atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: RonP Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 01:04 PM
I'm currently installing a small NEC DSX phone system within the city limits of Buffalo for a restaurant. This location will have a cable modem (located in the basement) to be used for credit card transactions. The owner asked me if there was a way he could tap into the internet at his apartment, which is about 600' away. The only line of sight is up on the roof of this 3 story building. The restaurant is surrounded by similar 3 story buildings. Is there a weatherproof WAP that can be put up there? Is there one with sufficient power that can be placed on the first floor of the restaurant as this would make running a cable much easier.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 01:34 PM
Take a look at EnGenius stuff. They have some nice products.
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 02:57 PM
First floor is not going to be an option but if you have line of sight then a couple of these https://www.engeniustech.com/index....ccess-points-client-bridges/3381-eoa3630 with some directional antennas will do the trick.
Posted By: RonP Re: Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 05:15 PM
Yea, I didn't think a first floor option would be a no go. I'll check out Engenius further. Sounds like it would work, but would it be cost effective for the customer? We'll see
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 07:16 PM
Our pair of outdoor ubnt's radiate across the road, across the river into town and the employee can get 3 bars signal :-) It's probably 1500 feet.

PM link sent.

Carl
Posted By: allanl Re: Another WAP situation - 09/27/11 08:53 PM
I also recommend the UBNT WAPs, I've gotten signal on my iPhone from them at 3000-3500 feet away!
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Another WAP situation - 09/28/11 07:33 AM
Here's a little help.... https://www.ubnt.com/picostation

Carl
Posted By: RonP Re: Another WAP situation - 09/28/11 12:53 PM
Got it. I'll run it by the customer and see what he thinks
Posted By: Z-man Re: Another WAP situation - 09/29/11 08:03 PM
either the picostation or the Engenious wireless bridge..
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Another WAP situation - 09/30/11 06:52 PM
https://www.ubnt.com/picostation

Wow, "1000 miliwatts" !!!

That's almost a whole watt !!!
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Another WAP situation - 10/01/11 07:20 PM
If credit card transactions are happening on the wired network, for security reasons, I would be hesitant to allow a wireless network to connect to the wired network. It doesn't break PCI regulations (AFAIK), as long as you encrypt the network with WPA2, and use other security features. However, I wouldn't want anything to fall back on me if the network got hacked somehow.

I'd tell the business owner to get a separate residential internet connection at his home. These days internet access is pretty cheap and comes in various forms.
Posted By: RonP Re: Another WAP situation - 10/04/11 11:19 AM
Good point Hawk. Customer already has internet access at apartment, but is looking to save a buck.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help