atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: VA Tele-Tek Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 07:59 AM
I recently installed a Wheelock self amplified paging horn in a warehouse of a machine shop. I returned the other day with a loud ringer to be installed in a back office where the user could not hear his phone ringing. I first hooked this device up (Wheelock AT-2) directly to an analog port (152) and rang the port. Nothing Happened. The only Audible sound I got was when I first plugged in the modular connection to the device and it was a short wimpy tone. The volume was all the way up on the device and the customer expained that even if I did get this thing working, the tone would be too silent. He now wants to go with another self amplified horn in this back office. He has already asked if I can address a Noise/Buzz issue on the first horn I put in. He wanted it cranked up all the way but complains of the buzz sound over the horn when not in use. My dilema is, Im reluctant to put in another self amplified horn in this back office due to the fact that there will be more unwanted noise when not paging. Do I have this thing hooked up right? Should I change my gameplan and advise him to get an amplifier to eliminate the feedback. Will another self amplified horn be able to be used on the ext page port or would I assign it to the loud bell contact? Everytime I come across Paging on any system, I dont know why, mad I just want to run. Help. Thanks In Advance.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 09:26 AM
VA:

1. All Valcom or any self-amplified horn will have a buzz or a hum when it is not on. From what we have done---that's always the case. When the horn is up 15-20 ft, you don't hear it---but if it's very close to someone (5-10 ft) then they probably can hear it. If it is located in someones office--it might be very distracting. Get a small amplifier (no bigger than 6 watts) like a Bogen GA-6A or something like that. With only two horns--you can get by with a 1-2 watt amp, but the 6As are plentiful and realitively inexpensive. Get 70V horns to hook up or even some small 8 ohm ones.

2. We have used "The Boss" ringer NTL-600E. When it is plugged into its power supply--it gives off about 110-115 dbs--that's like chain-saw noise, I think. It is a really good ringer. Of course you can turn it down and change sounds. Hook it up to a single line port.

3. I have never done this with a DX-80....but I'm thinking that it should work the same. I have done it tons of times with Nortel stuff. Theory should be the same for both.

Paging, loud bells, and ringers etc. can be frustrating. Once you get products and a "system" down---it becomes a lot easier--and actually fun.

If you want some links to purchase some equipment--e-mail me. Good Luck.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 10:03 AM
The humming you are picking up is likely due to induced AC inerference. Go to Radio Shack and pick a variety of different non-polarized capacitors (axial type) and experiment with connecting one across tip and ring of the speaker cable until you find the one that cancels the hum best.
Posted By: VA Tele-Tek Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I just left the Bogen site and was looking at the GA6A. Nice small amp and seems perfect for the job. Im still not sure what Im gonna do yet but Im favoring just adding the other self amplified horn in that back office and putting it up in the cieling to reduce him hearing the noise. If it is still going on maybe stuffing the thing with some foam or something. Ill also aim the horn in the warehouse up a little bit. Ill also try the non-polarized capacitors if time allows.I would spend as much time tring to get this thing right but it seems when I think they are all satisfied they gripe about something different.
Posted By: MARK3906 Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 05:40 PM
Here is the problems with most afterthought paging installs. The customer just wants A SPEAKER. The customer needs a paging system. Not enought of the right kind of speakers turned up too loud will cause the paging to be too lound up close and not loud enough in other area. When you have the single paging speaker turned up really loud you will get noise. Take a really good look at what you are trying to accomplish. Go back to the Bogen site and see if you can find a configurator or design guide. They are in the Bogen catalog if you can get one of those. I take this attitude about installing paging. If you don't want it installed acording to the manufacturer's specs, you'll have to get someone else to do it. You will always have problems with this customer if you don't do it right the first time. This might not have anything to do with your situation. But you said every time you run into paging, you have problems. Here are some things to avoid:
1. Not enough speakers to do the job properly.
2. Horns installed too high and too far apart.
3. Wrong size amplified horn (5 watt where a 15 watt should be).
4. Using the wrong kind of wire (amplified you can use CAT3/CAT5 - 70 volt you will need proper speaker wire, prefereably shielded).
5. Not enough power on your paging amp (long runs can require more power).
6. Someone bought an 8 ohm speaker at Radio Shack and installed God knows where and now the circuit breaker keeps blowing.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: KLD Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 06:58 PM
Well said, Mark.

Also, Viking makes combo units that will "ring" over the speaker.

Paging is just like the kids music, get more speakers so you can be louder without distortion.

Just my two dracma.

KLD wink
Posted By: VA Tele-Tek Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 07:19 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. MarK, I appreciate all the advice. I couldnt agree more. Im not a Paging guru but am always looking to learn more. Thanks for the info. Im going to give the customer the options of getting an amp or just going with the extra Self amplified horn. Ill be able to adjust the volume low in the new space and hopefully they wont have as much feedback as in the warehouse. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/26/06 07:56 PM
VA, for the back office loud ring; is he going to want to hear the CO line(s) ring or his intercom extension or both? It matters.

Mark
Posted By: VA Tele-Tek Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/27/06 04:28 AM
He preferably would have wanted his intercom extension to ring. I assigned him an analog extension along with his normal digital one. I put them both in a UCD group and stll couldnt get the ringer to sound. I even hooked the thing staight to a co line, bypassing the system, and could only get the ringer to chirp. By this time, he wanted another horn back there so he could just page the area and tell the user he has a phone call, is wanted somewhere, etc. He also called the ringer wimpy. Hehe. The customer is a buddy of mines, father-in-law. I just want to make him happy with the phone system he just bought without dodging his extra wants. Its seems that I am wasting alot of time at this point. I defitnetly will be testing the next system in the shop with all the hardware before I bring it out to the customer site.( I get frustrated standing there scratching my head in front of the customer) Although paging systems are tricky for be most of the time, I am really eagar to learn the ins and outs of any hardware that can be added to a system. Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/27/06 05:46 AM
Sounds like that ringer is bad if it won't ring straight off the CO line.

To ring when the ext. is called, you can take the talk path leads for the Amplified speaker and tap onto the speaker wires in the phone. Put a toggle switch on one wire to turn off the loud speaker if he wants to use the speakerphone. I have done this many times.
Mark
Posted By: jwooten Re: Dx80 Paging - 02/27/06 04:15 PM
Don't think you have enough ring voltage for the device to fire!!
As to humming or buzzing, Ed is right but it's probably coming from the DC power via the AC side. The filtered power supplies cost more but well worth it.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help