atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: JordonJ Netgear WNDR3300 - 10/29/09 07:41 AM
When it comes to inexpensive routers for small networks, netgear is generally my brand of choice. Well, I had a customer who called me in to assist them in setting up their network (they went and purchased the routers). I set everything up, tested, then left (this was Friday). Monday, they were down. I reset the routers and waited for an hour (of course, it worked while I was watching.) When it went down again Wednesday, some investigation was warranted. There are some PCs and several MACs on this network (some of which needed updating). At first, I thought it might be the Belkin we were using as a repeater, but everyone on it was having no problems (other than one MAC whose problem went away after I had him do a software update). So, I started looking at the Netgear WNDR3300 and looking for a firmware update (none available). While I was looking, I saw that this model has an issue with dropping network connections. I had them replace it with a WPN824 (none of them had N antennas anyways). No problems since.

Just wanted to pass this one on...
Posted By: Silversam Re: Netgear WNDR3300 - 10/30/09 07:12 AM
Thanks for letting us know. That's the kind of thing that could really ruin your day/week/month.

Sam
Posted By: Kumba Re: Netgear WNDR3300 - 10/30/09 06:20 PM
My preferential poison when it comes to small network routers is to buy a Linksys WRT54GL and then have them load DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it. They work flawless as long as they aren't in a boiler room and you have more options then you'll ever need!

But yes, I generally have lots of issues with clients with the $20 routers. Amazing how everything just works when I make them buy something that's at least SOHO grade.
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Netgear WNDR3300 - 11/09/09 07:01 PM
They have already outgrown it...I have recommended a better one, lord only knows if they will go for it, but hey, only so much I can do!
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Netgear WNDR3300 - 11/11/09 07:13 AM
If someone has outgrown DD-WRT then its time for something like Forefront/ISA if they want server-based or SonicWall for an appliance.
Posted By: p2ii Re: Netgear WNDR3300 - 11/11/09 05:58 PM
An Adtran 3448 would do the trick as well. They can be had for $4-500.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help