atcomsystems.ca/forum
DSU 0408 Software Rev.20 using Impact LCD phones

[---- SKIP THIS HISTORY IF YOU WISH -----]
A Dr.'s office gave me a comdial DSU0408 with 6 impact LCD phones. I found the manuals online and managed to install the unit in an afternoon. I built an interface cable from the unit's serial port "A" unit to a computer and used Hyperterminal to program the phone system to my needs. It was an instant hit at the office comapred to what it replaced... a "Nynex" phone system for which we had only 3 phones. The best thing is the clarity on this comdial, I guess I didn't realize the crappiness of our old phone system. Also, I promptly purchased off ebay a two port ATI-D unit. Got that installed, works good for our cordless phone and outgoing faxing. Software is Rev.20 something.
[---- END SKIPPABLE HISTORY -------------]

Our old phone system had caller ID, this one doesn't. I'm not going to pay hundreds for a caller ID interface.

1. I think I have learned that the comdial DSU accepts the caller id data into it's Serial Port "B" interface then from there handles distributing it to the extensions.

2. I have various external computer modems that can output caller ID data from their serial port every time the phone rings.

3. I am confident the comdial wants the data stream in some proprietry format and not anything a modem is going to spit out.

4. I think I can use the modem to get the caller ID into a computer near the DSU and then I can have the computer spit the data out another serial port to the DSU in whatever format I wish.

[***** MY ACTUAL QUESTION *****]
I want to know what the comdial requires for caller ID data. In other words, what it's data stream format should look like.
[***** END QUESTION *****]

Is there a reason this wouldn't work? I have a Windows 2003 server sitting next to the DSU anyhow, no biggie to make it juggle some CID data huh?

Much Appreciated!
PM Sent
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help