atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: benb IP phone question - 03/14/07 10:46 AM
Anyone here install an all IP system? 7200 or 7400. I'm bidding on one right now and they are changing from 31 digital phones to all IP phones against my recommendations. I'm a little worried about the IP phones due to my other customers who have problems with analog trunks and getting the audio to balance well. I'm curious as well about an all call page which would use an MGI port for every phone all at once. That would be a lot of data in one big stream. Any one done anything like this with Samsung yet? This site will expand soon up to 40 phones. I'm just not sure if I want the deal if they want to go all IP even against my recomendations and I can't garuntee it will work.
Posted By: robe2conoby Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 02:12 PM
All I can say is good luck !!!!

I having prob with a 7200 and Ip phones right now and to top it off the second cabinet has stopped working twice this week ...Had to pull the link cables and replug them back in to get it to work.....
Posted By: CMDL_GUY Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 02:46 PM
I don't think all IP is a good idea and I don't think your Samsung rep would disagree. Why does the customer want all IP. If you find his reason you may be able to change his mind. I had a customer ask for all IP just so they can move a phone without calling a phone tech. We installed a patch panel instead of blocks and they are happy.
Posted By: Cracker Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 03:10 PM
Even though my main background is data I would strongly suggest that they re-think all IP. If the network goes down they are screwed. VOIP is not ready to sit on everyone's desk yet, but then that is just my opinion. It has its own niche but to me that is all.
Posted By: ctiuser Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 03:51 PM
I know of a couple of all IP systems here in Australia, most of them work very well provided the LAN is up to scratch.
The local Samsung Distributor insists that the network is pre-qualified, with good quality Data Switches and no Hubs.
All of the systems use ISDN and not analogue trunks, and the audio balance is not an issue.
Reliability has been good.

Keyset "Page all" and background music are issues and have to be explained to the customer, but directed page works well.

Codec choice is obviously critical, G.711 - 40ms works well.

You might consider adding a Combo card and providing the operator with a Keyset as a backup should the LAN fail. This will probably be required anyway to drive Faxes and other analogue devices.

Overall - Dont be afraid of it, it is the future.
Posted By: Rowlettdon Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 04:59 PM
All IP? Run don't look back! If you must install it then use the Combo if for nothing else - emergency phones. It will also give you a way to verify the default address since Samsung can't make them all the same and access if the network is down. CTIUSER has a lot of good points and don't forget to include the TOS (router tag) in MMC 840 to let the network know to QOS the call and use the G.711 - 40ms
Posted By: Sam Sung Re: IP phone question - 03/14/07 10:03 PM
Yeah i have seen a few all IP networks. You will need a newer 3.34 software on 7400 or 2.69 on 7200 for the paging. I have seen paging up to 100 phones work flawlessly and never saw a top end. QoS will be key to take priority over data. Good switching equipment and good QoS and you wont have any problems. I've done a lot of work with cisco too, and good priority keeps customers happy, no priority will turn into a disaster if you have plenty of bandwidth or not.
Posted By: benb Re: IP phone question - 03/15/07 05:20 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I have a strong background in IT (degree in IT and MCP) and have done many many IP phone/softphone istallations. I'm glad to see that there are more of all IP installs than I thought. My office is running on a 7200 all IP. I'm going to recommend to this client a 7400, 64port MGI, a dedicated cat5e to each phone and one centralized 48 port switch for the phone network. My office runs this same way and internally it's flawless, just have issues with our POTS lines which will be fixed when we get our PRI in. Basically when you do something like this you can't just throw the phones on the existing network and say see ya later. I'm willing to go the distance but it has to be done my way, Cisco is the same way, you have to use thier switches, their routers and so on and everything has to be done a certain way no exceptions or they won't install it. I'd like to see Samsung come out with Gigabit phones soon so I don't have to tell the customer that to use their existing connection they will have to be limited to 100 baseT. Thanks again for the info and I'll report back with how the install goes if we get the deal.
Posted By: jettech Re: IP phone question - 04/05/07 07:39 AM
We’ve done heaps of all IP Installs.

Always a good Idea to give the Receptionist a digital as you can’t get IP AOM's yet this gives you an emergency fallback if you have MGI or network failure.

The biggest site i've been involved with has about 300 ITP's and about 60 WIPS + a few digitals this all runs off one 7400 across 4 sites over wireless bridges.

The biggest problem with the ITP's is the speaker phone quality for the caller at the other end.

The ITP's seem to be pretty robust Iv'e not had any die yet apart form the odd earpeice and curly cord.
Posted By: benb Re: IP phone question - 04/05/07 10:17 AM
Are you using digital trunking at this site with 300 ITP's, (I'm assuming you are). What I've come to realize is that without digital trunks like a T-1, PRI or SIP the call quality on outside lines is far from good or close but not as good as even cell phone quality. Analog trunks just don't balance well with the ITP sets.
Posted By: jettech Re: IP phone question - 04/05/07 06:20 PM
yep come to think of it all but one of my IP sites have BRI's or PRI's.

I have a small site with 20 ITP's with analouge trunks I will have to check their call quality out next time I'm there. I didnt notice any problems with call quality at the time.

However I had some other more pressing issues at the time like a faulty MCP causing the trunks to drop off during calls so holding a call was the first priority on that job.

They already had the PSTN trunks with their old system so I used them again on the 7200.
It probably wouldn't hurt to change them over to ISDN trunks anyway.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help