atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 08:59 AM
Have a customer that needs to add internet access in his garage, about 400 feet from his house. House is served with DSL from the telco. There is a buried customer owned phone drop from the house to the garage.

Instead of a wireless solution, would some sort of ethernet extender work? I found things similar to this on-line: Link

What are your experiences with this?

Thanks.
Jim
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 10:42 AM
What about HPNA devices? I have used some in the past that will work up to 2000' over a copper pair. I don't have the link to the product handy but will post once I find it.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 11:32 AM
I think there was a post in General about this a few months ago. If I remember, Black Box has all kinds of devices to send Ethernet over a single pair.
Posted By: whynot Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 11:33 AM
I may get flamed for this, but I'd try just using the copper with no extenders and see what happens. One less piece of equipment to get fried and the worst case scenario being you have to buy the extenders and just plug them in.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 12:34 PM
One pair over 400 feet?...or are there more than one pair?

400 feet is pushing (actually, OVER) the distance limit for copper Ethernet.
Posted By: allanl Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 01:17 PM
We've got a set of ruggedized Ethernet extenders using VDSL in place that extend our network just under 7000 feet over one pair in an aerial 25pr. They work great, and didn't even get blown up in this years lightning round.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/13/11 07:23 PM
Thanks Jeff. There was a thread about 'point to point on my cable' that actually was the same thing I'm looking for. Sounds like I'm on the right track, according to that other thread.

Jim
Posted By: upstateny Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/14/11 03:03 AM
Why not wireless? .... i have a customer with two buildings 1,500 feet apart .... they are cheap and went with low end D-Link directional antennas and access points.

Works like a charm.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/14/11 06:00 AM
Originally posted by upstateny:
Why not wireless? ....
I thought wireless might be more money. The buried phone cable is already in place, so I could use that. (It is cpe cable, and it's the correct direct buried cable.)
Posted By: brokeda Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/14/11 07:17 PM
Just try the copper you have and see what happens.I have Mexican grocery stores with 1000 ft plus cables and the POS and computers work fine.
Won't pass a scan but they don't care a flip.
Posted By: brokeda Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/14/11 07:18 PM
Just try the copper you have and see what happens.I have Mexican grocery stores with 1000 ft plus cables and the POS and computers work fine.
Won't pass a scan but they don't care a flip.
Posted By: rickingb Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/15/11 12:45 PM
This is what we use. It is the Black Box device that I'm sure Jeff refers to. https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/B...L%20-%20short-haul%20modem_BLA-LB300A-R3
Posted By: ffej010 Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/15/11 05:22 PM
Here is the HPNA product I was thinking about. Take a look at it.

https://www.corinex.com/index.php?p...&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=87
Posted By: los415 Re: Ethernet Extenders - 09/24/11 07:16 PM
take a look at netsys we have used these in the passed they work well.

https://www.netsys-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=NVF-200EKIT
Posted By: TheRealAndyCook Re: Ethernet Extenders - 11/28/11 07:56 AM
Originally posted by allanl:
We've got a set of ruggedized Ethernet extenders using VDSL in place that extend our network just under 7000 feet over one pair in an aerial 25pr. They work great, and didn't even get blown up in this years lightning round.
...what? I would love to know about this product you use to send a VDSL signal over 7,000ft of cable. And, you're using OSP with out carbons? smirk
Posted By: junkbox Re: Ethernet Extenders - 11/29/11 10:36 AM
Srsly.. do tell.
Posted By: IPK II Re: Ethernet Extenders - 11/29/11 06:26 PM
I am very interested as well, indeed...Also, what kind of numbers you are getting in regards to bandwidth & errors over such a distance?
Posted By: TheRealAndyCook Re: Ethernet Extenders - 11/30/11 09:33 PM
Id say below 10mb/s.
With like 30 FEC seconds/15 minute if not more.
Posted By: festec Re: Ethernet Extenders - 07/08/12 02:47 PM
a wireless bridge would work or run a fiber cable.

IBDN/CDT Certified for What's Comming Next ! :thumb:
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Ethernet Extenders - 07/11/12 08:26 PM
Did you see the date on the post just prior to yours?
Posted By: IPK II Re: Ethernet Extenders - 07/12/12 05:59 PM
See the phone booth thread "bifocals"...
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Ethernet Extenders - 07/13/12 07:10 AM
:rofl:
Posted By: allanl Re: Ethernet Extenders - 07/22/12 10:00 PM
Oops there was replies here inquiring on the equipment we're using that I totally missed! Unfortunately I can't remember the brand offhand, but if I go near the site - I'll be sure to grab it.

I'm sure it's not blazing fast, but for the webcam, weather station, and my laptop occasionally - it works great. They've been there two years and neither the units or protectors have failed, nor have I had any problems with that part of the connection.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help