atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello.

I was wondering if the Samsung iDCS 500 release 1 had caller ID for analog extension (SLI card) available.

I heard that Samsung now has this caller ID for analog extensions for the smaller Samsung system and they were trying to get one out around the end of 2004 for the IDCS 500.

I was just wondering if this anyone knows if this is available yet?

Thanks.
No and I don't think you will ever see it for the release 1 500.Maybe the release 2 but even then I wouldn't count on it because the wireless ip phones are coming and I'm sure they will be capable of this.
yeah.as far as i know it's only on the 616 (it's cool!) and coming for the idcs100. the dcsc, 50si, 400, & 500 not an option from what i hear
Does anyone know why Samsung is refusing to enable the caller ID for the analog extensions? I believe that most business phone systems have this ability. I am not sure what Samsung hopes to gain from this?

Maybe they don't want you buying analog phones instead of the Samsung phones? I just can't figure it out.

It makes them seem like they are antiquated and out of touch with modern technology when you tell people that Samsung top of the line system does not support Caller ID for some of their phones.

Please let me know if you have any more information regarding this issue.

Thanks.
it's just weird that they aren't doing it on the 500
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the newly released iDCS 500 Release 2 will pass CID to analog ports.
No the release 2 will not pass it to the analog ports.As for antiquated how many systems do pass caller id to analog ports?
All the Nitusko phones that I've seen can pass CID information to the analog ports with no problem. Even on their 15 year old system pass CID information to the Analog ports.

I don't know what Samsung's Logic is? Its hard to seem cutting edge when they can't figure out how to sent caller ID to analog extensions.

Why deny this feature in such a competitive market. Its difficult to tell someone that their new expensive phone system lacks the ability of their old Nitsuko phone that you just replaced. Especially when their Fax server(which works off analog lines) can no longer identify the caller.

I wonder which genius at Samsung came up with the no CID on analog extension idea.
Not to argue with you but can Norstar which is a big player do this on their key systems?I know what you're saying but once the cordless ip phones are released then this will be a minor issue except for a fax machine on an analog extension.I know that the 616 the cost to add it was minimal and it is a nice feature.
Yeah but look at nec ds1000/2000 CID to analog ports.That is a ksu. Evidently this is a hardware limitation on samsungs part! I have been very disappointed with some of the samsung lines. One would think a modern pbx should do what a cheap ksu will and then some! I say all the manufacters not just samsung need to get with the program.
I remember being at a product launch and the exact question about cid to analog ports.We were told then that they would look into it.It's not just a matter of hardware but how much does the hardware cost to implement.Like was mentioned earlier,you have it on the 616,the iDCS100 release 2 will also have it.Compact no because the software is virtually if not already a dead issue for that line.As for the 500 we'll have to wait or maybe Tom will chip in if he has any knowledge of Samsung's plans.
Alright I will chime in. All I know is that Samsung is seriously looking in to it. However, it is all about Cost vs. Demand. How many SLI cards with CID would you install on a typical iDCS 500 configuration? What about if the price was 15% higher? In order to add CID to Analog stations a manufacturer has to add the components to either the Analog Station Card or to the backplane of the switch, either way their will be a cost. So again how many SLI with CID would you sell?

How many other manufactures that have equivalent size and capabilities support CID to an Analog device? I was not aware that the Iwatsu Adix APS supports CID to Analog Station.

------------------
Buy-SamsungPhoneSystems.com
Thanks Tom.
Exactly,say 10% of people would utilize the feature.But 100% of the people have to pay for it because the card has to have hardware added to it.The only other way is to maybe make a card that has it and 1 that doesn't.But there has to be enough demand for both cards or it's not worth the production run of the lesser selling card.
Well first of all the Samsung iDCs 500 is a very expensive system which is support to be cutting edge. This phone system is suppose to be Samsung's flagship system.

It should at very lease mirror the functions of cheap old phone systems selling on ebay which may be over 15 years old.

Secondly, the Samsung iDCS 500 key market is large business. Large modern businesses generally use Fax servers instead of old fashion paper Fax machines. These Fax servers require Caller ID on the line to identify the sender.

It makes customers angry when you replace a old "obsolete" phone system. Then they learn the new system can't do the features of the old one.

For example:

1.Park Orbit: I can't program a key to represent a park orbit. Large company which are extreme busy have a receptionist who are constantly juggling calls, placing multiple calls on hold. Most phone systems can have dedicated lets say 9 buttons which represent the 9 Orbits. However, not Samsung! Samsung has a flashing line #1, flashing line#2,etc.
So when you have 6 simultaneous calls coming in. You do not know if the flashing line #1 is a new call or a call placed in a parked Orbit. Phone system that are over 20 years old the ability to designate a parked orbit button!

2. The "direct pickup" DP feature does not ring on the phone. It only flashes. How do you hear a flashing light? This feature is for a sectary who need to be able to answer their boss's phone when they are busy. I am forced to make several a 2 people group to accomplish something workable here because the direct pickup feature not ringing is a joke.

3. 2-way off hook voice announcement: Ability for a receptionist to have a brief conversation with a employee in the event that a important call comes in for them.

