atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: kittencharm43 Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 08/05/10 07:53 AM
I don't know where else to turn. Hopefully someone can help. Our phone system, Comdial, loses all calls every day twice a day. Originally every day at 2:29pm, anyone who was on a phone call, would lose the call. You call the person back only to lose the call again at 2:31pm. We have a fractional T-1. I have had two "vendor meets" with no luck. Our phone vendor have replaced our sync board and two other digital boards. One Comm have replaced the T-1. Still lost calls twice every day. As of yesterday, One Comm was updating the firmware to the T-1. If that doesn't fix it, they are going to completely refig the T-1. If that doesn't fix it, then its back to a phone system problem. Our phone system is on it own UPS. Every tech I've spoken to says they've never seen anything like this before. Strangely enough, our lost calls have moved up to 2:27pm and 2:30pm every day. Please help. This situation has been going on since October of last year!!! Thanks in advance.
Hey Kittencharm43...welcome to the board. Have your vendor pull the staus logs on the Comdial system. That will tell what the T1 circuit is seeing. Also if they are an authorized Comdial dealer they can get Vertical tech support to look at the Blackbox to determine the source of your disconnects.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 08/05/10 01:03 PM
What kind of Comdial phone system do you have??

If this is a Frac T-1---is it the package that has 4 or 5 lines and Internet service on that T-1?? If your internet is coming across on that Frac T-1, is the internet going down too at that time? Or just the voice lines??

Were there technicians there at 2:29/2:31pm when the lines went down?? What did they say?? Besides "I've never seen this before."
Posted By: jab1780 Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 08/05/10 01:31 PM
We had a system that did the same thing. Turned out the fancy UPS that the data Vendor installed went through clean up and power cycled, causing the phone system to reset.

Are you just dropping calls or is the system going down?
Thanks for the welcome RATHER BE FISHING. I will pass along your info to my phone vendor to see what he says and I'll let you know. I just can't believe this has been going on as long as it has. Thanks again for any help you can provide. I'll keep you posted.
In response to JWRacedog (btw... I love ur T-shirt... too funny) We have a Comdial Impact DXP. We do have a fractional T-1 which includes our internet service. The internet DOES NOT go down when we lose calls every day. At the vendor meets, the line provider indicates, when the T-1 is isolated it does not lose any calls and no errors. Which then points to the phone system. I was told by a line provider tech that its the back end of the T-1 and the front end of the phone system... which provides me with no solution.

In response to jab1780, the phone system was not originally on its own UPS but was placed on its own UPS recently and we are still losing calls. We are just losing calls. Most of the time, you're talking away, the light is still lite up, the number still shows on the display and nobody is there.

Again, this happens every day, twice a day with 2 mins inbetween lost calls. It originally began happening at 2:29/2:31. It currently now happens at 2:26/2:28. Somehow its moved up three minutes. ??

