atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dwflood Interchange UM configuration - 08/30/11 10:02 AM
I'm out at an existing customer who reported they're not getting vm messages emailed to users anymore.

I found out they switched hosted email providers. I have changed the Outgoing Mail/Host Name in all the mailboxes, but the ready folder is still collecting files and no emails going out.

Where do you configure the SMTP account for the Interchange server? There has to be more than just what's in the user mailboxes. ?

Interchange 12.1

[Edited to correct spelling in Subject, for search purposes. Justin]
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/01/11 01:56 PM
The new hosted exchange server requires authentication, no SSL, standard SMTP ports of 110 and 25.

Customers email host administrator created a new email account and password the Interchange is supposed to use in order to send email to the users.

For the life of me I cannot figure out where to configure this in the Interchange.

Its a Windows 7 box and there is no default mail program such as Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

Could the previous exchange server possibly been accepting un-authenticated emails from the Interchange? Seems unlikely, especially for a hosted service on the web but I don't see anywhere that this system was configured with an email account.
Posted By: TechSERVE Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/01/11 02:02 PM
Try this....clear the ready folder out. Sometimes it gets corrupt data and stops processing files. Clear the file out, reboot and give it a try. Just a suggestion. Let me know if that works for you.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/01/11 02:18 PM
I tried that.

The issue is the email host requires authentication. They have created a new email account the Interchange must use to send email for example, '[email protected]'. I haven't been able to figure out where to configure this in the voicemail server.
Posted By: TechSERVE Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/01/11 02:30 PM
Ok, I understand now. It has been a while but I dont really remember there being any other configurations required outside of the users box. If I remember correctly there were two specific areas within the user's mailbox to set this up and it was tricky if you didnt know it. Sorry I couldnt be of more help without having it in front of me.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/01/11 04:23 PM
Did you go into both both sections of the individual boxes? The message delivery as well as the account tabs? I had to change the PC name in system control panel to match the name on the account that is sent to the hosted Exchange. In your example the the PC name would be "voicemail". Any email it sent out would then reflect [email protected] if your SMTP settings are correct.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/02/11 09:02 AM
The mailboxes are setup correctly. The PC name is 'voicemail'.

The host is rejecting the emails because the sender (Interchange) is sending them unauthenticated. There has to be somewhere in the UM configuration for SMTP settings, where I input '[email protected]' and its associated password.

As an experiement I installed Windows Mail, setup the account and can send/receive email no problem from Windows Mail.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/03/11 10:07 AM
Isn't there a "testSMTP" utility on the machine? There used to be on the older versions of Interchange. That might help with troubleshooting.

Justin
Posted By: Zuet Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/09/11 05:32 PM
Navigate to c:\vm and right click on c:\vmservice.exe. Check the file version. It should be 12.1.6086.xx. If .xx greater than.05, try adding the following to the vm.cfg

smshost email address = [email protected] (or whatever your ISP expected name@domain is). Spaces are optional and better if not used.
Reboot. If the system doesn't come up, the version is wrong. No help. If it starts,. see if the ISP aceepts it. Sorry .. no option for password (I would think each mailbox would have its own credentails... not the VM itself).
Posted By: Big Grover Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/15/11 11:41 AM
Anyone have any luck with this? I tried Zuet's suggestion (using version 12.1.6086.1), but Interchange doesn't like the syntax. Voicemail quits working entirely, and I receive an error in the error.log file ("error 2 encountered during initialization").

I have the same situation; externally hosted email that requires a specific "sender" email address.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/17/11 09:00 AM
I tried it, and the vm wouldn't run either. Had to apply a patch (new vmservice.exe). However it doesn't seem to be relevant. Isn't SMS related to text messaging and cell phones? Regardless, it won't work as there is nowhere to configure the password.

I had someone recommend I setup an SMTP server right on the voicemail and use it to send emails out, something like https://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

I'll try this and post the results next week...
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/17/11 10:52 AM
In Keyvoice terminology, SMS is the acronym they use for Single Message Store, as opposed to DMS (Dual Message Store).

Justin
Posted By: Zuet Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/20/11 04:32 PM
Sorry it didn't work.. Was just a guess...
My understanding is that if the vm.cfg option is not recognized by your version, it will exit on boot. The version info should have been 12.1.6086.05 or greater (the .05 part). If you got the patch, did your get the ready service patch too? (I don't recall if that is required or not, but it should stop the ready folder from backing up if you pull the NIC cable on the machine or have bad email addresses in your MB configuration)

++++Examples of VM.CFG option.+++++++++

sms host friendly name = Voicemail (the friendly from name)
smshost email address = [email protected]
(actual email sender)

But Hey! what do I know smile
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/21/11 04:06 PM
I installed an SMTP server on the voicemail PC, set to not require authentication. It works just fine via 'testSMTP' but still not working when you leave someone a voice message. They never get the email, and the \vm\ready folder is collecting files still.

I tried deleting contents of the ready folder and rebooting, no good.

I'm going back there tomorrow to fiddle around with it some more...
Posted By: Big Grover Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/22/11 07:19 AM
How do I get (or verify that I have) the ready service patch? I'm guessing I do not have it; on the occasions we have lost Internet access, the ready box fills up and users receive "empty" voicemail notifications.

Also, I located the specific error in vmstart.log; "Unknown option ([email protected]..." followed by "Error in configuration file". I'm using version 12.1.6086.1, so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Interchange UM configuration - 09/26/11 12:29 PM
I finally got this working. I had to change the SPTP host field in the mailboxes Email tab from the IP address of '127.0.0.1' to 'voicemail'. Not sure why it didn't like the loopback IP address, it worked with testSMTP.

This is the SMTP server I installed https://www.softstack.com/firstmailsrv.html . The customer just has to purchase the full-version for $69 or it quits working after 30-days.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help