6COMPL³DC103 IW 7F 04 LN MSG:COFA CRC6 BPV FRER--- 01518 00000 -----

Posted By: EV607797 Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 01:54 AM
Care to mention what kind of system you are using and what type of report this is? A little bit of information goes a long way.

The only thing that I see that makes any sense to me is "OOF", which in my world means 'out of frame'.
Posted By: nameless Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 03:17 AM
At a guess:

OOS - Out Of Service
CRC - Cyclic Redundancy Check
UTL - Utility
QRY - query
MSG - Message
CL - clock or clocking

Is this an ISDN Trace?
Posted By: Silversam Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 10:40 AM
BPV is bi-polar violations. Looks like one of your T-1s was having problems.

What system is this running on?
What kind of Carrier trunks do you have?
Where do they connect to?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Sam
Posted By: bf6b5yr Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 11:36 AM
Looks like a printout from some type of network element. Maybe a DACS or mux. If memory serves me correctly the NPC is the card designation that the circuit is terminated on. It looks like the circuit has failed and has generated a carrier group alarm. The circuit is showing OOF, excessive errored seconds, & Cyclic Redundancy Check problems.

Looks like the second is a response to either a manual or automatic query on the circuit NPC 0699. The query is providing details on the status of the circuit. I’m doing this from memory & it’s been a while.
Since I was a small child, I have always been fascinated by the telephone system. I can remember hanging out and begging for a tour of our town's #5 Crossbar system. Having said that, this is kinda over my head.

I have a telephone number (line?) from another state in my house. I have been told that this is a "foreign line exchange circuit" or DS0 circuit (Digital Signal Zero), whatever that means.

The line went down, and those codes were in my repair record after I reported it. Of course, I was curious what they meant.
Posted By: dexman Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 04:45 PM
CGA - Carrier Group Alarm
SES - Severely Errored Seconds
ES - Errored Seconds

As others have suggested, the T1 circuit was dropping/bouncing.

I am moving this topic to the T1 forum.
Posted By: dexman Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 05:03 PM
Topic moved here from the General forum.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/10/12 10:54 PM
A DS-1 circuit is a T-1. A DS-0 circuit is one channel on a T-1, or essentially a standard Telephone Line, being delivered over a T-1 (and probably broken out on a channel bank).

Sam
Thanks for all the insight. With this info and some Google research, let me see if I have this right:

I have a District of Columbia telephone number which rings in Virginia. My outgoing calls also appear to be originating from DC to anyone I call (caller-id).

From what y'all have said, it appears that a dedicated T1 line goes from the central office where the DC exchange is to my local central office here in Virginia.

At the local office, the T1 is divided and one channel is connected to my telephone.

The rest of the T1 bandwidth can be sold to or used by others.

Dumbed down to layperson understanding (that's me), is this the general idea?
Close enough for government work as they used to say!
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/23/12 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
Thanks for all the insight. With this info and some Google research, let me see if I have this right:
From what y'all have said, it appears that a dedicated T1 line goes from the central office where the DC exchange is to my local central office here in Virginia.
At the local office, the T1 is divided and one channel is connected to my telephone.
Dumbed down to layperson understanding (that's me), is this the general idea?

General idea is close... Yup.
There probably is NOT a dedicated T1 from the DC switcher to your serving office. Telco’s maintain inter-office T1 capacity (and higher of course) between exchanges/central-offices. Part of the process of building your FX (foreign exchange) circuit when you first ordered it, was picking the dedicated path over various channelized T1 facilities o get from A (your serving switch in DC) to your serving wire center.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 10/23/12 10:08 PM
captain .... i have to ask

is this you??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

kind of a cult hero!
I realize the OP was three months ago but I have some answers for the curious.

FIRST:
10/09/12 18:53 ET - NPC 699 GETTING FAIL/CGA, OOF, ES,CRC'S

I am not sure what equipment/device this print out would have come from but as stated above it means network port card 699 is alarming for failure, carrrier group alarm, out of frame alarm, errored seconds and cyclic redundancy check errors.

SECOND:
10/09/12 18:54 ET - M 18:02:02 01,00 3 UTL QRY STATE NPC 0699TYPEOOS FAIL PEST CGA OOF SLIP ER ES SES0 1 - R 008 000 CL 00020 000THRESHOLDS 255 004 3 6COMPL³DC103 IW 7F 04 LN MSG:COFA CRC6 BPV FRER--- 01518 00000 -----

This one looks like it came from a DACS or digital cross connect system. The language is PDS (don't remember what that stands for) and for one Tellabs 532/5320 equipment uses this language. When these messages are cut/pasted in to text files the spacing and line feed usually doesn't come with it. On the original screen or printout it probably looked something like this:

10/09/12 18:54 ET - M 18:02:02 01,00 3 UTL QRY STATE NPC 0699
TYPE OOS FAIL PEST CGA OOF SLIP ER ES SES 0
1 - R 008 000 CL 000 20 000
I am not sure all of the second line is on the proper place as some fields are skipped for some types of cards. Going from memory as I don't have my handy command reference here at home. Funny, I see these alarms every day and can't tell you the format without one in front of me. Carrier Group Alarm=Red (no frame form distant end), maybe 8 frame alarms (loss of frame time exceeded a threshold).

THRESHOLDS 255 004 3 6 COMPL
These are the thresholds for major or minor alarms that can be set for different ports. Usually left at the default. I recognize the first two as major/minor slip thresholds. I thing the next two are error rate thresholds (10-3, 10-6) but may be for OOF or LOF (frame hits)
³DC103 IW 7F 04 LN MSG:
COFA CRC6 BPV FRER
--- 01518 00000 -----

This one refers to a different T1. DC and NPC have become sort of interchangeable. I'm not even going to try to sort out the numbers on line two.

If inquiring minds want to know more, I will try to find time to look this up in the trusty command reference manual.

Captain Crunch and others, yup, you basically have it right. Any DS0 can be directed to any other DS0 in most systems through a DACS. There are as always exceptions. At some point, probably near to the Capn's home, the DS0 is converted to a telephone loop. Probably through a channel bank FXS card. Unless the Capn has some high dollar type "T1" or "DS0" phone.

Regards
The spacing didn't come out quite right on the post either.

Posted By: dexman Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 01/12/14 10:45 PM
Whoops! The OP was made over a year ago (2012). blush
Well, hell. I was born over 60 years ago. You expect me to rememeber what year it is?

Hope you enjoyed my inputs anyway.

Now, if I can just remmeber where I am supposed to go to work tomorrow...
And how to speel
Posted By: dexman Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 01/12/14 11:24 PM
Device-wise, I would guess that it came from a Tellabs product...possibly a 530 or Titan-532L DCS.

One of the commands used appears to be UTL::QRY, STATE, NPC 699 <RET>

The Titan-5500 uses TL-1 commands.
Right you are dexman. We just retired a 5500 and upgraded an on site 532 to 5320L. Still have five 532s at remote locations.

I was kind of surprised that the 5320L didn't use TL1.

Posted By: dexman Re: Can you figure out these abbreviation? - 01/13/14 02:20 AM
I think that Tellabs used TL1 for high bandwidth DCS such as the 5500. While the 532L can work with those types of circuits, it is primarily a low bandwidth DCS. I have not seen the 5320L during my years as a CO tech for an IXC/CLEC.

I wish that Tellabs didn't do away with the command builder function in the 5500. It made my job simpler.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help