Thanks to all for your responses. Let me know if you can think of anything else.
kittencharm43,I had the same problem every day in a motel. Fortunately, the problem was rectified before they opened. In my case, it was AT&T doing a loop up-loop down every day at 4pm. Apparently, it was some sort of stability/recovery test that someone forgot to turn off. I was friends with the T1 C.O. tech (among his several hats) and he came out to the NID and plugged in at 3:50pm, because he thought I was doing it. As soon as it happened he admitted coming from, OR THRU, the C.O. Took him 2 days to track it down, and 'suddenly' it stopped. "NTF" smile John C. (Check out MY shirt!)[The illegible words are 'to your kids']
Posted By: jwooten Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 08/11/10 05:23 AM
The fact this problem is so predictable is amazing. Do as RBF suggested, also jack into your router or IAD to view any additional faults or errors.
I'm back!!!! There was no solution to this problem after many calls and visits by OneComm and our phone vendor. On 10/11/2010 we had no phones or internet all afternoon. The next day 10/12/2010 we had no more lost calls. ?? I contacted OneComm and said tell me exactly who did what because the lost calls are now fixed. I was told AT&T had a power failure and the fuse was replaced, replaced the CEV (?), because the fuse had blown. (?) Well, ITS BEEN JUST OVER A YEAR WITH NO LOST CALLS and as of 11/14/2011 (last Monday), the problem has returned. Once again, we lose all calls at 2:32 and 2:34. OneComm (now Earthlink) has started this whole process over again. A tech from AT&T was here today and told me to watch my smartjack. I saw no red lights when I lost the calls, all stayed green. AT&T tech indicated if no red lights, its on Earthlink. At least this time around, I told Earthlink we won't be paying their bill until its resolved. I need some serious help here. I can't take starting this protocol all over again only to tell me its my phone system, when that isn't it. I'm not in contract with anyone, why can't I just switch phone vendors?? Is it possible the situation would go away?? Very frustrating. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
KC43 have your vendor pull the status logs- They will show that your T1 is dropping consistently at the times you report. Hand that to your Earthlink rep and tell them fix it or you'll get a new line provider as your customer premise equipment has been replaced and the problem is still occuring.
REB, thanks for your response again. Unfortunately, my phone guy sold his business so now I have to find another local Comdial dealer and start all over again. Any suggestions in the Columbus / Pickerington (Ohio) area would be appreciated. Like you said, I will request they pull the status logs during the bewitching time. From my notes and recollection, at the vendor meet in Aug of 2010, my phone guy was hooked up to the phone system and he showed no errors. My notes next indicate them "trying a different signaling type".

In the meantime, Earthlink was just here. He isolated the T1 and it DID NOT drop any calls during the bewitching time. His personal guess is that our older Comdial phone system has errors accumulating and can't clear itself out because it doesn't have an error buffer. So once again, they blame my phone system. Have you heard of this before? He believes it is also possible that it loses calls at 2:30 AM as well as PM. How could our phone system accumulate a year's worth of errors before reacting again?? If that is the case, how is it possible that our phone system cleared all its supposed errors when AT&T had a power failure (we had power, just no phones and no internet)? Is it possible for me to easily perform a "hard reset" to my phone system (other than throwing it out the window)? Hopefully a fresh pair of Comdial eyes can help resolve this unbelievable situation. Any suggestions welcome.
Describe the phone system to us...by replacing the synch board I can tell it's either a DXP, DXP Plus, FX, or MP5000 series. From that I can tell you what you need to do to accomplish this.
Posted By: dtcd21 Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 11/24/11 06:24 PM
dxp she said earlier ^_^
Must read THOROUGHLY he said to self.. :rofl:
Posted By: dtcd21 Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 11/25/11 04:16 AM
smile

