atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Telecom_Rob Cisco CCNA - 02/18/05 11:13 AM
Has anyone taken the CCNA 640-801 test? Any recommendations on what books to study? Any good web sites with practice tests?
Posted By: lundah Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/10/05 10:00 AM
I just passed the ICND test this morning. If your budget allows, I would suggest taking the 2 tests (640-821 INTRO then 640-811 ICND) instead of the one 640-801 test, unless you have a lot of Cisco networking experience. As far as study materials, Cisco Press books are great, there's 2 editions, one by Wendell Odom and one by Steve McQuerry. I like the Odom version better but used both. www.celticrover.com is a good website with LOTS of practice tests (costs $20 to access that area, well worth it). You also need 20-30 hours of hands-on practice. You can buy Boson NetSim for around $150 with a discount from the Odom books, there's also a few websites out there that will rent you time on their gear. If all else fails, check eBay for lab gear, there's lots there but be weary, some of the stuff for sale there is BOB (bad out-of box).

I'm lucky enough to work for an employer that sees the value of the field people being CCNA certified and is footing the whole bill, from test fees to study materials to a nice lab setup.
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/10/05 10:57 AM
lundah would you complete your profile to have your e-mail address showing. I have a ton of buddies in your area and curious if you know any of them. Also what's your price for the answers since they are fresh in your head [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: wanebo Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/21/05 01:48 PM
Here's another good website to check out for Cisco Certification info https://www.cciesecrets.net/

Can't take credit for this one since my son pointed it out. He has 2 racks filled with routers and switches set up in his spare bedroom. Sounds like your at the airport when he switches it all on [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: lundah Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/22/05 06:18 AM
Punch Down, my email should be in my profile already. You can also use my username @wi.rr.com. As far as answers, Celtic Rover has questions in his practice tests that are straight from the exam. I've been in the biz here for 10 years (both on the VAR and carrier side, I spent 5 years at a CLEC), so there's a good chance we have some common contacts out there.
Posted By: Punch Down Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/22/05 08:28 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lundah:
Punch Down, my email should be in my profile already. You can also use my username @wi.rr.com. As far as answers, Celtic Rover has questions in his practice tests that are straight from the exam. I've been in the biz here for 10 years (both on the VAR and carrier side, I spent 5 years at a CLEC), so there's a good chance we have some common contacts out there.</font>

you apparently don't have your e-mail enabled in your profile
Posted By: lundah Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/22/05 09:00 AM
OH yeah, you're right. Trying to keep the e-mail harvesters away from my inbox. Fixed now.
Posted By: Telecom_Rob Re: Cisco CCNA - 03/22/05 06:17 PM
Well I ended up getting the book by Todd Lammle. Seems to be pretty good so far.

I did buy the Boson sim. Very cool!

I have set the end of June as my goal to take the test. I contemplated splitting up the test, but I like the all or nothing approach. ;-)

Thank you for the links!

Rob B.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Cisco CCNA - 09/01/05 06:31 AM
Global Knowledge has some really good courses. A bit $$$$$ but everyone I've sent through them has passes.

------------------
[Linked Image from tracecarpenter.com] There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary & those who don't.
Posted By: seattle_matt Re: Cisco CCNA - 10/27/05 12:39 AM
I read so many books before taking the exam, I can't recomend a certain one...however the ones by Cisco Press are excellent. I sort of over-studied, but It helped me in the long run.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help