atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: SooprmanX Latency figures for VoIP system? - 09/01/07 10:23 PM
I have the email at home and will need to check it later for the exact wording the customer gave me. But basically they are looking to open two offices, one in San Antonio and one in Las Vegas. He wants to know what kind of latency is bearable on the Samsung system from the point to point T1 they will have between the two sites.
Posted By: Connextions1 Re: Latency figures for VoIP system? - 09/03/07 10:28 AM
Not quite sure what he is expecting. Typically when people ask me about latency with regards to VoIP they have had a bad experience with Vonage or Skype.

What is the Point to Point T1 being used for? Voice only? What type of traffic do they expect between locations?
Posted By: SooprmanX Re: Latency figures for VoIP system? - 09/06/07 08:16 PM
I'm not exactly sure, he isn't interested in the answer anymore. Good ole IT consultants. :roll:
Posted By: Noisycow Re: Latency figures for VoIP system? - 09/21/07 01:45 AM
There is seldom EVER a latency problem over a PTP T-1 as long as you (or their data person) applies decent QOS over the circuit.

The most simple test would be a ping repeat test and if the pings are coming back avg 50ms or so and none over 110 peak the 'trip time' between offices are fast enough.

Once you know that the data CAN travel from point A to B fast enough then it is a matter of making sure the VOICE packets have priority over the 'DATA.' Many ways of doing that depending on what routers are used. Give the MCP/MGI card's priority, and/or the TCP/UDP ports used, v-lan, etc.

Anytime we see someone willing to purchase a PTP T-1 vs a VPN setup over the internet we count ourselves lucky. You can almost always get great performance over a PTP T-1 vs the open internet where you just have to 'hope' the UDP packets get there in time.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help