atcomsystems.ca/forum
My favorite is GMP. Ask me Why? I do it for a living so 200.00 is cheap.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 03/25/05 02:30 PM
The cheap Allentel one. Works well and if I loose it, I'm only out $25. Besides, we don't crimp a lot of plugs.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 03/25/05 08:17 PM
Siemens hands down.
Posted By: clgjr Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 03/25/05 08:18 PM
You guys need to check out the E-Z RJ crimper. The wires pass through the end of the connector, ands cuts when compressed. I can make twice as many cords as before. IMO the rest is simply JUNK!
I used to work at a place that provided me a GMP crimp tool. Nice tool, but it did seem to have problems lining up with the pins of some mods. Also, once you drop it on concrete, it's hard to use because one of the handles breaks off. I did like having all the dies right there in my leather case. Heavy son of a gun too, though.

I've seen the EZ's, but never used them. Can you get mods in flavors other than RJ45? How much more are the EZ mods compared to the Allentels?

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: clgjr Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 03/28/05 05:12 PM
at first you could only get rj45 but they have all now available rj-11 etc. They are a little more expensive than others but the time saved is well spent!
That's the Leviton one, right? Or does someone else make the one Leviton sells?

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
GMP has a lifetime warrantee. Well worth it since I own two of them and have droped them and broke them twice. They have repaired them at no charge. They even milled a few dies to fit some other brands of RJ45 plugs. An exspensive tool but a great company to deal with.
Posted By: clgjr Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 03/29/05 08:41 PM
I think the company that invented exrj45 got bought out by leviton!! Not sure though.
Posted By: skip555 Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 05/27/05 08:13 AM
i have a AMP but I rarely crimp 45

use store bought
Posted By: dwflood Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 05/30/05 07:47 AM
I had the GMP years ago until someone stole it. It was a nice tool, but having to change the die to switch between RJ45 and RJ11 was a pain. I replaced the GMP with the AllenTel crimper 13 years ago. Its now slightly rusty and stripper guard broke off, but it works perfectly every time.
Posted By: junkman Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 05/31/05 06:42 AM
I've got an Allentel one and a generic from rat shack, no complaints on either.
Posted By: kmurrey Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 06/13/05 06:41 PM
I have an AMP with the interchangeable crimps. Works out really well.

------------------
Keith A. Murrey
Data Voice Solutions, ltd.
Posted By: tantivy Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 06/16/05 11:40 PM
I've got two of the Ideal TeleMaster's.. they work fine..
Posted By: mgere Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 06/20/05 10:41 AM
I use an AMP 45/11 323d They are about $400.00. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: WRichey Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 06/22/05 07:42 AM
amp with rj11 rj45 and rj45 keyed, they havent failed me in 8 years I did buy a greenlee from homedepot for a tech and it crimps funny half the time it shorts the pins. So amp is my fav.
Posted By: FiberTech Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 07/29/05 06:40 AM
AMP 1-231652-0
45+14 die set, I think nothing compares to it..
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 08/23/05 05:24 AM
Ideal Telemaster. Been with me since the start of my career. There are more expensive ones, sure, but I have no complaints with it. (It beats the cheap plastic "RCA" brand crimper that Wal-Mart sells....that one of our rookies had at my last employer....)
Posted By: XConnect Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 09/23/05 07:02 AM
I used the Allentel. Just picked up the ratcheting model.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 09/23/05 02:04 PM
I use the Ideal Crimpmaster at home, it's great. I was making some cables at school with their DataShark crimper, it just doesn't cut it. Plus they had me making patch cables with solid cable (that's a topic for another thread).
Have a good weekend guys!
Jeff
Posted By: BrandonC Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 12/04/05 12:28 AM
Ideal Crimpmaster / Telemaster. I had a GMP but it was too heavy to keep on my toolbelt all day. Anyone use that new Harris Jackrapid for the Leviton Gigamax keystones? I bought one for $60 and it has been a real timesaver.
I have an Ideal Telemaster as well, but don't really use it much anymore. I try to use premade cables whenever possible.

