atcomsystems.ca/forum
Zero experience with phone systems. Trying to catch up.

I'd like to try using hyperterm/vmmi/etc with the Impression for programming instead of the attendant phone.

I tried searching the forum as I saw some mentions of a 'recommended' comdial adapter but couldn't find it.

Can I just cut a serial cable and RJ11 end off.. strip them down and match them up according to the pinouts listed in the manual?

Thanks
What are you trying to do?

Depending...you might be better off using the phone to program. I can remember spending many hours getting a laptop to work on these DSUs---20 years or so ago. It was not fun. I have forgotten almost all I knew. However once I got things set, it worked pretty good.

It appears that you have a manual. Every thing you need to know is in there....but it seemed to take me a long time of frustrating trial and error to finally get it right. I think I have lost or thrown away the cables and adapters that I made.

Perhaps someone with a better memory than mine will jump in to give you some better direction.
I always cheated: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB25-pin-Male-RJ12-RJ11-Jack-Modular-Adapter-6P6C-6wire-Aux-Data-Phone-Telephone-/29186809860?hash=item43f4b1bd44:g:ND0AAOxy06hSGSwC

I had a handful of DB-25 male to RJ-11/12 adapters that worked on all Comdial boxes. Well, that and a Smart Cable SC-88x adapter that read the serial port. IIRC it was always pins 2,3 and 7 and you could use a needle nose to reverse 2 and 3 if it screwed up.

Sorry for the late reply.

I thought I had email notifications on...

I'm having some trouble following the programming through the phone. I can't seem to tell whether or not I'm modifying the settings on the attendant phone or if I'm modifying the settings on the right station.

I'm hoping to get a better view of things on a computer where if I read right I can get a complete configuration.

I bought one of those db9 to rj11 adapters so we'll see if I can get in tomorrow.

Thanks
Just wanted to give an update and thanks for all the info here and across the board.

Turns out the default on my unit is 300 7D 2S / 300 7-N-2 with XON/XOFF and the pins for the adapter are green 2, red 3, yellow 5.

Using the Hyperterminal trial for Windows 10, I was able to make the connection. I almost didn't notice it because I didn't realize that I needed to hit return once I connected before anything showed up on the screen.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help