atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 11:56 AM
Well first I would like to say how helpful this website is but I do have a few more specific questions.

First I wanted to know if anyone has PCMMC for version 2.6 software on a DCS Compact?

Second, how hard would it be to upgrade the DCS Compact up to the newest software available, as we are planning on implementing an SVMI-4e voicemail system. If anyone has the upgrade and also the PCMMC, it would be greatfully appreciated.

Also, how hard is it to implement the SVMI-4e system? As I am just a beginner DCS programmer. Any tips and tricks?

Thanks very much!
Austin
www.offthedeepend.com
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 03:06 PM
Is there a particular reason you want to attempt this upgrade on your own? What about your local installing dealer?

------------------
Buy-SamsungPhoneSystems.com
Posted By: clgjr Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 04:32 PM
If you are a tech, all you need is the EPROM's. don't waste your time with PCMMC!
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 06:55 PM
Well, to start, the local dealer is a joke and we have had a serious problem while working with them. We purchased our alarm system and also our DCS Compact phone system from them and it just ended up on bad terms to say the least. I talked to Samsung a while back and the gentleman helped me start out with simple DCS programming. I read the programming manual and have become pretty familiar with the system. I have added a couple expansion cards and done a few more customizations. I know everyone that is experienced is reading this and probably laughing, but everyone has to start somewhere. I just have a lot of hands on and textbook experience now. I am a computer systems tech and have a really good idea on how the phone system works but still need some guidance.

So, as far as calling the tech, it is out of the question, the nearest one is about 3 hours away and wants the driving time for the install, which is understandable. The company that I am purchasing the SVMi-4e from is more than willing to help also. I was hoping that this was something that someone in my position could do.

Now the upgrade to the software version, I have v2.6 and would like to upgrade to at least v2.8 because the white papers indicate that there was a few fixes for the voicemail system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would be willing to give a few bucks if anyone has the upgrade and the PCMMC available.

-Austin
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 06:58 PM
Also, I would like to add that if anyone has a competitive price of $975 for a new SVMi-4e please let me know.
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/14/04 08:13 PM
We are a Samsung dealer and have customers in Hagerstown MD. If you are interested in service from us you can E-mail me.
Larry
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/15/04 05:16 AM
Larry, I really appreciate the offer, and I will keep that in mind when it comes down to the service if needed. I would like to attempt the install on my own however, even though I am kinda getting mixed feelings. I do have some experience with a Lucent system I beleive but most of it is with my DCS Compact. I have been programming and expanding the system now for 1.5 years and would hope to continue. I found PCMMC and the Manual and now it is time to do some learning. My question still stands about the software upgrade though. Like I said, I will be more than willing to kick a few dollars to the person that is able to provide the upgrade.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/15/04 07:51 AM
Just to make sure you are aware ... If a non-authorized / Certified person installs the SVMi-4E Samsung will not warranty it nor support it.

You are spending good money for good equipment why throw away a warranty.

------------------
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/15/04 07:58 AM
Yeah, I did learn about the tragic fate of the non technician install but that is a risk I am willing to take. It does not seem like the best of options but when it comes down to it, if it goes as planned, then we are good to go and saved a bit. I know, the artisans of thier trades hates the DIYer but I believe that I am experienced enough to tackle this task. If not, please let me know but honestly is it that bad???
Posted By: Big Mike Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/17/04 06:20 AM
Well deep end, based on your situation, I would
visit this website, purchase the SVMi-E from
them, and benefit from their tech support and
warrenty. I believe they will also be able to
get new software for you as well (which is v2.8
by the way).www.telephonesystemsdirect.com. They sell samsung online and give tech support for the stuff. I dont know if they are or not, but even if they are a little more money than where you were planning on getting it, do not hesitate to pay the difference. I have talked to them befor and they are good guys.
Trust me, you will need the added value of the tech support, there are some real kinks in that product (good ones), that you will need assistance with.
Also like someone said earlier, do away with PCMMC if you are not using an iDCS product.
Post back to tell us what you decide.
Posted By: paul144 Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/17/04 06:54 AM
Off the deep end,
Larry (Cmdl guy) is a dealer and, from what I have seen on this board, very knowledgeable. Give him a call.

------------------
Intertel Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/17/04 03:39 PM
Off The Deepend

Some of the reasons you're having difficulty with people willing to help you is because they know what it is like when a customer chooses to "Do it Themselves". It takes revenue from their pocket.