doesnt really sound like the system though if it's pinpoint specific times of the day that it happens consistently....phone system issue would rear its head much more imo hard to say for sure over the net though haha.
Agree...wanted her tech to pull the status logs showing yellow alarms for the T1 and times to provide to carrier. Phone systems don't heal themselves but carriers are quick to blame them and yet can't explain how the circuit mysteriously quits dropping.
Thanks REB and dtcd for your responses. I have a new Comdial tech coming Thurs afternoon to get me the status logs. We will be switching to AT&T with no contract in a few days. Hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of this situation and save some money in the meantime. I refuse to believe its our phone system. Can't wait to get someone from AT&T in the hotseat. Still losing calls every day at 2:32 and 2:34. Absolutely maddening. Thanks, will keep you posted.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 11/28/11 07:32 PM
Dumb question, but I assume the correct sync jumper is installed to correspond to the slot that the T1 card is at in the DXP. Sometimes it will work intermittently without it but I can't say I've ever seen it die a a certain time of day with the jumper removed.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 11/28/11 07:33 PM
Almost sounds like a DHCP lease failure (every 24 hours) on some piece of equipment in the CO.
So, I had my new phone tech show up last Thurs to get me my status logs and check things out on my phone system. Several hours later, he tells me he thinks he fixed my phone system. ?? What? You’re kidding, right? Apparently, the time on our phone system was 12 hours off. He explained that older phone systems (correction from previous entry – Comdial FXii) such as mine automatically reset themselves every night to clear out any errors and such. First of all, I have never had the pleasure of changing the time on our phone system. This was always taken care of by the receptionist. When our receptionist left, the boss’ wife took over her responsibilities (somewhat). So when daylight savings time rolled around in Oct of 2009, the boss’ wife changed the time but did not enter it in military time, which began my lost call journey. This problem lasted an entire year with many, many visits from our phone vendor, vendor meets and countless telephone conversations, not to mention time consumed by just being on a phone call to verify whether or not the problem still existed. Last Oct, 2010, “wifey” must have changed the time during the morning hours so military time would not have been an issue. And poof, no more hang up calls. This coincidentally occurred around the same time AT&T had their power failure. I assumed it was their power failure that fixed our phone system. Nope. So when the phone gremlins showed back up again last month, I was absolutely beside myself. Finding out that it was the boss’ wife sabotaging my phone system because she cannot follow proper instructions just about sent me over the edge. You would have thought as many “phone people” I have been in contact with and that have looked at my phone, someone would be able to figure out to check the time??? I had to eat crow and let Earthlink know it was in fact our phone system causing the problem. Well, all I can say is now I have to add “changing day light saving time to the phone system” to my already overloaded list of responsibilities since it obviously confuses “wifey”. At least the good news I know what was causing the lost calls and it has been fixed; and I didn’t go to jail for shooting the boss’ wife.

I’m curious to see if any of you Comdial techs have ever heard of older phone systems resetting themselves every night?? My new tech said you won’t find it in a manual, its just common knowledge for “techs who have been doing this as long as I have”.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 12/08/11 04:56 PM
I know of plenty of voice mail systems that do this, but I'm not familiar with any phone systems that do it.
False. False. And more false. If that were true they would never be installed in Police departments, hospitals and 911 centers. Also the status logs would show a system restart every 24 hours. You would see "No Communications" in your display when your calls dropped.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 12/09/11 04:22 AM
Originally posted by RATHER BE FISHING:
False. False. And more false. If that were true they would never be installed in Police departments, hospitals and 911 centers. Also the status logs would show a system restart every 24 hours. You would see "No Communications" in your display when your calls dropped.
"My new tech said you won’t find it in a manual, its just common knowledge for “techs who have been doing this as long as I have”

Thanks for throwing the BS flag! :thumb:
I do have a printed set of my status logs. If anyone wants a gander at them, provide me with your email. Keep in mind the software on my phone system is from at least 1999 or before. When we lose calls, the phone system acts as tho you're still on the call. The line your on is still lite and the person's phone number is still displayed, you're just not talking to anybody anymore. I don't know if its the phone system or the voicemail mail system that is causing a "disconnect" twice at 2:30am. But the display does not say "No Communications" during this time period. It doesn't seem that its "restarting" itself, it "resets" itself or clears itself out. Whether that's BS or not, all I know is that since he corrected the time on the phone system, we are no longer experiencing lost calls during our business afternoon anymore. I don't really give a hoot what it does at 2:30am. I agree, no police dept, hospital or 911 center would ever own such an old piece of equipment.
It's not the age of the equipment that RBF was referring to when stating that pd's, hospitals, and 911 centers would never own such a system. The system you have is a good system, although your experiences would lead you to believe differently. What RBF was referring to was the fact that, if a system regularly rebooted at night, sites that run 24/7 would be screaming for a different solution, and yet there are many FXII's and other similar Comdial systems in these types of sites.

Justin
Posted By: Stoph Re: Lost Calls Twice Every Day Same Time - 12/14/11 02:28 PM
"My new tech said you won’t find it in a manual, its just common knowledge for “techs who have been doing this as long as I have”

This gave me a chuckle. Thanks for ending my day on a high note. We've serviced Comdial since 1988 and never heard that one before!! guesss I've never been enlightened to the "common knowledge"
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help