atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: roni Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 05:57 AM
I am using a comdial DXP. When our phones lines are full, and a user goes to pick up the phone to dial out, instead of getting a busy signal, he gets an incoming call, or picks up in the middle of an existing conversation. It is like it does not distinguish between an available line, and one already in use. What can I check to troubleshoot?
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 06:16 AM
In order to pickup an existing conversation you would have to have Privacy release turned off. By default it is on, so at some point some one wanted that feature. That being said, it wouldnt just break into a call when you are using idle line pickup. What type of lines are you using? Picking up an incoming call (Glare) is always a possibility if you pickup a line at the same moment a call is coming in. if the call had been ringing then you users shouldn't have picked up that call unless they are setup to ring and answer that call. You could turn off ringing line preference to test that. Is your system setup to pick an idle line when you go off hook, or do you need to dial 9 or press a button?

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited April 20, 2005).]
Posted By: roni Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 07:03 AM
We have both conditions where the user can pick up and dialout (management) and the regular joe users who much dial 9. The problem occurs on both. I have not been able to reproduce the problem, so I am relying on the users ability to describe what is happening, so they may be confused, but multiple people are telling me that they will press nine to dial out and hear no tone. This will prompt them to say "Hello?". A confused dialer on the other end responds with, "Is this RCI?". So it is not even going to the receptionist first.
I have gone through many settings and the only thing I did find was that line 8 (recently added)was not programmed completely. Could it be that the first seven lines were occupied, and then someone would call in on line 8 and the system would not know what to do with it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OhioTelecom:
In order to pickup an existing conversation you would have to have Privacy release turned off. By default it is on, so at some point some one wanted that feature. That being said, it wouldnt just break into a call when you are using idle line pickup. What type of lines are you using? Picking up an incoming call (Glare) is always a possibility if you pickup a line at the same moment a call is coming in. if the call had been ringing then you users shouldn't have picked up that call unless they are setup to ring and answer that call. You could turn off ringing line preference to test that. Is your system setup to pick an idle line when you go off hook, or do you need to dial 9 or press a button?

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited April 20, 2005).]
</font>
Posted By: OhioTelecom Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 11:55 AM
Was this an issue prior to line 8 being installed? If not I would say start there, figure out in programming whats different. Hard to give you advise at this point not knowing all the details.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 12:32 PM
Also, as you probably know from your network experience, you can't (usually) rely on end user descriptions of the problem. The first rule of troubleshooting anything is to figure out how to reproduce the trouble. Once you've accomplished that, it shouldn't be to hard to isolate the cause.
You should also complete your profile with an email address and the web address of your company.
mark

------------------
Reliable Telephone Service
Posted By: roni Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 04:13 PM
A lot of things happened during that time. We moved to a new location, (the switch was disconnected fro the previous location and hooked up at the new one), we changed carriers, and added the line. But, I am fairly certain that unprogrammed line 8 was it. Tomorrow will tell. Thanks so much for your response.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OhioTelecom:
Was this an issue prior to line 8 being installed? If not I would say start there, figure out in programming whats different. Hard to give you advise at this point not knowing all the details. </font>
Posted By: roni Re: Idle line preference? not working - 04/20/05 04:14 PM
I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by markk:
Also, as you probably know from your network experience, you can't (usually) rely on end user descriptions of the problem. The first rule of troubleshooting anything is to figure out how to reproduce the trouble. Once you've accomplished that, it shouldn't be to hard to isolate the cause.
You should also complete your profile with an email address and the web address of your company.
mark

</font>
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help