------------------
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/18/04 09:30 AM
Well stated Tom!
Off the Deep End, in an early post you looked for a price of $975 for an SVMi-4e.
You need to look at what you are getting in the way of warranty when you but it. We have very fair prices and I can tell you that a 2 year warranty will come close to that price and a 5 year warranty will be even higher. Installation would be additional. I can also tell you as a Samsung dealer that no matter what level of discount we have it does not apply to the voice-mail products. If you get better prices than that you need to take a close look at what you recieve.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/20/04 07:29 PM
do you still need the pin out for vm and pcmmc as they are both different
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/22/04 05:43 AM
Tom, I guess next time I would have to look into a different system. I spoke to a local rep that I called for a non samsung voicemail system and he said that if we purchased a system from him, he would be more than happy to provide me with the technical manuals and tech support. I guess that is the difference with the larger companies, they are more willing to help the end user. I have the philosephy that since we purchased the system in full, bought the parts and feel that I am more than capable of programming it the Samsung should respect that and provide me with the materials that I need.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/22/04 01:32 PM
What an interconnect chooses to do with their customers is purely up to them and Samsung nor I will regulate that. However from a Samsung perspective we do not assist consumers because we believe in supporting and protecting our dealers revenue stream. I am sure you can appreciate that although you may not agree with it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by thall - Samsung Rep (edited December 22, 2004).]
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/22/04 05:31 PM
Tom, I do have some respect to Samsung's policies but I guess I was a little disapointed. I wanted to let you know that the voicemail and auto attendant are working great and I do not think that the programming was that bad, even though I did have help.
Posted By: pvj Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/22/04 05:52 PM
Let me say this.
Imagine if anyone could call Samsung or any manufacturers tech support line.Can you imagine the call wait time for actual dealers to get through?Can you also imagine the non technical person asking questions like why is the Hold button red? I'm not saying that's you but I'm sure you get the idea.It's not like a phone or voicemail system is like a VCR or a TV where the operation is essentially the same.To me every phone system is different because the customers needs and wants are different.That makes it harder to provide tech support in my opinion.And thats why the manufacturers want to provide tech support to authorized dealers who have received training on the products.Consumer products are on a different level.

[This message has been edited by pvj (edited December 22, 2004).]
Posted By: brokeda Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/23/04 12:00 AM
your service company should be like a business partner. Find a good Interconnect and stick with them. Then when an emergency comes up you might be able to talk to someone who actually gives a hoot. Most business have revenue streams. Lets say company A is $1000.00 a day, most are very dependant on voice communication.
How much do they lose if phones are down 8 hrs??? A good Interconnect w/ inventory can have most systems back up in a short time and have 2 or 3 hr emgcy response time. Thats when the internet grinders start calling the pros, after wasting hundreds or thousands in down time. When I get an emergency call of system down and come quick I have a few questions--- If I don 't know these people, why are they calling me? Did they not pay the last company? If they are DIY they will more than likely protest when they get the bill.
Did they have a bad experince with the last
company that they worked with? That is possible but not always true. Like the Dentist that brings in $300.00 per hr working his profession but wants to take time off to play computer tech or phone man to save money, but actually loosing money any time he's not working his field. Yes, I could find a used copier,take it apart and make it work great and think I saved, but I would make more money Prospecting-selling-serviceing phone/computer equip because thats what im best at.
Also a good tech or consultant can look at a companys phone setup and offer insite to streamline the operation or to better utilize the companys assets in monthly telecom expenses. How many time have I walked in on a place spending 1400 amonth when the same services were available for 750.00, the phone board or rack is a mess because they call a different company every time they run into trouble. A 5 minute job takes 2 hours for tracing wires, unmarked feeders and other non-industry idiocy. Why waste your time explaining how to save 50% on monthly charges when you know that they won't call you again except for trash jobs that they screwed up first, or some trunker did. Sure its work but noe recuring. Sure we take the work and bill COD, but would rather have the Relationship!!
Posted By: OffTheDeepEnd.com Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/23/04 04:38 AM
Now see, I completely agree with you. We unfortunately had a fallout with the local Samsung dealer and I was unable to find another one until I found this forum, which was all but like a week ago. I understand that if there was a problem with my phone system then I would lose thousands of dollars. The only reason I touched the cabinet is because I could not find anyone to help. The company that I bought a few items from a while ago said just to go ahead and install them. It was not that hard and I honestly do not regret doing it myself. My company is not afraid to pay for services that are rendered and in case of emergency I have two people on my mind to call now. CDML_Guy has offered his services and I found out from the Avaya rep that there is a new Samsung dealer about an hour and a half away. To me, this was a good idea, the voicemail installed flawlessly and I have gained a few more connections that are there to help me. Yes, one local dealer has lost a few dollars by not doing the install but whenever that Compact malfunctions, I am sure it will pay for it.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Samsung DCS Compact Question - 12/23/04 07:01 PM
brokeda
great explaination I take it you have had some humm dingers lately,I feel your pain I just drove 2.0 hrs to trace a shorted pair on a diy cics install and had to invoice on the spot because the same things were running thru my head, Except the guilt I had when I rang up the tab for an hour on site (mandatory) and it took 10 minutes Oh wait that was not guilt it was pay back for non loyalty right? LOL "sometimes you win sometimes you loose but all in all its how you treat the customer when you need to keep the stream alive" and thats why we still go and do it because the money is not in the install its in the adds moves and changes
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help