atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello.

I am not sure if I am dealing with a defective LAN card but the mac address is being displayed as " FFFFFFFFFFF"

I know there was a problem with the phone lines that caused the system to reset a few months ago. I honest can't remember if the MAC was FFFFFFFFFFF before that date. I thought it use to be a number but I am really not sure.

Also, I have tried to setup the PCMMC remote software.

I have assigned the system an the correct settings of:

IP address
Subnet mask
LAN gateway
PCMMC address
Remote M/A Addr

However the PCMMC software just won't connect.

I am thinking that maybe my LAN card may be defective or damage.

I thought the mac address use to be like an actual serial number not the same leter repeting.

It kind of like seeing a social security number as 666-66-6666.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your help.
Hi there,

If you have a MCP 1 then the most likely cause is that at some point the lan has been started with a gateway address on a different network to the ip address, i.e. 192.168.1.1 as the system ip address but the gateway set to 192.168.2.1. To recover from this you must download, default, (check the mac is ok) alter the ip address in the download and upload into system.
If you have a MCP 2 then the card must have a fault.

All the Best
Your'e right about MAC addresses and your's doesn't look right at all. The first six characters of the MAC identify the manufacturer and the remaining characters are a unique serial number. I have never seen a MAC address like yours.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tailor:
Hi there,

If you have a MCP 1 then the most likely cause is that at some point the lan has been started with a gateway address on a different network to the ip address, i.e. 192.168.1.1 as the system ip address but the gateway set to 192.168.2.1. To recover from this you must download, default, (check the mac is ok) alter the ip address in the download and upload into system.
If you have a MCP 2 then the card must have a fault.

All the Best
</font>

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am using release #1 so I an trying to follow your instructions but I'm not sure I understand exactly how to do that.

Are you saying that I much upload an earlier version of the saved customer database to restore the MAC address?

If you could explain this is more detail I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.
Whoops, posted a new topic instead of a reply, heres a link rather than me double post !

MAC Address
for a starter the mac should look like 04-w2-54-00-16 or something like it but rebooting default will not change the mac back to normal the mac is built in and can not be changed so the ip stuff you do will not work I suggest calling samsung and getting the card replaced save your self the trouble and back up the database before you change it out

Waine
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wrichey:
for a starter the mac should look like 04-w2-54-00-16 or something like it but rebooting default will not change the mac back to normal the mac is built in and can not be changed so the ip stuff you do will not work I suggest calling samsung and getting the card replaced save your self the trouble and back up the database before you change it out

Waine
</font>

Actually thats not true.
MAC can be changed. It requires the time on system to be set to predetermened value.

When we were registering Samsung software (OfficeLink) which was tied to MAC address, Samsung walked me through a procedure of changing the MAC (because aparently my MAC was exactly the same as another clients).

Unfortunately i do not remeber what was the time i had to set in the system to allow me to change the MAC.

Regards
The LAN has it's own software and has to start sucessfully in order for the system to access it and display such details as the MAC address, the fact that it's all FF shows that the LAN has not started correctly rather than meaning it doesn't have a MAC address. Using MMC to change the MAC address is not going to help because the system is not talking to the LAN card. This is a common issue on the Rev 1, yes you could have a faulty card but few go faulty where as it's easy to create this fault by mis configuring it. If you want to be sure, make sure you have a backup in MMC 818 or through PCMMC, and try it in default. You can easily restore the database
My bad I did not know you could change the mac thats news to me but I can follow the vien that the lan card did not boot correctly and that is the reason for the fffffff
Does anyone know a solution to this problem short of restoring factory settings to correct this problem?

Thanks.
The Assistant,

As I said in the other thread, let me know your versions and I'll look again.
I'll tell you what I know from MMC 727.

SCP V 1.09

LCP1 V1.03

TEPRI/IP V1.05

MCP S1.25

LAN "No version data"

Is that the information your looking for?

Thanks.
Thats fine, give me a few days.

Incedently, the SCP and LCP uses the same software, you have different versions which could cause some issues. You should upgrade your LCP to 1.09 to match the SCP. This is done in MMC 818, choose SCP and then select Cab 2.
Back on the mac thing I thought that a mac was a unique identity for each piece of hardware and that there could not be two of anykind this whole thing goes against what I thought I learned in training. if you can change your mac then what stops this kind of problem from happening every place we do an install ? who tells the hardware what mac it has ? in this case its samsung right? The first half of a MAC address contains the ID number of the adapter manufacturer. These IDs are regulated by an Internet standards body IEEE. The second half of a MAC address represents the serial number assigned to the adapter by the manufacturer. example 00:A0:C9:14:C8:29
The prefix 00A0C9 indicates the manufacturer is Intel Corporation, anyway the point being the only mac you can change is a vpn or software mac but hardware macs can not because they are registered serial numbers right? or maybe I need to go back to school LOL
Something must of happen to really mess this up. The MAC address is suppose to be unique and should not be able to be changed. I think its kind of like a Social Security number. No 2 pieces are suppose to be the same. I don't know why the MAC address is like that.

I wish there was a way to solve this problem that did not involve formatting the entire system. That is very extreme especially in a big office.

Thanks.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help