As far as the JackRapid is concerned, I've been using mine for 6-8 months. It's gotten a bit "notchy" in terms of grip pull, but still works as well as when it was new.
Posted By: rustynails Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 02/06/06 07:33 PM
I stumbled upon a $6 generic brand at Home Depot, works like a charm.
Posted By: dcohick Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 02/08/06 01:33 PM
I have worn out one Ideal Telemaster and am well on the way with the second one. Will probably replace it with same.
Dave
Posted By: cableguy714 Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 05/19/06 03:26 PM
I got my on cyberXlink.com. It is cheap one. It crimps RJ45 only. Good enough for me.
Posted By: Stoph Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 06/14/06 03:05 PM
GMP since the late 80's. Last forever
GMP sells dies to fit their plugs, and dies to fit AMP plugs. Which would be more compatible with Allentel plugs, and more generic (who knows what purchasing buys) plugs? I know when I previously had a GMP (great tool!), we had to make sure we bought only specific plugs when we went to Graybar. If I were to buy one, would I want the one with GMP dies or AMP dies? What's the difference?

Thanks!

Justin
Posted By: hbiss Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/17/07 08:13 PM
AMP dies and make sure you always purchase AMP plugs. I believe the only one you need to worry about is the 8 pin/8 position. About the only thing "standard" with them is the width and pin location. Seems different plug manufacturers put the cable strain relief (the piece of plastic behind the pins that gets scrunched down on the cable jacket to hold it) in different places because some plugs are longer than others.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/17/07 09:32 PM
It's strange how a 2 1/2 year old post comes alive......Ideal here, also.
Posted By: Gene Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/18/07 03:51 AM
EZRJ45 it's a no brainer,a little expensive,about .59 per,but buy some boots ,and they look factory bought,The problem I see with making your own cables is ,Everyone thinks they are free,I do some sub work for a company ,and they allways somehow forget to furnish patch cables,I tend to make my own in just certain applications.
Posted By: dexman Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/18/07 05:23 AM
I purchase pre-made patch cords whenever possible, but use Ideal when making my own.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/18/07 07:20 AM
I also use an Ideal crimpmaster...when I have to make cables smile
Originally posted by KLD:
It's strange how a 2 1/2 year old post comes alive.
Yeah, that's thanks to the search tool, and because now I need one.

Originally posted by hbiss:
AMP dies and make sure you always purchase AMP plugs. I believe the only one you need to worry about is the 8 pin/8 position. About the only thing "standard" with them is the width and pin location. Seems different plug manufacturers put the cable strain relief (the piece of plastic behind the pins that gets scrunched down on the cable jacket to hold it) in different places because some plugs are longer than others.

-Hal
So the GMP dies and plugs are somewhat non-standard from everyone else?

Justin
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 10/19/07 02:04 PM
AMP plugs have a slightly different strain relief.
Jeff
Which means the GMP (my personal choice) fits everything standard out there, and requires a different die for AMP brand plugs. The GMP makes crimps as good as factory made.
So, Tommy, you're saying if I just get the one with the GMP dies, I should be okay for (mostly) everything EXCEPT AMP plugs? What brands, besides GMP-brand plugs, have you used successfully with the GMP dies?

Thanks!

Justin
Yup, except for AMP plugs, which you will destroy with the standard 8-pin die, it'll crimp most anything you get from the supply house. We currently get ICC brand, but I've used it for over 20 years now. Get the kit with the holster, 8-pin, 6-pin, and 4-pin handset.
Posted By: techie4life Re: You favorite RJ 45 Crimp tool. - 11/06/07 10:59 PM
I've gone through 2 Ideal Telemasters. I'd like to try something a bit more heavy duty someday, but these are so easy to pickup at the local Home Depot that I just keep replacing them.
Last place I worked had Genuine 3M crimp tools with changeable dies. They worked great except one guy used his sooo much it would get loose and out of alignment. At least that's what I thought until I saw him using it for a hammer. Yes, I was the working Ops Mgr and he was told to get his own tool and get it 'tonite', because he would need 1 tomorrow and there were no more available in the WHOLE company for him to use, EVER. Yes, he was upset, but he came in with his own and started treating company equipment with a little more care. It's funny how well you treat a tool when it comes out of your pocket! John C. (Not Garand)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help