atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Jim Bennett Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch - 03/17/10 04:25 AM
Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch

Programmable Class IV Tandem Switch with DSP. NEBS Level 3 certified. Year of manufacture 2000. Removed from working service during forklift upgrade of Oryx Priority Call voice mail system (CO voice mail). Will sell entire switch as-is (no software), or we can sell individual cards as needed. PM for a complete list of cards, revision #'s, etc. Cards include 16-stream T1's, DSP's, SS7 PQ, etc.

No reasonable offer will be refused.

Jim
Bumpy bump....

Still sitting on this switch, four years have elapsed...

Anyone? NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED!

Be a shame for a switch that cost more than some houses to go to the scrappers, but that seems to be the way it is now days.

Jim Bennett
========================================
a/k/a/ Hopelessly Optimistic in PA
Posted By: KENB Re: Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch - 03/03/14 08:00 PM
unfortunately its like this with electronics ,and they certainly
dont go up in value and the floor space is worth more then the system,
I had the same thing with old dimensions.finally I sold them
There were 70 barrel of cards and 12000 pounds of cabinets.

Good luck
Posted By: brokeda Re: Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch - 03/06/14 05:40 AM
Had a room full of Horizon stuff, long ago in a Galaxy far, far away.
Posted By: mishenyka Re: Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch - 03/14/14 10:38 AM
Hi Jim,

Can you tell what card are inside the switch. Like is there MX/CPU board 68-2000-11 ?
mishenyka,

sorry about the delay, we were away all weekend.

The CPU boards in this switch are EXS-CPU-1202 boards, assembly number 68-2126-03 rev E16.

Many folks who are using these switches have upgraded the CPUs to third- or fourth-generation boards from Cantata, which came along with dedicated VoIP interface boards and new software to bring an EXS-2000 up to a CSP-2090.

;begin rambling

A brief and incomplete history, if anyone is interested: Lucent payed a small fortune to purchase Excel, at the time [turn of the century], it was the cutting edge of programmable switches and could be mated with existing 4ESS and 5ESS installations to provide all manner of "next-gen" services. Then they decided that they really didn't want to be in the CO switch business any more, and dumped Excel like a hot potato. Excel then merged with a struggling Brooktrout Technologies to form Cantata. Cantata took the existing EXS system [which also had excellent DSP options], and turned it into the CSP, or Converged Services Platform, a pricey TDM/VoIP gateway for small CO's, CLECs, etc.

Cantata hung around for a while until they were purchased by Dialogic. Dialogic kept the line alive for a while, and eventually retired it. I think it was just the cost that made these switches undesirable - NEBS 3 equipment costs real money compared to plastic throwaways.

Jim
==================================================
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: mishenyka Re: Lucent Excel (Cantata) EXS-2000 Switch - 04/11/14 02:15 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for you reply. Where would you suggest me to look for those boards ? Or actually i need their RTM cards. The LNX MX ETH I/O 64K,SEC (101-3688-02/03)LNX-MIO-2231 Part number 67-1093-00.

Will be glad to here from you any suggestions.

mishenyka
mishenyka,

sorry about the delay. I just looked through all the Excel docs that I have here, and those boards are not showing up at all. They are either much older or much newer than what is in my manuals.

There are a lot of ebay sellers that have Excel stuff, as I am sure you already know. There are also a lot of used equipment brokers that come up in a google search, which you have probably already checked... I have never dealt with any of them, so I can't recommend one over the other.

Can anyone here on the list recommend a broker that sells used Excel/Cantata stuff?

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I will keep my eye out for those boards in my travels.

Good luck with your search,
Jim Bennett
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help