atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: END Wireless Access Point Question - 10/06/13 04:46 PM
I’m looking for a solution to solve problem - 30 year old burial cable between two buildings that supported voice/data and paging finally failed last week. The cable pairs would no longer support data last year, so the customer installed two EnGenius ENH202 outdoor 802.11n Wireless Access Point (WAP) for the LAN.

The phone system has digital phones with analog COs and will not support IP.

My question: Has anyone installed a wireless WAP and shared it with voice?

I have looked at AudioCodes Access Gateway MP-112 and MP-114 products, but I'm unsure if this will work.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Meyery2k Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/06/13 05:57 PM
We have done something very similar for a car dealership and another business that acquired a building across a public roadway. The PBX could support IP phones for the users and we used Multi-Tech VoIP adapters to extend dial tone to support fax and PA. It worked great for them.

I guess the trick for you is getting phones for the users on the remote end. I suppose you could "old school" it and install a small key system at the remote node and then emulate OPX with the VoIP gateways.

Bandwidth needed per call is minimal and, as long as the wireless is installed correctly and working well, this should be a perfectly viable option.

In case you are curious we have installed 2 sites using Proxim Tsunami wireless bridges and the appropriate Multi-Tech VoIP adapters. Equipment worked well but, until we had a clear grasp of the dial plan on the Multi-Tech, it was a bit of a challenge. We would overthink it. The Proxim was pretty much plug and play. ~ Mike
Posted By: END Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/06/13 07:50 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

After reading your reply, I should have rephrased my question.

Can this wireless bridge support analog dial tone? (current PBX does have SLT capabilities)

Walt
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/06/13 07:52 PM
How long is the cable and what does it cross? Why can't it be replaced?

-Hal
Posted By: END Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/06/13 11:18 PM
Too make along story short cost:
• Customer didn’t want to tear up their parking lot (350’ burial cable)
• Arial cable (450’) requires two telephone poles and route on perimeter of parking lot.
Posted By: Meyery2k Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/07/13 05:46 PM
You will need some type of VoIP -> Analog gateway. We have had great success with Multitech. There are different options to fulfill just about any request. You will need a gateway on both sides. FXO ports on the PBX side to accept your SLT analog dial tone and FXS ports on the remote side to feed analog dialtone to the devices. There are other manufacturers of this type of equipment but we have had good luck with Multitech so I push them.

We have actually done this at 2 different sites and, once set up, it has worked flawlessly. This was over wireless bridges.

At the dealership we are supporting fax machines and paging at the remote site with this solution. ~ Mike
Posted By: END Re: Wireless Access Point Question - 10/08/13 09:03 PM
Mike,

Were going to order the equipment and give it a stress test.
I'll keep you updated as this project move forward

Thanks again for your support!
Walt
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help