atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phonman123 Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/07/06 05:07 AM
What is anyone doing with the iDCS 100 when you go VOIP. You can't put the cover on, Cat 5 cable for the VM and MCP are in the way. No clearance.
On the MGI card the connection is at the bottom, but not for the others.
Posted By: benb Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/07/06 05:16 AM
Ya, they weren't thinking at the factory when they designed the cards. Well the MCP has the connector on the botton so that isn't a problem. The one for the MGI faces forward so what I do is use one of the "L" cat5 adapters that come in the IP phone boxes and this allows you to close the main cabinet cover. As far as the expansion cabinet goes well that's a different story. I've only done this at a couple of customer sites so far and it looks a bit silly but it allows you to close the cover. What you need to do is measure out where the connector is on the cover and drill a hole big enough to allow the connector and patch cable to stick out of it. Why Samsung won't design a cover for the system so we don't have to do things like this I don't know. Maybe if enough of us complain it will happen.
Posted By: FTT388 Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/09/06 05:02 AM
I agree the factory was not thinking at all with placement of the rj45 jacks. You either stamp out a large enough hole. Or place the cover on and let it rest on the connector. Look a bit un-professionaly. But over the year I have seen much worse.
This is a continuation of the no thinking TEPRI cable on the 100 expansion.

If you close the door you crush the network cable.

I leave the doors off and tell the customers the systems last longer if you keep the unit cooler by leaving the doors off. "The doors are Samsung's way to sell you replacement cards."

It would cost more money to make covers that stick out farther, that is the honest truth. Raise your hand if you are a manufacturer who wants to spend more money. Like DUH!
Oh benb, "Maybe if enough of us complain it will happen."

I NEED a Becks after that, I laughed so hard ... well I should wear Depends when I read things like that.

I have this bridge in Brooklyn and it makes a fortune in tolls, how would you like to buy a piece of it, I could use some
Posted By: phonman123 Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/09/06 06:05 PM
Sent a e-mail to Saul. Let's see what happens.
Posted By: benb Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/10/06 02:22 PM
Thanks for the sarcastic remark bunny. In fact I was simply suggesting that if Samsung heres nothing from any one why would they make any changes for that matter. If no one complained about problems on any system why would they have more than one version? It's a fact that personally working with Samsung I have been involved in discovering issues and getting them resolved. So while your sitting back having your becks (nasty brew) I'll be getting things done.
Posted By: phonman123 Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/10/06 05:41 PM
Got a reply from Tech. Support. Not anything they can do. Told to contact the Reg. Sales Mgr.
I was being sarcastic, I was not trying to offend you personally and if you took it that way I appologize.

I spent years and years and years sending suggestions to Samsung and unless it could be implemented without cost, no one in authority was interested.

In order of priority at Samsung, 1, 2, and 3 are profit, profit, and profit. One little feature will not make more profit. A certain amount of money is allocated to new features and if a few things can be redone in software at the same time by the lowest bidder, then it gets done.

Trust me, no one at Samsung is going to worry about one little feature, the concern is about profits. Now if ALL the regional sales managers jump up and down and say this feature is killing their sales, then maybe, just maybe they will evaluate the feature.

You are not dealing with a benevolent American company that has the love of the customer as #1 priority, Samsung is a purely bottom line driven company, that is just reality. They have a legal right to be that way.

Meet with your Regional Sales Manager while I have my Becks. I'll be more mellow than you. I do understand Samsung, I was putting in their 616 ksus private labeled as Macrotel about 18 years ago. Nothing much has changed. I live with that as I sell much less Samsung now and whatever they do is whatever they do, I'm done trying to change them, I'd rather rejoice over a hangover than beat my head into a wall.
Posted By: benb Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/11/06 03:18 PM
No prob. bunnie. You didn't offend me, though you make enough bad remoarks about Samsung that I wonder why you even deal with the product to begin with. Every manufacturer has problems, I haven't seen one system out there without some bug or problem with it. The fact is we are the installers who have to deal with these problems. All I'm saying is I'm not one to just sit back and live with it. I'm an activist. If I see a problem I'm going to telol some one about it, if they chose not to fix it or do anything about it I'll go a step higher. That's all. I'm sure your an amazing tech, I've seen some of your posts, just don't come off so negative all the time that's all.
Posted By: phonman123 Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/12/06 06:03 PM
SOOOOOOO What about a connector??????

Anybody know where??? It will help all.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/12/06 07:04 PM
Like Ben said use an L connector from the bottom of an ip phone. The VM well I guess you could remove the foam stopper on the inside of the exp cab and do the same thing but I have never tried it.

I do like the idea of drilling a hole in the cover, just but a gromet on it and your set.

oh ya Radio shack and altex both have them.
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/12/06 07:29 PM
Waine
Do you know where to buy those L connectors. I have not seen them on the "quick order" pages on the Samsung web site.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 07/12/06 07:42 PM
they arent there. I have a catalog at the office but cant think of the name. I will post in the morning with the info
What, its too much trouble to let the fresh air come in and let them breathe?

Use the covers for bird feeders and put up a sign that says, "Excess heat can damage these circuit cards, do not block air flow."

You look like the brilliant technician for keeping the eqippment running and the birds will love you.

Gee you can make things really simple or not.
Posted By: jettech Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/02/06 05:32 PM
Whoops Pressed Enter too many times I’ll have another go.

I’ve not had a problem with the MGI Lead looks a bit tight but the cover has always gone on for me.

I have 3 Solutions

1. Be rough and ram the cover on you may be surprised to see it still works the connector seems to bend sideways off the PCB a bit anyway.

2. Use the Patchleads without boots on them they will stick out less. Or if you’re running cables you will be crimping a plug on the end anyway?

3. Samsung seem to have fixed this Problem with the 7200 no problems getting the cover on there smile

Although you seem to run into those sorts of issues with the 7200 anyway they only just fit into a 450 Deep Rack I think I drilled a hole into the wall behind for the power cord last time I did one.
Posted By: ctiuser Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/04/06 07:36 PM
Has anyone seen the new MGI16 card yet?

This has a recessed connector and the case closes just fine.
Posted By: FTT388 Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/04/06 07:38 PM
Newer iDCS 100 expandtion cabinets do come with a cover that allows room for the cables. It sticks out about 2 inches more. But the main cabinets remain the same.
Posted By: jettech Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/05/06 02:08 AM
I thought you could not put a MGI in the Exp Cabinet.
Posted By: Rezen Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/05/06 05:41 AM
Speech path isn't established, if you install MGI3 card in the Exp Cabinet OS100. frown

I suppose that is bug. Samsung engineers didn't correct one, but simple print in the Installation Man: "MGI3 shall be installed in the Basic cabinet".
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/05/06 08:00 AM
There is also a RJ45 connector on the bottom of the TEPRI card that you can use so that the cover will close.
Posted By: Cracker Re: Cat 5 cables and iDCS 100 - 09/12/06 06:58 AM
The L conectors are on The Sandmans Website
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help