atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: smatting Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 - 09/20/04 03:13 PM
Has anybody tried using Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 running in cached mode? I can't make it work, just wondering if anybody else has run into this.

Thanks,
scott
Known issue...will not work in cached mode. Also will not work with work stations running default XP personal firewall. Per design.
Also noticed you requested this info on several baords. Curious or marketing ferret???????
Posted By: smatting Re: Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 - 09/20/04 09:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RATHER BE FISHING:
Also noticed you requested this info on several baords. Curious or marketing ferret???????</font>

A little bit of both. Have run into the issue on a large install and was curious as to how other vendors are handling this issue. If I have to tell the customer that it is not going to work, I would like to also tell them that nobody else has made it work, know what I mean? Mainly want to know if any of the other manufacturers have developed their apps to work with cached mode. Do you know of anybody who has?

[This message has been edited by smatting (edited September 20, 2004).]
The purpose of running cache mode is to set up spam filtering. I don't know any UM that supports junk mail filters... I know KVT does not.
Posted By: smatting Re: Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 - 09/21/04 08:55 AM
Actually, the cached mode is not for spam filtering. When running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 spam rules are server based. It keeps a local copy of the user's mailbox and is very usefull for mobile users or users with low bandwidth connections.
I am sure there are several reasons to run in cached mode. The sites that I have experienced this are using this mode to facilitate spam filtering at sites that do have low bandwidth infrastructure. Regardless of purpose UM won't work in cached mode.
Posted By: ktekle Re: Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 - 01/07/05 05:53 PM
In order for UM to work with Outlook 2003 period, you must upgrade to Modular Messaging. And yes, MM does work with cached mode. I am running Outlook with MM and Outlook is in cached mode. Also, cached mode serves basically 2 purposes-1) advanced spam filtering services (hence the junk email folder now part of the mailbox), and 2)reduces network bandwidth. You can find many, many articles on how to fully utilize the new email spam filtering and the benefits of reduced network bandwidth.
Posted By: smatting Re: Unified Messaging with Outlook 2003 - 02/11/05 08:15 PM
Never hear of Modular Messaging, can you tell me more?
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help