atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jjimm Telnet into Norstar - 06/20/04 12:23 AM
Has anyone set up their Norstar system so that it may be accessed remotely by telnetting into the system? I have a customer I am installing a MICS and a DSL router-based network, that I would like to maintain through my PC via telnet, as opposed to modem.

I used to do this with Procomm back when I used Win 98. Is there better software, or use the same for XP?
Posted By: Z-man Re: Telnet into Norstar - 06/20/04 09:15 PM
You can setup the Remote Utilities software on a local machine and access the local machine via telnet or IP. I am not aware of the NRU software being able to do otherwise.
Posted By: jjimm Re: Telnet into Norstar - 06/25/04 07:38 PM
It's been many years since I used to dial into various systems using a dialup modem- Nortel, Lucent, Siemens, and many others. While there were some minor differences, one could use the same terminal emulation software to program all of them. Now, it seems, these major players in the industry all their own proprietary software for remote access. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks!
Posted By: Z-man Re: Telnet into Norstar - 06/26/04 08:59 AM
it is another way they all protect their products more. Most of the programms allow for remote dial in, local connect, and some even allow TCP/IP or web access.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Telnet into Norstar - 06/30/04 06:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jjimm:
It's been many years since I used to dial into various systems using a dialup modem- Nortel, Lucent, Siemens, and many others. While there were some minor differences, one could use the same terminal emulation software to program all of them. Now, it seems, these major players in the industry all their own proprietary software for remote access. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks!</font>

Welcome to the world of windows and gui's
Posted By: SST Re: Telnet into Norstar - 07/01/04 08:04 AM
Have a look at this chase IOLan. Attach to the LAN, give it an IP address, attach one of the ports to the craft serial interface of the equipment. Telnet to the given IP address and port number.........

www.kmj.com/chase/iolan.html
Posted By: Z-man Re: Telnet into Norstar - 07/01/04 10:33 PM
sounds interesting, but I think you will have issues with the proprietary software of most systems, which you will still need to make it all work. It would be neat if I could get a demo to play with for a bit. You would also need access to your customers LAN, which might be the hardest thing to get anyway.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited July 01, 2004).]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help