Its the ability interrupt the person current talking in a phone conversation and ask them if they would like to take the important call. Samsung only have 1-way off hock voice announcement unless you happen to have a 32 AOM.

4. CID to analog extensions(of course you already know about this one) I don't think we are talking about 15% extra cost if Samsung would produced the system with this from the start.

Please help me out here if I forgot any of the things customer's complain about.

I mean most of these things I know for a fact that Nitsuko have done most of these things 15-20+ years ago. Why has Samsung never caught up?

I would be glad to give samsung a PDF manuals from Nitsuko to verify that they can do these features on even their cheap older phone systems if it would help Samsung produce a better product and keeps the installers from trying to make excuses for Samsung's oversights.

[This message has been edited by Calven007 (edited January 06, 2005).]
Tom I agree. I wouldn't want the extra cost of the CID feature for my Hotel installations. These sites are mostly SLI cards and nobody uses CID on the guest phones.
Larry
Calven007 -

Since I am now taking care of your area why don't you shoot me an email with "Your Wish List" and next week when I am in Dallas I will address them. Also why you're at it please send me your Nitsuko pdf and I will use it as back up.

Regarding your points some of them are being addressed and some of them haven't been discussed but none the less if we don't hear from the dealers then we can't add features if it is feasable. Last point I will make is that since you are refering to 32 AOM I would speculate that you haven't priced an iDCS 500 out lately. We are extremely competitive and you will be hard pressed to lose based on price unless your mark-up is something outside the norm.

------------------

[This message has been edited by thall - Samsung Rep (edited January 07, 2005).]
Tom,
The idea list and hearing from the dealers was what I wanted to see on the ebiz forum.Unfortunately as you know it got taken away.I would like to see it back and maybe what it needs is a moderator.Please add my feature wish list from your forum to the Dallas meeting.
I agree about the park orbits. Really, What the heck is samsung doing?
All of your requests will be mentioned in my report next week in Dallas.

The park orbit idea is a nice one and it was a great tool while I was at Comdial. Currently the way I sell around that is by emphasizing that I can put a call on hold at any given extension and when it recall it will recall to that extension thus giving you both an audible ring as well as an Amber call indicator.

------------------
What is Samsung reason for not doing the park orbit buttons? This would be extremely useful feature for any phone system.

Its like selling a luxury car without a power windows or power steering.

[This message has been edited by Jonnydanger (edited January 10, 2005).]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thall - Samsung Rep:
All of your requests will be mentioned in my report next week in Dallas.

The park orbit idea is a nice one and it was a great tool while I was at Comdial. Currently the way I sell around that is by emphasizing that I can put a call on hold at any given extension and when it recall it will recall to that extension thus giving you both an audible ring as well as an Amber call indicator.

</font>

This would only be for 1 call at a time but a receptionist handing tons of calls and several people on hold it would not work.

It also requires paging " John please dial 12 343" which is kind of a pain. Most offices are use to using the park orbit as the primary method on placing a call on hold and picking up a call on hold. The park orbit buttons is really something Samsung should do. I think Samsung is the only company that does not currently do this?

Please let us if Samsung is planing on added a Park orbit button.

Thanks.
OK I need some clarification please. What exactly do you want to happen versus Samsung's Park & Page (Manual or Automatic)and Remote Hold features.

When I was at Comdial and I needed to Park a call I simply pushed a park orbit key 0-9 and then annouced "John Park #". How is that different from what Samsung offers with the Call Park and Page Feature? If I want to manually select a page orbit while on the call I use my soft keys or programmed Park key and then enter Park Orbit 0-9. Once I have done that I disconnect and then Page "John Park #. If I want to shorten the step up, while on the conversation I press Page and announce "John call on Line 7003." Of course the downside to that is the call is on hold at the receptionist extension.

So again I need clarification - You ask for Park Orbits the iDCS 500,iDCS 100 and DS616 all have them what else do you want?

------------------
I apologize, it does let you assign the 9 different park orbit to 9 different keys.

[This message has been edited by Calven007 (edited January 11, 2005).]
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thall - Samsung Rep:

So again I need clarification - You ask for Park Orbits the iDCS 500,iDCS 100 and DS616 all have them what else do you want?

</font>

Hello.

I would like to offer my apologizes for the Orbit comment. I am able to assigned 10 dedicated keys for each of the 10 Orbits.

I think most people are on the impression that you can only assign a "PARK" key to allow someone to hit " Transfer Park then manually enter an orbit number or hit "*" to have the system select one.

I do not think most people understand that you can program a " PARK 1, Park 2, Park 3, Park 4, Park 5, etc... that will represent the status of the individual orbits.

I posted a thread on this exact topics in the past and no one seem to think this could be done.

https://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/Forum23/HTML/000063.html

I guess my only complaint is that this feature might be explained a little better in the programing manual but once again, I do own you an apology for saying the system did not do this.

Thanks.

P.S. Getting Direct pickup feature to ring on the phone and allowing the 2-way off hook voice announcement would still be nice feature.

[This message has been edited by Calven007 (edited January 11, 2005).]
Just to let you in on what is a rumour at this point but apparently caller id to the sli ports is coming soon to the iDCS500.

[This message has been edited by pvj (edited February 09, 2005).]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help