atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tony3866 Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 05:30 AM
I had a working VPN for my office to my home. I just switch from cable to DSL at my home because I hate cablevision. I can't get the VPN tunnel back up. The router says I have some LAN IP form the DSL company. 192.168.1.43 But when I goto Find My IP Address it give me a public IP 71.XXX.XXX.XXX. I also connect to a sever at my office with other dervices without using a VPN and that gives me a whole diffrent address.

Can you set-up a VPD on DSL? Do I need to have the DSL company change settings on there end?
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 06:07 AM
Your WAN IP address at home changed and if you didnt reconfigure the VPN tunnels with the new address then it wont come back up. The 71. address is your WAN address and the router or firewall appliance at the office needs to be configured with the new WAN IP address for your home. I dont know how your VPN tunnels where configured but this is a good place to start. Is this a router to router VPN or do you have a software client you click on to connect?
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 06:20 AM
Also be aware you will need a static IP from your ISP. What type of router do you have?
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 06:45 AM
I understand that the ip adress will change with no static ip. I had cable and it didn't change to ofen but when it did I would just put the new public ip in. I have netgear vpn routers.
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 06:57 AM
Should just be a matter of reconfiguring the VPN tunnels with the new WAN ip address then.
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/01/09 07:12 AM
Tony...

I sent you an e-mail to the address listed in your profile.
Posted By: RobCalltrol Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/11/09 10:39 AM
Cable modem dynamic IP addresses tend to not change very often, but DSL changes constantly. I think the DSL service is managed more like dial-up service. If there's no traffic, the connection is dropped. As soon as your end makes a request, the connection is re-established, which usually results in a new IP address assignment.

The Netgear VPN can support a domain name. Newer models have built-in support for dynamic DNS services. So all you have to do is get an account from one of the ones supported (like DynDNS.org) andthe router will take care of updating the DNS host whenever the IP changes.
Posted By: Jim Cooper Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/11/09 06:12 PM
I think you may have two routers back to back. Typically the router from the DSL provider has NAT on it, wihch is why your Netgear firewall shows a 192.168.1.x address, which is a local non-routable IP.

Can you post model numbers of the hardware you have?
Posted By: MVSpeed Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/11/09 06:14 PM
I'm not sure who your provider is but Qwest charges 25.00 upfront and 5.00 per month for a single static and can be up and running inside of an hour in our area. If it is Qwest go to qwest dot net and put in your account user and password. select obtain maintain static block and follow directions. If you need a bigger block 8 with 5 usable is 50 to setup and 15 per month. For the cost of the single I wouldn't mess with chasing the address everytime it changes. Also by default every DSL I've installed has a 192.168.0.1 for a gateway with 24 bit mask. Could be your router is looking for the 192.168.1.43 address you mentioned in your post. You might open a web browser and put in the 0.1 address and see if you log into your modem
Hope this helps
Randy
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/12/09 04:33 AM
You probably need to configure your DSL modem for "Bridge" mode.
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/12/09 10:21 PM
You probably are going to have to setup some kind of port forwarding in your modem at home. It sounds like it is using NAT, so you will have to tell incoming requests coming to your house where to go once they get to your modem......in this case, your VPN device.
Posted By: PMCook Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/17/09 03:31 AM
You need to reconfigure the VPN client on your computer at home. It has to know the WAN address of your remote site. Your remote site is using NAT as is your home site in all likelihood. Let's say your LAN at work is 10.10.n.n and your home LAN is 192.168.n.n. When you wish to open a secure tunnel you use the 10.10.n.n address and your client opens the tunnel and routes between the subnets. It knows where to go because of the WAN address you assigned to that subnet. So all that needs to change is the WAN address in your VPN client. Depending on the VPN software you may have to regenerate keys.
Posted By: johnp Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/18/09 11:50 PM
I think nfcphoneman's suggestion is they way to go. If you need to do dynamic dns, it's an option in most vpn routers.
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Setting up a VPN - 05/22/09 08:51 AM
For what it's worth, I use a VPN with PPTP. It works with few exceptions (a few locations I haven't been able to log into, but most locations, I can).

What sort of protocol are you using?
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help