atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Corwyn SIP aware router - 02/08/05 09:32 AM
Prety much says it all.

Does anyone know of a model/brand of router that is SIP aware?

Corwyn
Posted By: jjimm Re: SIP aware router - 02/14/05 08:57 PM
I prefer to use Cisco hardware. Depending on your requirements, anything above a 12.1 version, such as a 7200 router would suffice for most applications.
Posted By: Corwyn Re: SIP aware router - 02/15/05 06:30 AM
Jim,

I'm afraid to ask, how much are one of those? Maybe linksys makes a cheaper version?
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: SIP aware router - 02/15/05 08:02 AM
In my experience (recent experience), Linksys and SIP don't mix. At least not yet anyway. I've had some bad experiences with newer Linksys routers. It's possible it is specific to my application, but reading some reviews on various websites, I am not alone in the troubles I had. Do your homework before buying. You usually can't go wrong buying the Cisco products. They are stable and do what they were designed to do. My recent experience shows that Linksys makes claims they can't live up to (marketing hype), and the Cisco name on the Linksys router means NOTHING in regards to quality. Also, if you have some means for Cisco support, whether direct or indirect, you will have far better results and get much more help than trying to get support from Linksys and their level 1 techs.

Okay, now I'm wondering...what do you mean by "SIP-aware"?
Posted By: jjimm Re: SIP aware router - 02/15/05 10:40 AM
Corwyn- when it comes to pricing, there is a huge diference. Corporations use routers like the 7200, which run between $15k-$20K (a little pricey for an individual or small business).

Again, it depends on the application and size of the system. For a small biz, the Allworx is ok, as you know. Any router will suffice if you have a separate SIP & A/D unit.

Send me an email if you want to discuss things offline.
Posted By: Milestone Re: SIP aware router - 02/16/05 02:59 PM
I guess it is as the man says, what are you trying to do? A lot of the providers are running proprietary routing and sometimes that is what causes the problems. We use systems which are all inclusive as in built in router, etc. For hosted systems we have used Linksys, DLink on the lower end jobs and they work fine. What is your application?

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
Posted By: uni05 Re: SIP aware router - 03/16/05 11:08 PM
Have a look here:

www.replacerouter.com

The IX67 is a "sip aware" router - specially designed for SIP
Posted By: Punch Down Re: SIP aware router - 03/16/05 11:52 PM
Corwyn what SIP switch are you wanting to use with your router? The IX67 that uni05 refers to has a SIP server built in and an optional SIP switch (PBX telephone switch), but provides no features or functionalty compared to a system such as the MP5000 by Comdial. There are other manufacturers coming to the plate with their SIP telephone systems, but I'm not aware of any providing an onboard SIP server which you refer to as "SIP aware." There is more questions than answers at the moment. If you have a SIP compliant switch with SIP server already I would recommend the WatchGuard VPN Router. It sells for about $2500 and blows smoke up any CISCO pipe you put it up against. Has built in packet sniffer, can configure for popup blocking, adaware and more standard features than any other router.
Posted By: Avidcomm Re: SIP aware router - 03/29/05 06:47 AM
I would check out Adtran. Usually 1/2 the price with similar capabilities as Cisco. Excellent support and high grade product. Cisco WIC cards were made by adtran
Posted By: aweaver Re: SIP aware router - 04/20/05 01:55 PM
Keep an eye on Kentrox. The next software release of the Q series will be SIP aware.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help