atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dataswift Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 06:23 AM
I've just setup a new DCS-816 for a client. Standard system with a dual port BRI trunk card. I have two of the analogue/SLI ports presenting as faxes and accessible to the outside world as DDI numbers. The faxes can send out but do not receive incoming.

If you phone one of these lines from externally the number continues to ring and is never answered - however if you watch the faxes they seems to detects the ring and the modem starts trying to initialise.

One broken fax I could live with, but two doesn't seem likely.

I have tried changing LJUs, using both master and secondary types and have also tried standard phones on the lines which ring as normal and can answer.

If anyone can shed any light I'd be eternally grateful and a lot less stressed!

------------------
Best Regards - Jake
DataSwift Network Services Ltd
www.dsns.co.uk
Posted By: dtmf Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 06:34 AM
Are the fax's set to manual by chance and not auto
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 07:01 AM
I have tried manual and auto modes - but these are still not getting through??
Posted By: dtmf Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 07:07 AM
Don't really know much about the Samsung products but most other systems need to supply voltage to SLI for ringing, some are built in and some aren't. This may be that case for your problem.
Posted By: pvj Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 08:47 AM
The switch will provide the ring voltage.
What about calling from 1 fax to another through the system.I am assuming both faxes are on the system.

[This message has been edited by pvj (edited May 24, 2005).]
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 09:34 AM
I shall go out to site and check the line voltage and try fax to fax across the system.

Many thanks for the input thus far!
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 11:48 AM
The faxes won't send to each other internally across the exchange (ie 213 dialing 214). They flash a receiving message to indicate that the line is ringing, but do not pickup/start negotiating. If I pick up the handset on the receiving fax I can hear the fax modem attempting to connect. If I press receive it will start to connect, but the connection seems to drop out.

This is the same if I fax from 213 to 214 or vica versa.

I looked at the service settings under MMC220 default is set to voice, but have tried modem and G3 Fax for each line with no apparent change.

Doubting my sanity I have even put a new brother fax machine on to extension 213 - again I can send out, but it will not connect and receive incomming!!!
Posted By: pvj Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 05:17 PM
I wonder if the faxes don't like the ring voltage the system is generating.In a perfect world it would be a sine wave but the system is probably generating something closer to a square wave.Can't say I'v really run into that very often but have you connected the faxes directly too a line and it works fine?Is the 2 sli card new or has it been installed in the system for a while?
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/24/05 10:46 PM
I'm using the onboard SLI Ports (RJ45 connector below CHAMP) 4 port. Have tried ports 1 and 2 on this (213 and 214). Will have a go with ports 215 and 216.
Posted By: pvj Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/25/05 05:58 AM
Make sure that you are pinning out the RJ45 correctly is my next advice.
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/25/05 07:30 AM
Strangely enough all fax's work on ports 215 and 216, but not 213 or 214. I think you must be right about the pinout, I suspect a cross between the first two pairs.

I'll check out the install manual and MDF wiring and report back.

Thanks for your help with this - much appreciated.
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/27/05 03:43 AM
I checked the pin out for the SLT RJ 45. The guys had done the job according to the manual:

Pin 1 - Tip 213
Pin 2 - Tip 214
Pin 3 - Tip 215
Pin 4 - Tip 216
Pin 5 - Ring 216
Pin 6 - Ring 215
Pin 7 - Ring 214
Pin 8 - Ring 213

This looks odd on the MDF as; 213 connects to OW/BrW, 214 connects to O/BrW while pairs are retained for 215 (GW/G) and 216 (Bl/BlW).

I suspected a misprint, so have experimented with pairs OW/O and BrW/Br, but these do not even produce a tone so I guess the manual is correct.

So I'm still at the same impass 213 and 214 work ok as outgoing lines for faxes, but can not receive (or try to receive, but the calling station still gets the ring tone as if the lines have not been answered).

The problem now is that I need to configure these lines to link into a voice mail/aa system and I've still got the same issue.

Could it be something to do with these circuits being configured as Off Premise Extension OPX connections, or do you think that there may be a minor board fault on this system?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/28/05 07:42 PM
Also, I didn't see it posted yet, but you need to plug in your butt set to the analog port and call the number and make sure that the port is ringing. You said it "seems" like they are ringing. You want to make sure. Because there are some parameters that you need to assign for the analog ports to ring. I dont know if you have done that yet. If you haven't then let me know and I will go get the manual and tell you what MMC it is.
Posted By: pvj Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/28/05 09:34 PM
Parameters for the sli ports to ring?Not sure what you mean by that,if you call the extension it will ring.
Posted By: phonman123 Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/29/05 06:45 AM
Check the manual, I think you can change the way the port ring, ICM,CO.
Posted By: pvj Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/29/05 11:15 AM
True you can choose icm or co type ringing but that shouldn't affect the fax machines unless they were ident a call compatable.Even then ,the fact they worked on the 2 other ports says to me that the first 2 sli ports were bad sine he said they were wired correctly.
Posted By: aardvark Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 05/31/05 07:49 AM
I believe the trouble to still have to do with splitting the pairs of ext 213 & 214. As mentioned, 215 and 216 work fine - if you are using a 568B Cat5 patch cord as an interface cable, the green and blue pairs will not be split. However, you mentioned that 213 was connected to orange white / brown white. If, as I suspect, you have used a 568B cord as an interface cable, extension 213 should connect to white orange / brown white with extension 214 using orange white / white brown.

If the pairs are split between these two extensions it it very possible for outgoing to work but incoming to fail. If you call a display phone from either of these extensions do the extension numbers report correctly?
Posted By: dataswift Re: Fax Not Working on DCS-816 SLI Port - 06/03/05 05:50 AM
Aardvark. You were correct about the crossover (though the 568B vs 568A cable didn't make a lot of difference).

213 was connected to pin 1 and 7 (White Orange and White Brown).

214 was connected to pins 2 and 8 (Orange White and Brown White.

Sorry guys - this was a dumb mistake and I should have picked it up earlier. Thanks for all of your help and sorry for wasting the time.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help