atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: usr_hsc SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/23/09 08:24 PM
Hey everyone, been reading this forum for a few years now. First, just want to say thanks! for all the help I've gotten here.

We just put a 7100 into service and the customer requested that we install TAPIT EX multi user version to track call volumes. Got TAPIT installed on their server, (just a peer to peer) win XP for file sharing/storage with a mapped DATA drive is all. Everything is working fine except it loses connection with the smdr of the phone system. Will go all day and run fine and sometime she will have to go in and restart the IP collector(software in TAPIT that connects to the system smdr). Doesn't seem to be a specific time when it quits. Anyone here used TAPIT or know if there are some keep alive settings in mmc or in the router config that will correct this problem. I've talked to Samsung tech support and TAPIT tech support and the corporate IT guy, they all say it a networking problem. The system is on private LAN no VOIP pretty much basic small office system. The IT guy gave us port forward on the system so we can access remote. All that works fine. Anything I can pass on to him that I could try. I'm sorry I don't know the router model, I think it's a higher end Linksys. I could find out tomorrow. Would log in the router show a disconnect? I don't have access to the router. Well I do, but I won't just go in without his OK!
Just wanted to go ahead and get this post out. I think I searched through every smdr post here and really didn't find anything specific to this. Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/23/09 08:56 PM
I have installed TAPIT on a lot of systems without problems, but I have not put it on an OS7100.

I know you'd like a quick answer, but I don't have one. I'll try to get time early next week to load TAPIT on a spare machine at the office and connect it to our OS7100 in the lab.

Did you talk directly to Samsung Tech Support or was it your distributor?

Feel free to send me a PM so when can get into more in depth discussions.
Posted By: Tip & Ring Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/24/09 05:32 AM
My experience with SMDR on the Samsung systems is that many outside variables can kill the connections. For instance if I am monitoring SMDR and somebody else on the network decides they would like to monitor SMDR as well. They can knock me off the connection by simply pointing there PC to the same IP and port. Basically, the connection is available to anybody that wants it. Second, if the PC some how has a memory spike and drops the connection there is no retry or keep alive on that protocol to keep the connection up. I have set up SMDR with a laptop and a cross over cable before and the connection will never drop because there is no other traffic to contend with and no other applications being ran on the laptop. So the people you have talked to are probably accurate in stating that it is an outside variable. I have had the most success by installing a PC with a dual NIC. This would act as a buffer between the network traffic and the application. Also, make sure that the PC is dedicated to this function alone. Just a short loss in communication on the PC side could cause the connection to drop. Hope this makes sense and helps you.
Posted By: usr_hsc Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/24/09 05:34 AM
I talked to our distributor actually. He told me he had talked to Samsung about smdr loosing connection when the system was on a public, static ip. I know this was a problem. I have several systems that are on the public only side and have tried to monitor the smdr that way, and within 20 min or so it will lose the smdr connection. He told me that if I put the system on private and do the port forwarding route it should work better. And it does. Our distributor has his smdr monitor running on his system and says it will periodically go off but it's usually over the weekend, maybe once a month. I think he just monitors it using extra putty. I have a test 7100 running now with TAPIT and its been running for about 36 hours now. I will check when I get to the office this morning.
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/24/09 06:08 AM
The suggestion by Tip & Ring is a very good idea and that is what I was going to do in the lab. If you put TAPIT on its own PC with two NICs you can run a crossover cable directly to the LAN port of the OS7100.

I would suggest putting the NICs in separate networks. For example... the customer's LAN is a 192.168.0.0 network. The NIC that connects to the LAN would be in that network. The other NIC would get a 10.0.0.0 network and the OS 7100 would get an IP in that network.

If you need remote access... you can setup IT on the PC running SMDR. Get remote access to that PC and then connect to the OS7100 for maintenance.

You can also find scripts available that can ping the OS7100 from the PC and send an e-mail if it fails to get replies for a specified time. This would alert you to a potential loose of SMDR connectivity.
Posted By: usr_hsc Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/24/09 07:25 AM
We've had our test system on our network running now for about 48 hrs. and haven't lost connection yet. Our network pretty much mimics theirs.I guess this may take some time to sort out. But as long as she checks it in the morning and make sure she's still collecting data, restarting if necessary, its been working great! Just adding another routine to her day, especially a network/software related one! She's a pretty busy office manager. Been understanding so far, though. The two nic's does sound like a good route to try. I'd be working long distance with the IT guy on that, though, and would want to make sure that it would solve the problem. I'm open to any suggestions. I certainly appreciate your help so far.
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: SMDR losing connection over lan - 04/24/09 09:03 AM
PM received.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help